Miami

AFFI pov video

I use a PC105 with a cheap sunpath .45 lens that I have taken apart and unscrewed the inner lens.
Once the inner lens is unscrewed you let the camera focus and than lock it into manual focus. It will take a $30 .45 lens and give you a .3 lens with minimal distortion - you just can't zoom it in but it is cheap.

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Thanks for the replies...for those of you using a .3 have you been able to check your actual field of view to see if it really is shooting at .3? I ask because I am planning on using a low profile .3 for this but the actual field of view with it is about .4.
Thanks again...
Miami

I use a sidemounted PC 109 with a .3 lens ran all the way out for Cats A and B. I pull the lens back to about .45 for release dives. I jump my camera for every single AFF dive now. We hardly ever get anyone to buy outside video for AFF and we do not push it here at Raeford at all. I think the POV of the AFFI is superior for video debrief anyway.

On a side note, I am considering jumping my handcam glove when I do reserve side on Cats A and B just to see if that is something that may be a sellable product.

Chuck

Are you serious!!?? I'm still unsure about the safety issues of using hand-cams on tandems, but on AFF dives I think it's insane. I think there is a very high likelihood of loss/damage to the camera and/or student on a AFF gone wrong (i.e. inverted spin recovery). Even my hand mount altimeter occasionally pisses me off on PFF dives.

Canuck

Hi Chuck --

You certainly have a lot of experience...I'd like your thoughts/opinions on all the potential problems that could arise. (Folks, Chuck is a very experienced Instructor and I'm sure he's in the process of evaluating if it would be worth it)

1) Do you think your hand signals would communicate clearly and effectively with a student while wearing a hand-mounted camera?

2) As Canuck mentioned, there are all sorts of issues when it comes to spin-stops, etc. Something that large on your hand could endanger the student when you go in for a spin-stop or a roll-over. (imagine the student's face hitting your wrist-mounted camera...)

3) Entanglement potential. Think about when you have to pull out a student...I'd be worried about bridal entanglement with your camera. (for those non-instructors out there, yes, sometimes you have to use your left hand to deploy a student)

My personal opinion is there are too many inherent dangers to jump a wrist-mounted camera during an AFF jump...

Bryan

Gentlemen,

Let us not forget what we were taught in the AFF course. We as AFF JM's are to be the human tape recorders. AFF JM video is a great tool, but let us not forget that there are videio personelle for this job. If we all went out and put camera's on our helmets, then what is the purpose of the videographer? It's like the Tandem Master having the wrist mount video camera. The DZO charges for the video , and the JM does more work for the same pay. I know we all want to help the student out as much as possible, but let's face it. You get what you pay for in this sport, and also as the JM, I have enough to think about without a camera on my head. So I implore you to think about mounting a camera, and just filming what ever on the dive. Please be carefull out there.