DrewGPM

4-way video

I posted this in RW forum, but I wanted to hear from you folks too.

I've got three young teams that are all planning to compete at Nationals in 2005. They have never been there, so they are wondering what to expect from the judges. They are getting tunnel time, coaching and making a ton of practice jumps to prepare for this. I couldn't be prouder of them.

My only advice is to make sure the video person is top notch. Some of the video they had last year was tough to judge because the camera guy was too far away. In others the angle made it tough to see a specific grip.

Two Questions:

1. The team members can coaching and tunnel time, but what about the videograpger? Is there anyone holding camps or private coaching for 4-way camera flyers?

2. Beyond the video, what else should they know about? I don't want them coming back from Perris and saying "I wish I new about X!!!"

There's new rules about video, but Im not sure exactly what they mean but basically with Nationals if the judges cant see it, it diddn't happen. As far as coaching for cameramen Im sure any experienced 4way videographer can offer tips that will help out a lot. Go to the local meets and look at the video of other teams and take notes. Its a lot easier when you have a reference.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

You need to train the camera guy along with the team.

However many practice jumps the team will do, have the camera guy there for every jump. With a full season of practice, any camera flyer can make a good showing at Nats.

You will need to do two video reviews, one with the team, than one with the camera flyer debriefing the video work itself. In truth, any good camera flyer should be debriefing thier own video after each jump anyway. Even just a once over during a dub will teach you alot.

Being a part of the team, and having a season of jumps with them will go a long way. It takes a very experienced camera guy to grab a strange team and produce top quality work. Take a marginal flyer, and give him 100 jumps with the team, and his work with the team will be spot on.

There's new rules about video, but Im not sure exactly what they mean but basically with Nationals if the judges cant see it, it diddn't happen.

And this is new? ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Two of the best ways for a cameraflyer to improve (besides jumping a season with the team) is 1) get a mentor who is versed in the discipline of choice and 2) watch a top team's video over and over and over....studying their cameraflyer's technique.

When I learned a couple of us did just this. Our mentor was Stevie Novak and Mark Steinbaugh from Airspeed. We traveled to Eloy and spent a weekend 1:1 in coaching.

On top of that (and before the 'camera camp') we studied Airspeed's and the Golden Knight's videos from end to end. Forward and back.

After each and every jump, a cameraflyer -should- critically review their own tape and find areas for improvement. A little mini-debrief. If available, bring your mentor in and have them review it as well. Have them be honest. It may sting, but that's the way anyone grows.

Lastly, have a cameraflyer review your tape. A team knows what they want to see, but you can take it a step further and make it what -you- want to see as well.

ltdiver

Look it up, theres talk that they eliminated the NJ. Im waiting for some real clarification on the way it was worded, and how this works.

You don't get credit for an NJ, so what's changed? Other than the name, it still nets a team a zero. Just like before.

ltdiver

If available, bring your mentor in and have them review it as well.

Another option would be to mail a tape or DVD to your mentor after each training weekend.

It's not as good as a debrief after every jump, but if your mentor is not at your DZ, it's better than nothing.

If you can, do video for an Airspeed camp or something akin, that's a great way to learn. I've done video for a couple Airspeed camps and got tons of pointers, not just from Airspeed camera dudes, but also people like Craig and Neil who know what to look for in FS video.

Other than that, practice and take a few risks when it matters less. You're way better to find out just how close you can be without falling in on a practice jump than during a competition.

Canuck

In addition to everything that everyone has already said on the subject.

If you can swing it, try to get some feedback from a Nationals judge.

Team mates and other camera flyers are one thing, but judges can be ruthless in their assessment of what is and is not acceptable -- which is exactly what you'll be facing at a competition.

If there is -any- question about how a block needs to be presented on video (uh, 12 comes to mind), then show what you're doing to a judge and listen to what they have to say on the subject.

In judging your own performance, if it's questionable, then bust yourself on it -- that's what the judges are going to do (and even worse in some cases). Assume that the judges are going to be gunning for you personally and try not to give them -any- reason to hit that big ol' NJ button. Again, if it's questionable, assume the judges will give it an NJ ('cause they probably will).
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you can swing it, try to get some feedback from a Nationals judge.

Very good point, and something that we, at a large DZ that carries such people, tend to take for granted.

ltdiver