Fast1

Bonehead Optik Illusion

Hi all and happy new year! I've recently bought an optik illusion as my first video helmet to be used with a Sony Pc-106E. It should be arrive me in 1-2 weeks.

Someone of you guys use this helmet? What do you think about it?

Thanks all.

See Ya

Fast
Andrea "Fast" Scaramuzza
http://www.fastsky.org

I have not jumped a FTP so I can not speak from experience. Both my other helmets were DaBombs. But i do not feel it is cumbersome in anyway and I have top mounted my video and still camera side by side.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

I use it w/ a left side HC camera. It doesn't feel any more bulky than my old mindwarp w/ a PC-1. The jaw hinge is really secure. I also mount a 10D on top and will occasionally put a flash on it as well. I think it's one of the best all-around camera helmets. my .02

dave

Hi
I've got the Optik Illusion a few weeks ago.
It's an extremely comfortable helmet, and it got loads of mounting space. Especially the topplate is nice. Even though it's a bit bulky it's noting to worry about when jumping.
The Illusion has got a lot of other nice features like; cutaway system (standard), a nice chincup, and the fitting foam which make it fit like a glove.
Henrik from Denmark

Even though it's a bit bulky it's noting to worry about when jumping.

That's amazing that you can say that without havig a clue what the youngpathy19 wants to mount to the helmet.

ANY TIME yo add something new to your routine,it's something to worry about. There's a cutaway system on it for a reason.

since you(youngpathy) haven't jumped a helmet yet you will find it a bit awkward at first. you have to remember not to bash the camera into things when you walk. you HAVE TO have a smooth opening canopy or you will have a short video career.

you also have to think about snag points and malfuntion hazards. You ALSO, have to prepare to use that cutaway handle. THAT means you have to reorganize your emergency procedures.

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between being a camera flyer/videot and being a guy with a camera on your head.

Its up to you how serious you want to take it, but I guarantee in a malfuntion your gear will not take you seriously at all.

Good luck on choosing a helmet and setting it up.
I think you'll love having the ability to record your jumps but First make sure you know all the hazards.

I have 1000+ jumps and I go through my EP's at least once(more like4 or 5 times) on every jump.

now, to answer your(young pathy) question...:D

I don't think it would be too bulky to jump without a camera on but you may find that the vid/still gear you buy would be better suited for a different helmet.

Some people like Rawa, some like 2K composites...I am partial to Bonehead.
I use a regular optik and I am working to upgrade to a FTP.

do you know if you are looking to add just a video or are you going to add a still cam, too? The configuration (double top mount or top/side mount)
is something to consider. when you get to that point do a seach of the forums gather some info than ask your questions. there are a few very talented cameraflyers here that will be happy to help you out if you need it. But it most definitely is something to worry about. (more like prepare for)
My photos

My Videos

I did'nt expect him to mount anything to helmet when he gets it. After all he says himself that he wants to jump it without anything mounted for a start. I had a few jumps with my own without any camera mounted, and for that it might be a bit bulky compared to a standard skydiving helmet. Of course there is much more to do, when you get a new setup, and i totally agree with what you(jtval) says at that point.

Yes he did say that. BUt I had to type all that extra stuff up.

NO offense, but you have no info added in your profile, so I had to give the "safety lecture" to someone who is looking to become a camera flyer
My photos

My Videos

yea i was looking at other cameras and the reasons i like the optik illusion are pretty simple. I like having a cutaway that way if shit goes wrong i won't have to worry and i like the fact that its a solid chin cup to me its just one less thing to make sure of before getting on the plane. A little more info on me is i should be looking at 200 jumps at the end of september so boxes and everything else is nice to know about too.

Hi again
It's quite funny, I am jumping the optik illusion with a Sony hc-96 on the top, which is obviously the same setup you have thought about getting. You have to keep in mind that the hc-96 it's a quite wide camera (72mm). At first I did sidemount mine, but only for a few jumps, then I put it on the top in a box from Bonehead, (think it is the "i" model). A good advise however is to talk to the local a local cameradude with experience, before starting to drill holes in the helmet. Another good advise would be to perhaps borrow a helmet and try to jump with cameragear for a few jumps, just to see if it's really something you want to something about. After all cameragear isn't for free.
Henrik

Youngpathy,
Henrik has good advice. When I got my set up, I wore it around ,fully loaded, when I was doing stuff at home.

Sure, you look like a moron but it gives you an idea of how much weight your dealing with and if you can get used to ducking and moving your head around stuff at home it's easier at the dz.

the more familiar you are with the extra height and weight the less chance you have smashing it on exit/climb out
My photos

My Videos

For sidemounting the pc 1000 is a much better choice, unfortunately they are not in production anymore. But try to talk to somebody at your dropzone and try some different setups if that is possible. If you find out that you want to topmount your camera, then the hc-96 i a good alternative to the pc 1000, the major difference between the two is that the pc 1000 has CMOS censors and the hc-96 has a HAD CCD censor. An advantage for the hc-96 however is the possibility to easily change to a larger battery pack, and because the hc-96 is still in production, it is easier to get spare parts for that model.
Good hunting :)

You maybe able to get hold of one from Sonystyle. I managed to get one this way and have sidemounted it on my OPtik Illusion. I couldnt be happier with the setup, it feels solid and balanced. I've stuck it in a cookie composite box rarther than the Bonehead box, which didnt look as ergonomic as the Cookie, but heh thats a matter of taste:)
Have fun and be safe whateever you choose.

I am also a first time camera flyer, I fitted a bonehead cutaway to my cookie helmet and it did not work under a heavy load. A friend of pull really hard on the chincup and when we cut it away the pin jammed, Please make shore yours dosen't jam up when you pull the chincup realy hard. As there will be a lot more wait when some one is hanging from it. Sorry for the doom and gloom.