psuCory

Weighing the options..

Ok here's the deal.

I've got some footage. And it's pretty...no it isn't pretty, it's harsh. It's of myself in a bad situation, but I lived. Additionally there is outside vid of the 'situation'.

As most vid guys, cash is always an issue, and I think this might just be a "quick cash" avenue.

So the questions start:
1) I know it makes our sport look bad by releasing it to "public" eyes... how do you come to a monetary figure for that? It is a survival story, but I can already see 'their' announcers spinning the details.

2) Model release isn't an issue for my view.. as I'm the model. But there is an outside view, which is quite extraordinary. The vid guy that got the outside view deserves to be paid (if the original intent - get paid - is to be followed) at a fair rate. Do you calculate that at a % of total vid release cost?

3) to start the video, either of them, properly we have to show a tandem happening. This to me means that we have to get a model release from the TM and the student. Is this a correct assumption? And would a $ figure that covers the tandem + next tandem be enough for the rider? For the TM, I don't even know how to calc a $ amt. Is there a standard equasion for active participants in for-pay videos?

4) What programs are still marketing the "near snuff film" video? If I can sell this to more than 1 network, obviously the return on "selling out" goes up.

Answers and discussion (here and PM) are welcomed.

... yea I'm selling out. But I'll be back,.

1) I know it makes our sport look bad by releasing it to "public" eyes...

You just said it all. So don't sell it.

Especially since it involves a tandem. Dropzones don't advertise much, but if you show something bad involving a tandem on television!, dropzones will lose potential tandem customers.

If you're that desperate for money, find something else.

Just my opinion.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Its probably best to just keep it within the community... If you are that hard up for cash, that you could jepordize future tandem business for the DZ, and yourself (fewer tandems = fewer tandem videos), you should look at a less expensive sport. You could even get bumped from the rotation at some DZs for it.

There are a few near death or fatality videos from these parts that could have been sold for a chunk money that have not been...

J

PS... Glad your OK
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Fair enough... like I said it's just mental musings at this point. My thoughts are pretty much in line with what has been posted, in that it probably isn't worth it at any price. At least I have some great footage for the team's end of year video ;).

PPS... Me too B|

Thus my resistance to putting on sdmovies... It was going to be all out release (not really an option though) or private viewing only.

SDmovies is private viewing only. You have to have an account, not that its really private, but clips cannot be linked to as most are on the net. Just put it up on the malfunctions area and be content with possibly arming another with a piece of info they might not have thought of before to get themselves out of a heap of shit.

Just last week, I viewed a double mal that encompassed the dude yankin the shit out of his reserve risers to get his bag locked reserve out....all on his back. It worked....hes fine....and holy shit...was it exciting video. More importantly, it armed me with another "Hail Mary" possibility, if and when that time comes to bear. Hopefully no time soon.;) If at all.....

I actually spent the last couple nights trying to watermark a few of the videos that have been stolen from my site and posted elsewhere to prevent it from happening again.

I also actively do request that videos that I know were taken from my site are removed from other sites. big-boys.com or whatever it is seems to not like that idea very much.

For the most part, videos with happy endings aren't particularly exciting to the public.

Dave