lewmonst

All the little things about cameraflying...

I'd be careful doing that. I did that with a rig several years ago, and after less than a summer of jumping, the clips had worn the leg straps so much I had to have them replaced. Fortunately, it was an older Javelin with an articulated harness, and only two short pieces had to be replaced. If it had been a different rig (even newer rigs with articulation), the whole webbing up into the rig would have had to be replaced.

That is only as a backup, not a full time thing. The way my wings are i can actually loop the bottom end around the leg strap and clip it back on to its self. But that is a real bitch to undo under canopy.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

The way my wings are i can actually loop the bottom end around the leg strap and clip it back on to its self.

After my leg strap repair, a rigger friend made me a couple of little straps that wrap around the leg straps of any rig, and have an anchor for the wing clips to attach to. He made them so I could put them on any rig and have a wing attachment. In theory it's a great tool, but I have yet to actually use them.

That won't happen if you get one of these (see pic)
Have an RSL clip (yes I know there is a technical name for it, but I don't care and you know what I'm talking about)
attached to the end of your wings and there will never be a problem unless it's human error.

Ooh! Ooh! I care! 'Spinnaker Release', AKA 'Snap Shackle'

John

That won't happen if you get one of these (see pic)
Have an RSL clip (yes I know there is a technical name for it, but I don't care and you know what I'm talking about)
attached to the end of your wings and there will never be a problem unless it's human error.

Ooh! Ooh! I care! 'Spinnaker Release', AKA 'Snap Shackle'

John

WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS!!!

Is that what they are really called? I thought it was something different.:$

Hey Phil, if you are planning to release your wings under canopy, how do you keep from losing the little pieces you made?
It sounds like a great idea, but i would probably lose them thinking I am just releasing my normal wing.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

Hey Phil, if you are planning to release your wings under canopy, how do you keep from losing the little pieces you made?
It sounds like a great idea, but i would probably lose them thinking I am just releasing my normal wing.

Like I said, I haven't used them yet, but that wouldn't be a problem. They are little straps that velcro around the leg strap, and then have a ring on them. If you disconnect the wings, the strap is still wrapped securely around the leg strap.

Fantastic thread! B|

Ive ticked off plenty on the list... id like to add freefall nosebleed whilst filming tandem :S:ph34r:, see attached pic ( unless you are squeamish :P )
The inside of my nose was cut by the overly long teflon cable of the tandem rig on the TI infront of me going up my nostril as he shuffled around on green light... i didnt realise itd actually cut me till i left the step leaving a nice big splatter straight up the side of the plane.:$
Not thinking the tandem student would notice, i carried on and filmed his jump which looked like a slasher movie by the time id finished. ( no blood on him or the TI, but my lense was splattered all the way down )
The looks on the faces of everyone on the ground when i landed were priceless, especially his friends and family.
The student had noticed but had cooly shrugged it off as an altitude nosebleed and gallantly said it didnt spoil his jump, he even tried to insist on paying me for the vid which of course i wouldnt accept any money for.
Quite a clean-up operation afterwards, & my rig is still stained [:/]

been there,done thatB|

Our DZO took an elbow to the face by a FS jumper and busted his nose exiting a skyvan...

remember when exiting a skyvan... stiff arm the group exiting... otherwise you might just get an elbow to the nose...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Our DZO took an elbow to the face by a FS jumper and busted his nose exiting a skyvan...

f*ckin flatties....

:PHey... I'm a FS skydiver... >:(:P:D

the funny thing is that the guy who elbowed him is one of the dz's main camera flyers... he felt really bad about it... John shrugged it off... he is a seasoned 4-way competitor and I imagine he has taken more then a few, feet, elbows, etc, to the face in 4-way competition... :D

New camera "THINGS"
forgetting to change your settings EVERY FUCKING DAY BECAUSE THE DEFAULTS RESET AFTER 12 HOURS.

I also forgot my CF card in Colorado...I am in Texas.
I have my personal CF card but my Military CF card is back in Colorado.

EASY fix but it's a pain in the ass to keep my real gear and my military gear seperate.

I really just wanted to BUMP this for new flyers.
My photos

My Videos

I tried to read it all but didnt see anyone say they got wrapped up in the skydive and failed to hear their 3k audible go off.

Waiting for a dock then noticing mother earth, canopy @ 1700 feet. 2nd jump, didnt do that again, now have over 100/150 video jumps.

Love the list, man i can relate completely. I still havent purchased a digital camera yet. And my camcorder of choice was the Canon ZR40 i bought 7 years ago and barely used it until i decided to shoot video 1 yr ago.

Hanging on the door of a C182 in full arm extension and the pilot says "no,no,no" other vidiot grabs chest strap and pulls in, passes to TM and grabs harness leg strap finishing off. Pilot makes quick turn and says 1/2 mile. Needless to say i chose to dive out this time.

Doing the prejump interview with the lens cap on... :$... at least I noticed before walking out to the plane and I could redo the interview... :$ it is unfortunately an awkward conversation... :|:D

Hanging on the door of a C182 in full arm extension and the pilot says "no,no,no" other vidiot grabs chest strap and pulls in, passes to TM and grabs harness leg strap finishing off

Don't do that again. There was a recent fatality where a student grabbed a floating reserve handle on the rig of an instructor who was outside of the plane. The reserve was deployed, and the instructor hit the tail.

It's true it was a different circumstance, but the concept of not letting people grab your gear outsdie of the plane still stands.

As a camera flyer for students/tandems, don't climb to a position from which you cannot safely return to the cabin on your own. There is always a chance that the student/tandem will decline to jump when they get in the door, and you need to be ready for that instance.

Having others grabbing for your harness in an unplanned, unrehearsed attempt to get you back into the plane is not a good situation.

Agreed, great thread. I have had all of these things happen. I also think that being a camera flyer before getting my tandem rating has made me a better TI. I think about the video and realize that the TI is a big part of the show that is being filmed. From little things like looking into the camera, facing the sun, SMILING, lifting the students head and pointing to the camera flyer so the student gets some good stills... all those things I pay attention to because several TI's didnt when I was doing video.

I still like jumping video's more than taking the students, but dubbing sucks.

Hysterical! After 8 years in the sport & 550 jumps, I just bought my first video camera and helmet (which just arrived after waiting ~8 weeks vs 4 week promise). Thanks to you, I have a "small" idea of what I'm in for!

Gary Russell
Skydive Spaceland
Houston, TX

How about;
Going without gloves cos you are only going up to 9k and its sunny and you're warm from running round getting ready for back to back to back to backs.
Then forgetting them on your next jump which is supposed to go to 12k and figuring you can deal with it for one jump when you prob still have time to go back for them. (Doh!)
But a long hold means you are now at 15k, the sun is nowhere to be seen and your tandem master is taking forever in the door while your fingers are seriously hurting holding onto a bar that must be at least -20C. And smiling at the passenger is the hardest thing you've ever done!
On the plus-side, i didn't have a mal (dealing with that would've been interesting with unresponsive fingers)
That was yesterday. My fingers are red and burning still today.B|
I'm wearing my gloves to bed from now on!;)