bodypilot90

Jumping a dc3

A fully loaded 3 will climb like a pig, on a hot day it will climb like a hot pig with a full load it will climb even slower.

Watch some video's on utube of the Liberty parachute team demo jumps at oskash.

They use a sweet looking 3 with only 5-6 jumpers, leave the seats and belts in and only go high enough for a crowd pleasing demo.

Contact Twardo for more info.

R.

http://youtu.be/9-QH7f1SSyo

Here's something ya don't see everyday...and may never see again...

Three DC-3's in formation...from the bottom side in free-fall! B|

http://youtu.be/vLouO_bIL78

Tough job, but somebody has to do it! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've flown them both commercially and as jump ships. They're magic in a way that other airplanes just aren't. Not the kind of magic that makes you want to fly nothing else, but it's a "real airplane" in a sense. You feel as though can see and feel how it works, rather than stuff being hidden behind plastic doors and software.

It's a design that they just got right.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

we all once went to Goderich Canada, ( maybe in the late 70s ) on the east shore of Lake Huron for a DC3 boogie that advertised " 5 dollar skydives "!!! :o:D seems to me though, that the price was MORE... once we had arrived...:P;)

we were also blessed in the late 80's and early 90s to have a local DZO/Pilot/Jumper host an annual
DC-3 Boogie at a county airport which was not a normal DZ, but was close and convenient for EVERYbody who wanted to "come out and play"......We had Mr. Douglas once or twice and then The Bird Machine for a few years, and Then Fred Jernigans' "Lucaya Air" for the last 5 or 6 boogies.....(my favorite) That boogie later became an annual CASA boogie... which wasn't a bad thing.. but not quite so nostalgic....
The batavia boogie as it was known,,,,JUSt the MOST fun, ever. the county airport had the runway length we needed, and we had the enthusiastic and energized crowd to fill it.... The event(s) drew people from all Over , NY, NJ , Penn., OHIO and Canada!!!

can't be certain now,,, just how much we paid for a skydive outta One.. but it seems to me that 16 bucks sounds right ;):)
too bad that they are now " novelty aircraft" instead of just a "regular jumpship"...
ahhhhh the good old days !!!....

jt
A3914
D12122

We're sittin' at a late nite DZ bonfire 30 some years ago when we hear off in the distance ~ the ole Douglas crank up and then taxi toward the hangar.

One newer jumper says, "Every time I hear a DC-3 start up it reminds me of an old Harley."

An old salt that had been quietly nursing his beer all night pipes in with ~ "Well ...every time I hear a Harley...I think of that DC-3!" B|

It ALL just a matter of perspective I guess! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

A fully loaded 3 will climb like a pig, on a hot day it will climb like a hot pig with a full load it will climb even slower.

R.

Going to 21,000ft for Roger Nelson's 300 way attempts we had to take off 30 minutes before the Otters.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi John

At the boogie at LP we're practicing some songs for the cock choir.

One of the yutes asks what a 3?[:/]

Almost Back in the day We Had to take off about 15 min in the howard before the 180 for a 8 way formation load.and we were only going to 9.5 or something.

Wuffo the C-47's in twardo's video had the white stripes on the wings and fuselage.:D:D

KRIP

One Jump Wonder

I've flown them both commercially and as jump ships. They're magic in a way that other airplanes just aren't. Not the kind of magic that makes you want to fly nothing else, but it's a "real airplane" in a sense. You feel as though can see and feel how it works, rather than stuff being hidden behind plastic doors and software.

It's a design that they just got right.

Wendy P.

I agree on the "magical" part.

Annoying as all hell from a practical standpoint. The radial engines leak oil worse that an AMF Harley, blow jugs on a fairly regular basis, put out a cloud of smoke that can be seen on satellites when they start.

BUT...

They always have and always will get my heart going when I hear one. More so to hear one start. There's something unique, special and magical about that sound.

And as far as "getting it right", it was designed in the 30's and was still commercially viable as a cargo plane well into the 80's. And probably would have continued longer if Warren hadn't hung PT-6s on them (along with a lot of other things in the turbine convo).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

We're sittin' at a late nite DZ bonfire 30 some years ago when we hear off in the distance ~ the ole Douglas crank up and then taxi toward the hangar.

One newer jumper says, "Every time I hear a DC-3 start up it reminds me of an old Harley."

An old salt that had been quietly nursing his beer all night pipes in with ~ "Well ...every time I hear a Harley...I think of that DC-3!" B|

It ALL just a matter of perspective I guess! ;)

hey...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3844262;search_string=%26quot%3Bharley%20davidson%26quot%3B;#3844262
:ph34r:

>12,500 about 20 minutes too.

Wow. With the old Perris 3 we'd get there when we got there. Sun might still be up, might not be. Was hard to say.

I seem to recall during the 20 way comp's we had 2 teams plus camera on each load, so that is 42......More than likely refueling each trip,, to make up wieght! Of course we weren't using belts or seats either!

Mde for miserable jumps in winter, if you were stuck close to the door!