cmchristian

HC40 - Top or Side Mount

I know this was similarly addressed a few posts down, however I did not find the answers I was looking for there.

I was talking it over to a cameraflyer friend of mine about mounting the HC40. He recommends a top mount for the HC40 due to its width. I think that I would prefer for a side mount, but I am not sure what is the prefered method for the HC40 out there?

Thoughts from the audience?

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

Here's one for top-mount.

Looks cleaner, mounts nicer in any box created for it, up there.

There was a post not long ago that bemoaned the task of side-mounting a dbox 'cause it stuck up too far above the helmet (to get the hinges not to hit the helmet and cause it to tilt). Take a look for it.

Rule of thumb: Top mount a TRV style camera. Side mount a PC style. (although you technically -can- do the reverse).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I have a HC30E which is the same size as the 40.

I have 2 setups one is a FTP with the HC30E and Digital stills top mounted side by side, this is for tandems, FS and paying shoots.

The other is the HC30E side mounted on a protec, for AFF, student jumps and FF.

You can see both setups here , there are a couple of changes to these pics I now have a D Box for the HC30 and the 300D is now a 20D.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

I personally like to idea of Top Mount. I have a HC 40 and have it on top of a BatRack. I also have a Still I can mout as well, its on a Strobo. I thnk it is cleaner and less prone to snagging something and no issues with Riser slap. Dont get me wrong, I dont think a Side mount is bad, I just personally prefer a topmount..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

The HC series is small enough for either.

The type of planes you jump out of, and whether or not/where you'll mount a still camera might tip the scales one way or the other.

If you're always jumping larger airplanes, topmounts are nice. If you have to jump 182's, 206's and the like with any frequency, you'll dislike the top mount.

My HC30 is top mounted right now, but I'm probably going to switch it to the side like my old PC7, and mount a still on top.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.