Niklasp

sony DCR-PC1000

The problem looks like old 8mm tape flutter if I understand what I read correctly

Yes, it looks like tape flutter or like the white balance keeps shifting... from what I understand the iris has a problem deciding where close when there is an inconsistant background... I only saw the problem when shooting on level or below a subject... it was not an issue shooting formations from over top.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

He has flown it in every oreintation and the picture quality is great.

Thanks for this info! I see you have "BlackBoxPC1000" listed on your site as "only weeks away". I hope that's soon 'cause I'm leaning towards buying one in the next 5-7 days.
- Chris Norton
Vivid Views: Thousands of skydiving pictures online

Hey,

Got my PC1000 this past week from my ins. company as my 350 was stolen from my car...

First impressions are similar to all the others here: Much hotter looking camera than the 350. 3 jumps this past weekend with it and all of them turned out awsome! I cannot believe the colour out of this thing! Very impressed with it so far!

~Jeff

I'm thinking about PC1000 now because my old PC104 is crashed again...:( It simply didn't survive in basejumping.[:/]
What about PC1000 and hard openings? (old PC104 turned off every opening)
Between two evils always pick theone never tried

I just recently purchased the DCR-PC1000 and have tried to connect and use the Tongue Switch. I cannot get the switch to work for either stills or video. Can you tell me if there is anything I need to set on the camera or adjust to make this operational? How is your working on the PC1000?

By the way all, this camera is awsome!B| The quality of video is exceptional. I am using a Black Box setup but will be unhappy if I cannot use the lanc feature...>:(

As I said in your other thread, the conceptus is not a LANC controller. The plug is the same size, but what your camera needs is a LANC controller in that port (like a CamEye or CamEyeII) ... and no video camera I know of has a remote shutter release port. The conceptus is a simple remote shutter release; no electronics included.

I've got a PC1000 that I ordered fro B&H in August. I don't do camera flying professionally - just an artistic hobby and I shoot friends when I jump with them.

No floating iris problems on mine. I shoot with both diamond and stealth lenses depending n the need. I keep wanting to jump it without the wide angle but just never quite get around.

I do ground shots with a Canon XL-2 and it's easy to put the two clips together without post color matching between the clips.

The "smooth interval recording" is a nice feature that I've used on the obligatory clouds but have some great packing area time lapse that's "enlightening".

I jump it in a 2K Compistes FF2 with cam eye II. Works as advertised.

I prefer to work in 16 X 9 which it handles very well but it also does the 4 X 3.

I shoot stills with it when I am too lazy to dig out the digital still camera. I'm very happy with the quality of the shots as compared to earlier video cam stills. They still far well short of a Still SLR.

I'd like a fire wire on the camera body so I could leave the dock at home, and I found the puttons that have to be pushed to put in in record in the dub mode a bother, but it works fine dubbing. I wlao wish you could use the flash in still mode with a lense installed but you cannot without a shoe mounted flash.

So, bottom line for me - does what I want, no complaints. I use it on the ground as well as in the air and have experienced no problems outside of operator error.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

If you want to see some video from a PC1000 check out my web site. The jumps are listed by date. Look at the most recent, they're the best cuz I finally figured out how to make my video encoder deinterlace the whole clip.

These vids are encoded, so they're not as good as they are right off of the camera. No 3 ccd/cmos problems yet. Havn't tried wide screen or cinematic mode yet.

Overall I love it. Got a box for it from a skydiver/videographer who makes camera accessories, local at Eloy.

http://www.sprinc.org/order.htm

It's a hard plastic shell that makes it easy to pop the camera out of it and put it in it's charger.

http://www.SkydiveVids.com

Say, I ran to the Sony Style store at the mall... The guy behind the counter said that he "was told" that a few of the Sony models had an issue with wind blowing into the camera causing the tape to have tracking issues on the head as the tape "was blown around inside", and thus, he recommended using gaff tape to seal all the seams/opening where air could get into the camera...

Anyone heard of this on the PC 1000 or any other currently produced Sony???

I played with the camera. Felt nice... But I could not see any difference in color or contrast side by side with the HC42 on the small LCD screen and the store employee just did not think my desire to hook the cameras up to the 50" TV was worth it.:S

Wow, I'm impressed that the Sony guy was aware of the problem, and was upfront with you about it.

There is a problem with some Sony camcorders, but they're mostly older high-end ones. Most are TRV models, like the TRV-350. People have attempted to solve the issue with Gaffers tape and other solutions, but none have been successfull.

The Sony PC1000 does not suffer any issues with wind - so in this specific case, the point is moot.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

What about PC1000 and hard openings?

I've been looking for that as well on all the pc1000 threads and did not found the answer. I will be using my camera mostly in BASE and don't want the footage to get blurry during every opening, like i.e. the pc101. Any (BASE)jumpers who have experienced this on this model?

Thanks

Ferry

What about PC1000 and hard openings?

I've been looking for that as well on all the pc1000 threads and did not found the answer. I will be using my camera mostly in BASE and don't want the footage to get blurry during every opening, like i.e. the pc101. Any (BASE)jumpers who have experienced this on this model?

Thanks

I have seen my buddies PC1000 do this on deployment . It appears that the cam zooms in,then back out again. It is very brief(about 1 second) I don't know how often it occurrs, I only noticed it on some footage I firewired from him.
Also... he is currently jumping a Spectre.

Turn your AUTO FOCUS OFF.
What you camera sees is an object called the slider coming right at it and it is getting larger. If it is going to be the predominate image, it better focus on it.

Ooh, wait, your camera decides that 1 second into focusing, the slider isn't that important and focuses on something else. I'm eding some video now and I have one jumper that this happens to every time he looks up.

Turn your AUTO FOCUS OFF.
What you camera sees is an object called the slider coming right at it and it is getting larger.

I see... And how would you explain that on BASE slider-OFF openings?!!:S

@peterpan: Thanks for the info, that's where I was looking for. I'm sure you shoot vid with autofocus off and if it happends to you every jump with a crossfire it's not the type of camera I'm looking for.

Ferry

I agree with you Cookie. I've used the Pc1000 for about 200 skydives and it's great. The color is amazing. I havn't seen any of the 3 chip problems others have talked about. Very small and light. Seems like others on this page have had problems though, don't know why some of us would and some wouldn't?????

http://www.SkydiveVids.com