andrewstewart

Holes cut into the ribs on my new Cobalt!

>Do I wish that I hadn't posted the question and >saved myself the ridicule? Of course I do. I wish I >had never posted on this forum, asking what I >thought was an innocent question and hoping to >receive an honest reply.

You might as well have posted on rec dot:S

Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

If someone does or does not know what a cross port is, does that automatically make them a bad and unsafe skydiver? Is it an utter impossibility that I can be a safe skydiver without knowing what a crossport is?

We've been over this. Of course it makes you a very bad and very unsafe skydiver. I'll bet you can't even fall stable or land on your feet. Sheesh kid, come back when you've learned everything there is to know about everything and then we'll talk.

-
Jim

"come back when you've learned everything there is to know about everything and then we'll talk"

Dude, that's now my sig ;-)

I learned what crossports were on maybe my 60th jump, and a year in the sport. I was trying to pack, then suddenly spied a huge rip inside my canopy! I got on my hands and knees and was trying to assess the damage, when someone came up and kindly told me what it was.

I wish your experience had been similar.
Skydiving is for cool people only

>Do I wish that I hadn't posted the question and >saved myself the ridicule? Of course I do. I wish I >had never posted on this forum, asking what I >thought was an innocent question and hoping to >receive an honest reply.

You might as well have posted on rec dot:S

Incredible isn't it? I would have never picked wreck dot over this forum, but now I would seriously reconsider.

dont sweat it dude. The opinions that you got are only a small percentage of viewers/posters. I dont think there should have been any issue even if you did have low jump numbers. Maybe you had a cobalt 190 and weighed like, 110 lbs. So what dude, you didnt know what cross ports are - I'm sure there's alot of people unpacking their mains right now to see if their canopies have holes in them too:o

Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

Andrew i would like to apoligize to you,about my previus post.I just wanted to point out that i think its sad that SOMEONE(im sure you aint the only)dont have the interest in how it works.

I wish that I hadn't posted the question and saved myself the ridicule? Of course I do. I wish I had never posted on this forum, asking what I thought was an innocent question and hoping to receive an honest reply.

I think you got your honest reply,you just got some ekstra commet whith it;)
Take what you can use,leave the rest.. and get you a## out in the blue..wish i could..he he

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

SHHH he may be able to give you his personal info... but then he wold have to kill you..

Why don't you bait more people? Nobody has to release information about themselves on this Website. If it isn't in their profile, it's probably for a reason. Respect other peoples' right to privacy. It's really that simple.

Alternatively, you could just start the whole argument again.....and then maybe you could post your past "baiting history" in your profile for everyone to see......

>This is where someone replies and tells me I'm horrifically negligent in
> my approach to the sport for not doing so.

Not at all; it's just something you missed. Other people miss other stuff. I knew someone on the 300-way who didn't know how legstrap keepers worked until I told them.

>It just so happens I didn't know about crossports so I posted trying to
>find out, and now I get this. In this case, ignorance might have been bliss.

Naah. Ignorance in this sport all too often means injury or death. It's worth asking about stuff like that even if people overreact.

[:/]ANDREW...I don't know you personally, as many on this forum, but you have the right to ask the moderator to lock this thread. I believe, that you got 2 to 3 good answers to your question, that should satisfy. Apart from that, this thread turned into a feeding frenzy, alltough many people have tuned in and maybe learned a lot about crossports. There are easier ways to get info, like your local rigger and fellow jumpers, your instructor and DZ owner. This is a worldwide forum, and it doesn't feel right that you should feel hurt and discouraged from posting here. I hope you carry on and post new questions, because if you don't, what do I or others have to say? Often the questions that get asked on a venue such as this, help in improving the overall safety of the sport.[:/]

Reply deleted so this idiocy will go away

People are way too touchy and read way too much into things. I am not in charge of other peoples paranoia..the government is. GO JUMP or something already. At least I believe some skydivers do that. At least I do.

Amazon

There are no such thing as a stupid question :)Most people notice crossport early in their skydiving career, so it seemed possible that you might had low jump numbers and where starting to ride a HP canopy. Thats why some people were conserned.
Maybe it's better if we all post those conserns in PMs rather than on the public threads.

Anyway, this thread has provided some good information on cross ports between all the noise. I've noticed the crossports in my canopies, but someone here mentioned that they aren't in all ribs on all canopies. Is that maybe a source for closed end cells?
The next time I pack I will try to locate which ribs got crossports and where and how big they are on my Hornet. I don't have problems with closed end cells, but I realised more on how crossports controls the inflation of a canopy.
Would modifications to the crossports maybe be a way to fix canopies that opens hard/slow?
Will a canopy with many crossports be less subjected to collapsing in turbulence?

I know now that I know way to little about crossports because I now got so many questions about them...:o:)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

"Did it not cross your mind that it's possible for someone to be perfectly accomplished as a skydiver"

It never crossed my mind. Not for an instant. If you think you've ever done a single perfect skydive - or are "perfectly accomplished" you are wrong. There is no perfect skydive.

That's why the worlds best are out there training.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

>You're trolling, right? You have a Cobalt and you don't know what a crossport is?

Why has it become so common to assume that anyone who asks an odd question is a troll?

There are experienced jumpers who don't know what crossports are.

There was someone on the 300 way who didn't know how to stow their legstraps.

There was a jumper with over 200 jumps who was jumping with a cypres but didn't know what it was or how to turn it on.

There was a jumper we had at Brown who jumped a throwout for the first time, but never let go of it because it didn't say to do that in the SIM.

There are people with 35 jumps who really try to buy Stiletto 97's.

There are experienced jumpers who don't know how RSL's work.

So what I'm saying here is that you can assume it's a troll if you want, but if you just answer their question you could save someone's life. And that's probably worth being seen as 'feeding a troll.'

Yes,

These are the things why in Europe -according to my knowledge- in all FAI countries the students have to pass several written and practical tests and exams before they got out from the student status and got right to jump with their own rig.

These tests and exams make sure that the damn ass student is not only falling out of that plane but has some basic knowledge about aerodynamics and the functionality of the parachute and at least knows the name of all part in it and they have to learn why for they are there....

When i started parachuting (I use this word instead of skydive) a good friend of mine said that learn and remember all small details on your rig, many people died during the development of the modern parachutes and rigs. Every small feature has many names on it, those name who gave their life in order to draw the attention of great inventors and riggers to develop a safer and better stuff for us.
And I say it seriously.

If anyone outhere is proud not to know some basic thing about the equipment he/she is jumping with the he/she should sit down and think about those heroes who gave their lives to this sport.

It is all about respect.

And to the topic opener.. remember, there are no stupid questions in this sport, never.

Blue skies

Bill - I'm sorry. But a dude with 400 jumps who does not know what a crossport is, or how to stow his legstraps on the 300 way - I just can't beleive that.

It's like a dude who's been in 300 fire fights who doesn't know where his mag release button is, or an olympic athlete who needs his coach to tie his laces.

I simply cannot beleive it. ITS PART OF OUR 1ST JUMP COURSE!

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Patrick ,
Can you tell me what paranoia and insecurity have to do with this particular forum? You started out with some good questions in Feb. in several forums, now you only seem to want to belittle people. More good information is needed in this forum not personal attacks and you seem to be doing it more and more from the sum total of your posts. Good information from people with experience could save your life. Aggie has left the website because of the TUDE he got from you and Andrew. He provided value to many of the forums here. You have 11 jumps... as you stated in your 27 Feb 27 post questioning your failure to progress in your training. I for one could care less what you think of my picture. If you want to talk about things ugly you only need to look inward.

Amazon