Niklasp

sony DCR-PC1000

"3-chip problem"

What is the "3-chip problem"? I have a VX 1000 and its only problem is its size... I have a TRV-900 and it has a floating iris problem that only manifests itself when shooting on or below level.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

"3-chip problem"

What is the "3-chip problem"? I have a VX 1000 and its only problem is its size... I have a TRV-900 and it has a floating iris problem that only manifests itself when shooting on or below level.

J

:| I'll second that......The VX-1000 works ok...Never owned a VX 2000 or VX 2001.. but I'd bet they would be ok as well.
I think the 3 chip problem first came to light when the trv 900 was released.. It's smaller than the vx... the rough size and shape of the early TRV models.... I thought,,, HEY this smaller camcorder
could be the "ticket'..... but I waited before buying one.... Glad i did.. cause "field reports" from people using the 900 were NOT good......[:/]:(
... Even so... despite it's 'size' the VX 3 chips.. DO have a great carrying handle,,, which allows you to grab and carry a rather heavy helmet setup.... safely and easily....plus the video "ain't bad";)

LOVE people ...USE things
...... NOT .......
LOVE things ... USE people
o[:-)

I tried it for 3 or 4 jumps with different settings. But on every jump the 3 ccd problem was still there. A very nice camera, but not for skydiving so far.

Bummer.

Has anyone else tried jumping the new PC1000 (as opposed to the HC1000) yet? It's retailing now, listing at $1,299 at Sony Style, but online merchants have it going for $1049 and up (Pricegrabber.com, Shopping.com, mySimon, eBay, etc.). I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear more feedback on this unit from a skydiver perspective. If it's air-worthy, then I'll be sure to put up another comparison.

The possibility of a three chip camcorder in a PC form factor had me pretty excited, but I'm kinda feeling like I've been talking to a "hot" chick all night and the house lights just came on.

Too bad I don't drink.

Steve

;)brought one yesterday ;) £739

very light compared to the pc350 feels very plastic.
have already taken it apart to remove the hand strap 5 screws to get to it and 2 holding it in
cant seem to get the door over the lanc port off using my usual trick of using a pin to depress the locking spur on the plastic tab so it slides out but dont want to open the whole body up just yet and dont want to cut it off either just incase its no good for jumping and i need to ebay it.:(
put the red eye on it and started building the mount. will try to get it jumpable b4 the end of the weekend.:D jumping without camera is just ot the same :S
Ill let you know if there are any issues once i have jumped it.

Daedalus
Base 801

Will look forward to your feedback, Daedalus. Thanks!

I did a hasty side-by-side comparison of the PC350 and the PC1000 at Fry's a couple of days ago. Three things really stood out:
  • Weight/Form Factor: The PC1000's slimmer and trimmer
  • Color: OMFG, the PC1000's color is gorgeous, putting the PC350 to shame
  • Night Shot: MIA on the PC1000. No more spent-the-night-in-Paris videos...
I'll work on putting together a more substantial comparison as soon as Sony gets on the ball and publishes the PC1000's manual and spec sheet online.

Steve

Looks like this camera is a bottom feeder... bummer, was hoping it was like the PC100. The 24 frame per second "Cinematic" mode looks interesting on this as well. What is the size of this camera like compared to the PC10x series?

;)
managed to jump the camera once this weekend.
looks great on the camera screen in wide mode but need a wide screen tv to realy see how good it is. looks ok on normal screen. need to do more jumps to see how it realy behaves
has the camera side mounted on a renegade in a home made mount with a .3 red eye lens
tip from the wise if building a mount wrap the camera in clingfilm. i tested to see if it would stick to my plastic mounting compound and it didnt but when doing it for real i managed stick it firm and loose some parts of the body :$ but hey it still works and its not a jump camera without gaffa tape :D

base801

Thanks Base801,
I have mine coming, I should have it by friday so we can go test jumping on the weekend.

Silly question here, just by looking at the image quality on a normal TV can you tell that it's a 3ccd or higher image camera.

Keep you all in touch

The PC1000 rocks
I built a mount for it and handed the helmet and camera to a mate who is running the camera pool at the Skysisters boogie.
He has flown it in every oreintation and the picture quality is great.
The day tape production team have taken a few picture grabs and compared them to all the other cameras being used ie. PC9 through to PC350 and cleary the image quality is better.
A tip is to run the 4:3 format if your not viewing the image on wide screen.
My personel rating
Looks 8/10 we got a black one with chrome bits
Features 8/10
Image quality vs camera size and weight 10/10

Cookie
www.cookiecomposites.com

I've heard nothing but problems regarding the PC-350 and changes in temperature/humidity during freefall such as the camera shutting off.

A friend of mine has put a dozen plus jumps on his PC-1000 including putting it through a big change in temperature. No problems, he loves the camera

One more thing, I saw some of his footage he shot of a tandem. I saw no issues with the picture except for improved color of course!
- Chris Norton
Vivid Views: Thousands of skydiving pictures online

Okay, what is a "floating iris" problem???

Saw some other posts elsewhere. The problem looks like old 8mm tape flutter if I understand what I read correctly
- Chris Norton
Vivid Views: Thousands of skydiving pictures online