andrewstewart

Holes cut into the ribs on my new Cobalt!

I've just received my new Cobalt in the post from Atair.

On examining it I can see circular holes cut deliberately into every rib. They are placed about four or five inches down into the rib. Some ribs have holes which are about two inches in diameter, some have holes which are smaller - probably less than an inch in diameter.

Forgive my ignorance, but why exactly?

I don't remember the demo Cobalt I jumped several months ago having those holes... perhaps I didn't look hard enough?

- Andrew

The reason why I asked is that you said yourself that you don't know much about canopies, so I'm hoping that you don't have low jump numbers and a higher wingloading.

Just trying to help keep you from the same fate I've personally seen 5 others have. 3 are dead, 1 will eventually make a full recovery, the other is blind and has just started walking again after 2 years of rehab.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I posted to get advice and I was grateful to receive it.

I did *not* post so that I could enjoy getting jumped on by, well... I'll leave it unsaid.

I respectfully decline to post either my jump numbers or wing loading, and no - it's not because I have "something to hide".

Free society dude!

- Andrew

I was in no way trying to "jump on" you.

I'm honestly concerned/curious.

Sorry, bro, you may be well in your ability and wont' get hurt, I fully hope that is true. I've just seen too many people dead/seriously hurt in the short 3 years I've been in the sport.

With that said, understand that I am by no means a canopy nazi, there's no way I could be, I jump a fully elliptical canopy at a loading just under 1.7 and do high performance landings.

Take care, good luck, enjoy your new canopy!

Free society dude!

Yep - you're right. However, unfortunately we (society) have to deal with the repercussions of people hooking it in. But I guess you must know what you're doing when it comes to your canopy.

Sad thing is - it only takes a couple of morons to ruin the "free society" and have it bogged down by rules because they didn't have the foresight to regulate themselves. Sure hope you aren't one of them.

But like I said - maybe it doesn't apply to you....right?

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Free society dude!

Yep - you're right. However, unfortunately we (society) have to deal with the repercussions of people hooking it in. But I guess you must know what you're doing when it comes to your canopy.

Sad thing is - it only takes a couple of morons to ruin the "free society" and have it bogged down by rules because they didn't have the foresight to regulate themselves. Sure hope you aren't one of them.

But like I said - maybe it doesn't apply to you....right?

Blue skies
Ian

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more.

Cool.

I was being friendly the entire time, sorry you took it the other way.

As I'm sure you know, even at a lower wingloading, it can bite. I blew my knee out on a lower wingloading then what I have now.

Doesn't matter if you agree with me. The FAA doesn't give a crap what any of us think....think thats going to stop them if we keep killing ourselves under canopy.

FYI I jump a highly loaded canopy too so I'm not in the game of regulation, but am more interested in education.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

If what you predict is true (that the FAA will introduce more regulations if people keep getting killed under canopy) then why haven't they mandated the use of AADs yet?

You said:

"it only takes a couple of morons to ruin the "free society" and have it bogged down by rules because they didn't have the foresight to regulate themselves"

So by your thinking, Tom Piras is a "moron" who should be chastised for going in because he didn't switch on his Cypres, right?

If what you predict is true (that the FAA will introduce more regulations if people keep getting killed under canopy) then why haven't they mandated the use of AADs yet?

They have, for students and tandems. The fact is, not many people die because they didn't have an AAD. Last year, 4 people died from no pulls or low pulls. How many people were injured or killed under good canopies in the last week? I think the number is something like 4. In the last seven days!

If 30%+ of traffic accidents could be prevented by placing limits on horsepower, you bet the government would do it.

If 30%+ of traffic accidents could be prevented by placing limits on horsepower, you bet the government would do it.

It probably wouldn't make any difference...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=453925

I don't think that risk homeostasis applies to extremely low time jumpers who choose to buy extremely small canopies. They have no base level of risk to compare to. Same thing with a kid who is given a souped up Trans Am for his 16th birthday.

It probably wouldn't make any difference...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=453925

I don't think that risk homeostasis applies to extremely low time jumpers who choose to buy extremely small canopies. They have no base level of risk to compare to. Same thing with a kid who is given a souped up Trans Am for his 16th birthday.

I was referencing risk homeostasis regards your statement about driving, not canopies, where I believe it holds.

I think Canopy restrictions are what we should be more worried about. More people kill themselves under canopy trying to do high performance landings than people who go in without an AAD. Aggie is just being a good neighbor. People are always trying to get canopies that they are not ready for. Just look at Bytches post titled "talking to a dead man" in general skydiving. We all need to look out for each other when it comes to this stuff. You asked a question that, honestly you should have known the answer to. I mean do you buy a 4x4 truck without knowing what 4x4 means?
Dom

Oh! I gotta post before this thread gets locked!

:ph34r::ph34r:

Seriously though, how did you arrive at what ever experience level you are currently at and not know or be told about cross-ports?:|

Ken

I don't feel that I should be embarrassed about it. It's not one of those things which is going to kill you if you don't know about it - although I'm sure someone is going to jump in here and tell me I'm wrong... that seems to be the modus operandi here.

I asked an innocent enough question, I got an answer from Hook, and that should have been the end of it. Unfortunately, it seems like a standard thing to jump on people and question (and or bellittle) them for their supposed lack of knowledge.

Sigh.

SO there I was, waiting to learn to pack, with the instructor's canopy in front of me. While waiting for him, I was examining the canopy...and I noticed all these holes! Panicking, I made mention of these holes to him; after laughing at me for a while, he pointed out just how much I have to learn about canopies and their construction...and then proceeded to teach me how to pack. This was jump number 11, I think...I don't have my log book handy.

I tried to click on your profile, just to get an idea, but cannot find your profile. You're right, it's a free country...and sometimes, freedom of speech includes ignoring someone who is not willing to listen to others who're just trying to assist. It also includes ignoring someone who is trying to yank your chain...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~