bodypilot90

Jumping a dc3

every week when I need to go on a long test drive. It goes past a couple of DC3's that belong to a non-profit. If the owner says it's ok, (I spoke with them and they say it might be ok IF i do all the work) I thought if i made it a fund raiser for them, we all win. How many jumpers can fit in a DC3, What about the door, what about seat belts. The planes are 25 miles from a dropzone that has had a DC3 many moons ago. Ideas on anything else I am missing or need to look out for? Anyone what to come along?

A 3 should hold 40 jumpers and would require the belts, if it's got a cargo floor it should be no problem building the belts but it cost some bucks to do in hardware. Also a 3 is more then 12500 LBS and can no longer be operated on part 91 I don't recall the part it's now required to operate under 121? I don't think it's 135 unless doing commercial op's and I can't see too many 135 dc-3 running around due to the cost to maintain a 3 to 135.

I've been wonder the same thing and have not look in to it more..... YET. There a some turbine 3's in my woods. Skip Evens in Perris is the only one I know who still operates a 3, but I think Larry Hill still has one too? And they would be your best contact for info on dc3 operations in today world.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/1/6/0/1358061.jpg
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Also a 3 is more then 12500 LBS and can no longer be operated on part 91 I don't think it's 135 unless doing commercial op's and I can't see too many 135 dc-3 running around due to the cost to maintain a 3 to 135.

Since the DC-3 has a cargo capacity of more than 6,000 pounds it would have to be operated under Part 125.

The only issue with the plane being more than 12,500 pounds is that the PIC (an ATP under 125) would have to have a type rating and it would have to be operated by a crew of two per its type certificate.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

A fully loaded 3 will climb like a pig, on a hot day it will climb like a hot pig with a full load it will climb even slower.

Watch some video's on utube of the Liberty parachute team demo jumps at oskash.

They use a sweet looking 3 with only 5-6 jumpers, leave the seats and belts in and only go high enough for a crowd pleasing demo.

Contact Twardo for more info.

R.

Don't really remember putting 40 jumpers on a DC 3. Maybe some did but seems like we used to put 32 or 33 on ours.

They were usually in the low 30s, but I remember as many as 40.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

every week when I need to go on a long test drive. It goes past a couple of DC3's that belong to a non-profit. If the owner says it's ok, (I spoke with them and they say it might be ok IF i do all the work) I thought if i made it a fund raiser for them, we all win. How many jumpers can fit in a DC3, What about the door, what about seat belts. The planes are 25 miles from a dropzone that has had a DC3 many moons ago. Ideas on anything else I am missing or need to look out for? Anyone what to come along?

Do yourself a favor and find a C-47. They have the bigger door.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Don't really remember putting 40 jumpers on a DC 3. Maybe some did but seems like we used to put 32 or 33 on ours.

We were all younger, thinner and lighter in those days. Just as sexy though.

Also, how weird is it that the standard boogie plane everyone learned to duck walk in is now a mysterious jump ship.

but I think Larry Hill still has one too?

Yep. Here's a relatively recent post on its status.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4241482;#4241482
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I thought the early ZHills Turkey Meet 40-way competitions were derived from the ability of the DC3 to carry 40 jumpers. Also, I think 40 was routine on busy days when we had "PhoenixAir" at Zhills but I was under the impression that it could operate profitably with fewer jumpers.

Do yourself a favor and find a C-47. They have the bigger door.

"PhoenixAir" at Zhills was a C-47 but the rearward "half" of the doorway was not used. There was a door in place that remained closed and essentially changed the doorway to a DC-3 configuration. Something to do with keeping the exit point more forward, whether for CG considerations or for minimizing the possibility of tail strikes, ...or both. Like this.

we have two dc-3s at our dz, neither fly. but they sure are fun to drink beer in. they used them for mosquito control a few years ago. one is silver with a bunch of jungle animals painted on it, seemed fitting! id like to jump one someday, and the jet.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

I've posted this before in History & Trivia...
Adjacent to the Oshkosh Airport (Twardo maybe able to verify this) there is a maintanace facility rebuilding DC-3's. They have many aircraft sitting around waiting to be worked on or just for parts?? I hope one of you wealthy DZO's order a turbo version and bring it to a DZ near me. B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Put me down for at least 3 jumps.... No matter where in Florida.

Oh and we used to get 40 + video in the Southern Cross. 12,500 about 20 minutes too.

I think my last DC-3 jump was a beach jump at Sebastian from Mr. Douglas. 3-way :S. Me, Captain Fun and a friend of his.

Adjacent to the Oshkosh Airport (Twardo maybe able to verify this) there is a maintanace facility rebuilding DC-3's. They have many aircraft sitting around waiting to be worked on or just for parts?? I hope one of you wealthy DZO's order a turbo version and bring it to a DZ near me. B|

It's the Basler shop. They created the BT-67 in the mid-80's. Even before that, Basler was one of the biggest rebuilder/dealers of the DC-3. They used them in their own air cargo business, and Warren wanted to make it better. There were times that they had a dozen or more in various condition sitting around, plus a hangar full of engine parts.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It's the Basler shop. They created the BT-67 in the mid-80's. Even before that, Basler was one of the biggest rebuilder/dealers of the DC-3. They used them in their own air cargo business, and Warren wanted to make it better. There were times that they had a dozen or more in various condition sitting around, plus a hangar full of engine parts.

Yup....and I've gotten to jump a couple of them during the EAA airshow.

Pretty weird, all new in & out...turbines whining...and it's a DC-3! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

But there's something to be said about actually being able to stand up in a jump plane :-) She may be slow, but she was good.

Some of little people could stand up in a twin beech Worst case bend your head to one side.

Flyong a 3 out of LP with a field elev of 3500' on a hot day IMO was not fun. One guy passed out on the climb to altiitude due to hypoxia.

I used to hate standing up on T,O, betwwen the pilots on the fly deck to help with the C.G.. I still remember standing up Looking at at the with noting infront of us but the windshield telling my self I hate this shit.

After the incident at perris the FAA had a seious talk with USPA all of a sudden the C.G. was no longer a issue and everone was sitting down with a seat belt.

Everyone knew we were standing up on T.O. befor perris . USPA, Self regulation,:S You wanna jump? sign the waiver and shut your pie hole. :)
Just the way it was. Trust me I didn't want to break the windshield with my head. The view wasn't B| If your going to be stupid you better be lucky.

Mist of the poor souls at perris weren't lucky on that load. a stupid lesson learned the hard way with blood.:(

Thank you FAA[:/]