aerialcameraman

Imac G5

The two higher end models come with a SuperDrive which is a DVD writer.

There seems to be some confusion out there about what formats it supports. It seems that Apple have used a bunch of different drives over the years and the call them all a SuperDrive. There web site makes a fuss about the SuperDrive in the G4 PowerBook supporting every format under the sun. They are very quiet on the subject on the iMac G5. All the documentation says "DVD-R". Part of that may be to do with iDVD 4 only supporting -R.

I have heard reports that the SuperDrive in the iMac supports +R and possibly even the RW formats. And I just got my iDVD 5 upgrade which claims to support more media formats. But I haven't yet gone out and bought any DVD's to try.

Ivan

If its a dealbreaker, it might be worthwhile getting an external DVD writer.

Sony do a good one that I got recently, the DRU 710, I think. Its at home and I'm at work.....
edit>>>Does dual layer, if you can get reasonably priced media, and +/- formats<<<
Runs fine on IEEE1394 and USB2, I'm sure it came with Mac drivers, but I'm a PC kinda guy.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I saw a dual layer drive for ale at costco a couple of days ago that included some Roxio software that ran on Macs.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I thought using dropzone.com forums was to ask questions and get answers that help. I have hand about enough of the sarcastic and hateful remarks that a person gets on these forums that are supposed to help. I ask a simple little question and get slammed with shitty remarks from people, not all people, and i thank those who help out on here, but those who just come on here to dump on people and make them feel stupid is plane shitty... I use a mac all the time at the DZ and i"m really good at it. We use a powermac G4 not an imac.. This is not the first time this has happened and i;m not the only one it has happened too. Just answer questions don't give people shit, if you don't know the answer don't answer it and don't give your two since because frankly I don't really give a shit what you think about me or how i do or don't know how to use something....
Sorry if i have offended anybody out there that really does help out on here....

I saw a dual layer drive for ale at costco a couple of days ago that included some Roxio software that ran on Macs.

iDVD will only work with the internal superdrive on the mac... If you buy an external drive, you're limited to the Roxio software or some other 3rd party app...

"iDVD will only work with the internal superdrive on the mac..."

Tut, sigh, Tsk, you don't get petulant behaviour like that from a windoze machine.:);)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

iDVD will only work with the internal superdrive on the mac

iDVD 5 (part of iLife '05) is supposed to support external burners... I think you need to have 10.3.8...

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

iDVD will only work with the internal superdrive on the mac

iDVD 5 (part of iLife '05) is supposed to support external burners... I think you need to have 10.3.8...

J

Right now there are no dual layer Superdrives available from Apple so if a person wants to burn a dual layer disk...like when you're making a backup of a DVD..you have to use non-Apple software.

Speaking of using external DVD burners and iDVD, I think that a workaround with the latest version of iDVD would be to have iDVD create a disk image of the project, mount the image and then use Roxio or maybe even Disk Utility to burn it to the external drive. Drew...what say you?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

"iDVD will only work with the internal superdrive on the mac..."

Tut, sigh, Tsk, you don't get petulant behaviour like that from a windoze machine.:);)

No, they have their own forms of petulant behavior!:);)
--
Murray

Drew...what say you?

From Apple's site:

iDVD even has a new option for those occasions when you’re between media (i.e., you haven’t made it to the store) or you’re authoring a DVD on a system without a SuperDrive. The solution? Save your project as a fully-encoded Disk Image. Not only can you burn finished projects to disc more quickly once you’re back at your SuperDrive-equipped system (after all, they’ve already been encoded, so you just have to drag the Image to a blank DVD), but Disk Images make great read-only archives.

In fact, you’ll find other ways to take advantage of the ability to create Disk Images in iDVD. Not only do Disk Images provide you with a great way of creating a master copy of your iDVD project (letting you either burn them onto a DVD or back them up to a hard drive), but Disk Images also offer another option: using the DVD Player on your Mac to preview your (virtual) DVD before you actually burn it. Yes, you’ll definitely want to give this new option a thorough audition.

I'm going to test the disk image idea and edit the post once i have a conclusion...

OK, I made a project in iDVD, I saved it as a disk image, and then i burned it using roxio toast... the only thing is that i don't have a nonsuperdrive mac with an external dvd burner to test it out with, so i did it with my superdrive equipped 12" powerbook... but I think it'll work. Good call Murrays
-drew

I have used the new disk image feature of iDVD5 and it works great! I create the image on my powerbook, and when I get back to my iMac at home, I burn the disc. So far it has worked without a hitch... and being able to preview the actual dvd before burning it is a real bonus!javascript:%20addTag('cool')

I tried having iDVD create a disk image last night as well and then burned it using Disk Utility. Worked perfectly....the only damn thing I forgot to do was to include some DVD-ROM material to see if it would include that in the disk image or not.

I am working on our club's year end video and have a number of files I want to include as DVD-ROM contents. It will be very nice if the disk image will also include that material as it makes burning additional disks very easy and it allows me to turf the DVD project.

I'll try this again tonight with DVD-ROM content and get back to everybody.
--
Murray

So, I came home from work and created a very small DVD project in iDVD and this time included some DVD-ROM content. I had iDVD create a Disk Image and then burned the disk image using Disk Utility...

Perfect!!! The resulting DVD also has the DVD-ROM content. This is great! I'll be able to create a disk image archive that will also have the DVD-ROM content so that I don't have to re-render everything in iDVD in order to make additional copies of the DVD after I burn the initial run.
--
Murray

Did you use an external non superdrive DVD burner? from what I have read in one of the mac magazines is with the new disc image feature of iDVD 5 you can now burn them using non supported external dvd burners using roxio or some similar program. I am just wondering if someone has actualy used this feature as my brand new iMac does not have a superdrive.

oh...LOVE OUR iMAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Hi Marc,

No, I used the internal Superdrive ...when I pick up a dual layer drive I will give it a whirl but that won't be real soon as our van just decided to deplete my bank account.

Glad to hear you're liking that new G5 iMac machine:)
--
Murray

yep got them all recovered...just had to ad hoc a network together to make it work. me a net work geek...well...I made it work...wasn't pretty but got it done. I am real interested in the DVD writer by lacie that uses the burner to also burn images to the front of the media....looks cool. :)
basicly been cruising the net...playing with iPhoto...playing with itunes...LOVE how it works with my iPod on the apple as opposed to the windoz machine...but the evil program I hate the most right now is Garageband...I am soooo addicted...it sux!!!!!...but I love it.:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

...but the evil program I hate the most right now is Garageband...I am soooo addicted...it sux!!!!!...but I love it.:)

You're going to have to share some of your compositions with us!
--
Murray