Atle

Nikon D70s with cable remote!

Good news for freefall photographers who would like to get the Nikon D70, but didn't because it didn't have a cable remote option.

The D70 will be replaced by D70s, and its got cable remote!

Nikon have still not released the news, but they put out the usermanual by accident on their japanese website. It has now been removed, but I found a pdf usermanual on another japanese website, and it looks real.

Looks like most of the specifications are the same. Same 6Mp ccd and same shooting speed, 3fps. Some minor upgrades like 2.0 inches LCD monitor and better battery. May be more, but I haven't looked trough the whole 219 pages user manual....

Don't know when it will be for sale, but some rumors say may/june.

There's also a cheaper dslr coming, the D50.

Atle Dahl

Here's the link to the japanese site: http://www.cnphotos.net/news/news/syqc/new/2005/03/31/200533185335.htm
See what I'm saying? Thats what I'm saying! What am I saying? I DON'T KNOW!!

I knew it when I was buying that camera that they would do something like that!!!
Bastards.

Oh well, i have been very happy with my modified D70, and I appreciate the work that harbortronics did, even though it was a bit expensive.

Still, that camera allowed me accessibility of taking lots of shots, and a bunch of them got published in Parachutist and Skydiving

No complaints!
jeff D-16906

Bump

So is anyone jumping the D70s, and if so, could you let me know how you like it. I'm ready to go digital and this is they camera I plan on buying. I just was wondering if anyone has any horror stories I should be worried about.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Klingelhoefer

Another bump... I am also interested in anyone using a D70s in freefall. I already have a significant investment in Nikon gear so hopping systems to a Canon setup is not really viable for me. I did some searches but am looking for any new info.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

jimmy tavino from frontier, aka... jimmytavino on here flies a D70s. the remote is a pretty simple 3 wire setup that is pretty easy to splice a switch or plug into. the camera has a flash sync of up to 1/500th which will be nice for freefall flash (and fill flash) photography possibilities. otherwise the camera is a pretty good balance between speed and price with good overall results. it's also a marked improvement over some things about the D70.

matt

It's a good camera...and has a remote port which takes the
Model Nikon MC-DC1 cable remote. It has a pendant about the size of a cypress 'start up' switch. 3 feet of wire and a plug which inserts into the camera body into a designated port..
As newshooter said... we were able to splice a conceptus tongue switch in place of the factory pendant... I made maybe 2 dozen jumps with it during the later part of last fall...It will fire many many shots in succession and if you pause for a few seconds,, it's ready right away for another burst...
I have not used it with a flash attachment yet... That may slow it down a bit....
I live where cold weather limits my wintertime jumping so it'll be late springtime before I jump with it again...
The camera is sizable, but not real heavy. It weighs
1 lb. 5 oz. without battery... The battery is Li- Ion Nikon Model EN-EL3a, very comparable in size to the sony batteries which power the TRV line of camcorders..( the 120 min. ones ) I use it with a 1 Gig 80x compact flash by Lexar . The card can handle hundreds and hundreds of shots.
I have mine top mounted, side by side with a
Sony trv -27 camcorder. It is very very balanced on the top of the helmet. Front mounted, could be a
challenge, as there would be a lot of camera body and lens hanging off your forehead. I use a manfrotto quick release to mount it to a bonehead BatRak..and further secure both cameras with a web strap with plastic quick connector..
My kit came with an 18- 70 lens, which seems to work very well for me.
It's a complex camera but the owners manual is fairly easy to follow...Seems like my package price, body, lens, charger battery, usb cable, 1pin video to video rca jack, for patching right into a tv or monitor, software CDs,,,,,carrying strap ran around 1,100 $ US... maybe it can be bought for less now.. Good Luck...

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but was wondering if you ever purchased the D70s? I think I'm going to pick one up this week, to take to Dublin.

I'm torn though... I hear so much good about the Canon, I'm tempted to buy one. On the other hand, I have such a huge investment in Nikon lenses and flashes, I haven't been able to bring myself to actually dropping that kind of cash for one.

Anybody hear anything negative about the Nikon D70s since these posts?

Thanks!
Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but was wondering if you ever purchased the D70s? I think I'm going to pick one up this week, to take to Dublin.

I'm torn though... I hear so much good about the Canon, I'm tempted to buy one. On the other hand, I have such a huge investment in Nikon lenses and flashes, I haven't been able to bring myself to actually dropping that kind of cash for one.

Anybody hear anything negative about the Nikon D70s since these posts?

Thanks!
Jeff

I'm a Canon shooter.. but I've shot enough with the D70 and I know several of my friends have the D70s
I have heard no complaints about these cameras at all.
If you already have a serious investment in Nikon gear.. stick with it. Nikon is VERY VERY good equipment.. the reason that many people went Canon is (and was) because they got ahead of Nikon in the digital world..

I had a D70. I sold the D70 body on eBay and bought the D70s body last year as soon as it became available. I LOVE IT. It took a few weeks for me to get the wire remote though because nobody had them for several months after the D70s body came out. It was worth the wait. I was able to easily covert it to a tongue switch. The continous shooting works well.

I was able to easily covert it to a tongue switch. The continous shooting works well.

I went to buy one prior to the Dublin boogie, but they didn't have the cable shutter release (it's special order), so I decided to go one more weekend on film. After developing 4 rolls of blank Fuji Reala, I realized my film camera wasn't advancing film.... I want to cry...:(

Anyway, I've had a D70 (not the D70s) for a couple years now, but don't want to jump with it, since I need it clean and functional for non skydiving photography. I love it, but I'm having a hard time judtifying to my conscience that I need another camera.

Jeff

Nikon D70s + Nikkor 18-70 (kit) is about the same price as Canon 20D + 18-55 (kit).
AFAIK the lens that comes with canon is cheap, while Nikon puts a desent lens to the box.

Which one to buy? Nikon or Canon? I will not be able to buy extra lens, they are expensive. Will have to go with kit.

https://www.facebook.com/1skydive/

Ordered a 14mm Sigma lens (used off ebay), so that'll equate to a 21mm on the D70s. Also bought the cable release.

Hopefully 21mm won't be too wide for tandems...

As soon as they arrive, I'm gonna buy the D70s body from Ritz Camera, along with their extended warranty.

Damn, that's alot of money.... Running out of stuff around the house to sell! :D

Jeff

I would go with the Canon 20D faster frames per second (5), larger buffer (23) jpegs, larger mega pixel (8.2) CMOS sensor

Your are right the Canon kit lens is not all that good

Nikon D70s digital camera specifications
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d70s.asp

Canon EOS 20D digital camera specifications
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos20d.asp