indyz

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT

"High-end exposure control: The EOS Rebel XT Digital retains the accurate 35 zone TTL metering of the EOS Rebel. The three metering modes (evaluative, partial, and centre weighted average) "

Does the 350D (digi rebel xt) have spot-metering?

It would appear not unless one of the above modes is another name for it.....? (from the following link)

http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
Never try to eat more than you can lift

The Circuit City in my neighborhood hasn't gotten any as of an hour ago, but apparently some have been sighted at a Best Buy.

Yep. Stopped by Best Buy yesterday evening and they actually had one in stock. It wasn't on display yet, but when they looked it up on their store computer they were surprised that they had one (and only one) there.

They took it out of the box and let me play with it. I have to agree with some who have posted on this forum...about this camera. It's lightweight and smaller, but the grip is smaller...as are the buttons. Be careful if you had fat fingers! :P

After putting the camera through it's paces, I'd still opt for the 20D if I was to trade up from the 300D I already have.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

*bump*

So has anyone had anymore experience with the Digital Rebel XT? It is rather appealing since it is lighter and cheaper then the 20D. Or should I lay out the dough for a 20D? I want to use it for tandems, I am not a camera expert (trying to learn as much as I can though!) and would love to hear more feedback. B|
thanks!

Chrissay,

If you're going to use if for tandems, you'll be very happy with both the Digital Rebel as well as the Digital Rebel XT.

What Lori is getting at (I think) is as an allround camera, she'd prefer the 20D as an upgrade from the Digital Rebel instead of the XT.

The 20D is a more advanced camera, but the XT will do great as a freefall camera!

Iwan

What Lori is getting at (I think) is as an allround camera, she'd prefer the 20D as an upgrade from the Digital Rebel instead of the XT.

Yep. I like what the digital rebel can do for me as a freefall amateur photographer. However, if you want to get into a much nicer looking photograph and step up to something a lot more advanced in its quality, the 20D is the way to go. (and if finances allowed the 1D would be nicer. :P)

ltdiver

Cool, thanks for the feedback. One question, how much does it really matter that the XT has a 14 frame burst whereas the 20D has a burst of 23? I guess I assume that the burst of 14 will get the job done?

And does anyone know about its durability? Anyone flying it now?

(thanks, I think I am out of questions for now :D)

Cool, thanks for the feedback. One question, how much does it really matter that the XT has a 14 frame burst whereas the 20D has a burst of 23? I guess I assume that the burst of 14 will get the job done?

In flying in the air, I don't even worry about the burst rate. The rate that I click is fast enough for jazz.

Now, on the ground...the burst rate is quintessential. Not necessarily for tandems, but for swoopers and other sports. Things happen way too fast for a hang-up like a small burst rate number.

ltdiver

In flying in the air, I don't even worry about the burst rate. The rate that I click is fast enough for jazz.

Now, on the ground...the burst rate is quintessential. Not necessarily for tandems, but for swoopers and other sports. Things happen way too fast for a hang-up like a small burst rate number.

ltdiver

Lori, I disagree sort of. I think 14 is plenty for burst rate for swooping... What else do you think 14 is not enough for? I do think the significant difference lies in the 3 fps vs 5 fps. And you can use to burst rate in freefall if yuo want to. I did for that thing I showed you. 45 shots in a row just cause I could and it was neat. Since I still shoot film often, I do find that I get stuck in 36 shots mode and I don't use my 20D to it's full potential sometimes. If you're clicking as slow as jazz, maybe you should listen to techno. :)

peace
lew

btw, that 23 burst rate for the 20D is for raw+jpg. I shot 45+ burst in large fine, jpg only.
it's like firecrackers.
http://www.exitshot.com

ltdiver

Lori, I disagree sort of. I think 14 is plenty for burst rate for swooping... What else do you think 14 is not enough for? I do think the significant difference lies in the 3 fps vs 5 fps. And you can use to burst rate in freefall if yuo want to. I did for that thing I showed you. 45 shots in a row just cause I could and it was neat. Since I still shoot film often, I do find that I get stuck in 36 shots mode and I don't use my 20D to it's full potential sometimes. If you're clicking as slow as jazz, maybe you should listen to techno. :)

peace
lew

btw, that 23 burst rate for the 20D is for raw+jpg. I shot 45+ burst in large fine, jpg only.
it's like firecrackers.

In my mind I was comparing the Rebel to the 20D's burst rate. That makes a HUGE difference in getting the shot of swoopers, etc. I'm comparing 4 to 23 (or even 14).

As for using the burst rate in the air. Yeah, you can and many do. I just have not found it being -needed- like on the ground. I can shoot just as fast with my Rebel as I can with my film camera. :)
(And have you noticed, I've compared myself....an 'amateur'....to others who have a 20D...'professional'....? ;) )

ltdiver

We got an XT in mid-March and my husband, William, has been flying it ever since. He loves it! Another person at the DZ also got one at the same time, is flying it as well, and likes it a lot, too. I have used it for ground shots and it is a great camera, but I also like my regular digital rebel. For flying, the XT is so much smaller and a lot lighter.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

I just got an XT and put my 20D and the XT on large jpg fine mode. Niether of them stopped or slowed for as long as I held down the button. BUT the 5fps on the 20D made for like 39 shots compared to 23 on the XT in the same time frame. The XT is also quite noisy compared to the 20D. The XT will be a great camera for jumping (and I'll be flying it tomorrow) but the 20D is by far a better camera overall.
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

So I stopped by Adray Camera last night and picked myself up a Digital Rebel XT. I checked out the 20D also, WOW, what an impressive camera, it was hard to set that one down and go with the Rebel XT. I decided though that since this is my first still camera, that the XT would be just fine. I can always upgrade later.

Adray was totally awesome and worked out a great deal with us since we ended up buying some other camera equipment for the video concession.

yay!! I can't wait for the weekend. Well hopefully I can pry the camera out of my boyfriends hands long enough to play around with it on the ground for a couple of weeks before I mount it to my helmet. :)

Faster - yes,
Smaller - well, I wasn't able to find big difference, with lenses 300D and 350D sizes are moe than comparable.
Better - ???
Chaper - definitely NOT.

An it is not proven yet...

I'm in doubts. Is it worth the money? $400 at least for getting 350D body instead of 300D.

I don't know where you are shopping, but the cheapest new 300D I could find was about $600. I found a used one for $450. I bought a 350D for $720 as posted above. In my math that's $120 more, not $400.

I'm hoping the higher burst rate (go to dpreview.com for an in depth analysis, but in 30 seconds the 350D can take over twice the number of pictures a 300D can), the higher resolution (8 vs. 6 MP), and the size and weight (there is a size difference and dpreview provides a neat ovarlapping contrast), will make it worth the extra money.

We'll see.

- Dan G

Getting back to the remote switch. I'm looking at putting together a tongue switch for my new 350D. I see on www.paraequip.com that the choices are the 2.5 mm, RCA, or bare wires ($55). I'm having some trouble here, especially since I don't have my camera with me. Does the the XT use the 2.5mm jack? That's what is looks like with the Cannon remote switch . I can't find anything online in the listed 350D specifications.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher