kosanke

PC350 recording

I have a new pc350 and on a few occassions when i have rewound to the start of the tape, it fails to record or shows horizontal lines and remarks to a head cleaning. have you seen this before or do i have to send back to sony. this has happened on 3 of the last 10 jumps total on the camera. Thanks, Tom

Listen to your camcorder. The heads are dirty as indicated. I took a Q-tip swab and a dab of rubbing alcohol and wiped it clean. The lines disappeared, and I was able to re-play my footage and record.

I spoke to a sales rep at Inkleys, in Salt Lake. He didn't recommend this method of cleaning the heads, but rather purchasing the head cleaner that operates the same as a cassette tape. Its a dry method of cleaning the heads.

If you use alcohol, wait a few seconds before playing the tape, otherwise the camcorder displays a tape error, or something of that nature.

When my camera was acting up, I immediately thought of returning it, or taking it in for repairs. After cleaning the heads, it works great!

How often do you re-use tapes? Some tapes can be re-used many times, some crap out after reusing just once or twice. Safest bet is to not reuse tapes, use only sony high quality tapes, try the head-cleaner tape, and if all that doesn't work, you might have to send it off to Sony.
Same problem recently discussed in this thread. I immidiately thought the heads were out of alignment, forgetting how some people abuse tapes...

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

i bought new from adorama photo in nyc. i purchased other items over the years and have no problem. they have been around for a long time. new in box with full warranty. not grey market. sony tapes. i'll try to duplicate the problem this weekend and trouble shoot. thanks for the help. Tom