alain

video camera: how many skydives before failure ?

wondering if sony's legendary quality is still in the newer models...
(mod's: sorry if something like that as been started before but i did not find it)

can you please post:
-brand and type you're (or have been) jumping
- how many jumps before something wrong happened (or how many over all if nothing's wrong)
- description of failure
- classification of failure:
- minor (can be fixed at low cost or does not affect overall function)
- major (can be fixed but cost more than 50% of an equivalent new cam)
- total (one destiny: garbage)
- user related (you droped it from 12'000, whatever...)

me:
sony PC101
300 skydives before LANC craps out. Fixed under the 2 years warranty (no idea of what the cost would have been if I had to pay to fix it, but I guess not so much. I put that in the minor failures category)

the basic idea is to feed a spread sheet like:

brand / type / total jumps / good / minor failure / major failure / total failure / user related failure

and show strenght/weakness of each type.

thanks for input :)

sony PC101
300 skydives before LANC craps out

Do you use a Cameye or other LANC based indicator? Do you have to remove it to remove your camera or tape? Ths could help to explain the failure. Also, if you jump a D box, where the camera just 'floats' in the box, with the Cameye plug protrudung from a hole in the box, this could introduce side loading on the Cameye/LANC and contribute to the failure.

I've got a PC 1 with thousands of jumps on it. Everything worked fine unitl my firewire port gave up this year. Up to that point, I used it for three years with only moderate use of the port (I used the AV port to offload video). Then I started to use it almost everyday (the editing went to digital) and 2 1/2 years later, no more fire wire.

I really think that the amount of plugging and unplugging we do it excessive in comparison to the average consumer.

I seem to remember a camera guy who built RCA plugs into the side of his helmet. This way his Hi 8 was always plugged in, and the leads went down to the back of the helmet where he had a set of female plugs. He would use these for his daily work, and when they went out, he could just chnage the plug end. I think he was trying to avoid the problem I was talking about.

I really think that the amount of plugging and unplugging we do it excessive in comparison to the average consumer.
I seem to remember a camera guy who built RCA plugs into the side of his helmet

true, that's probably what caused my lanC failure (with cameyeII)
good point on the RCA plugs outside of the helmet (mine is a FFX), I'm going to set up something like that and therefore unplug everything at most once a day instead of once a jump.

I seem to remember a camera guy who built RCA plugs into the side of his helmet

true, that's probably what caused my lanC failure (with cameyeII)
good point on the RCA plugs outside of the helmet (mine is a FFX), I'm going to set up something like that and therefore unplug everything at most once a day instead of once a jump.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On a similar note, Yves insisted that I use his remote when reviewing footage. His attitude was that the touch screen would break sooner or later, he just preferred to wear out his remote before he wore out his touch screen.

On a similar note, Yves insisted that I use his remote when reviewing footage. His attitude was that the touch screen would break sooner or later,

If you're plugged into a monitor, and the cam is on battery power, using the remote lets you close the screen and save some juice too.

. Fixed under the 2 years warranty (no idea of what the cost would have been if I had to pay to fix it, but I guess not so much. I put that in the minor failures category)

What did they charge you for labor? I have a HC-40 (still in warranty) and it runs the batteries down really quickly. THe on/off switch seems to have a short. I contacted Sony and they said it would be $210 to fix it.

D

50 jumps/ canon vhs-c / upgraded

100 jumps/ sony trv 910 hi-8 / upgraded

700 jumps/ sony trv 7 mini dv / tape eject door broke due to excessive mistreatment..........fixed $269.00 US. from sony factory. still works fine as a backup or playdeck

800 jumps/ sony trv 11 mini dv / started pixelating and skipping and plain malfunctioning.......shut down on......... of course, a great, one of a kind skydive. still have it, never fixed it, I bought a new camera that day.

400+ jumps/ sony trv 27 mini dv / nice camera until sony makes a smaller 3 chip. I am tempted to get a vx 2000 but size and price are preventing me.

I have always used my camera to edit with, so it has 10 times the useage as might be deemed "normal useage" all my sony's have stood up to endless slo-mo, rewind and fast forward. I have never had a problem with lanc, vid out, or firewire. never had a touch screen and never will. fat fingers can be a serious drawback.
hope this helps with you database
oke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

What did they charge you for labor? I have a HC-40 (still in warranty) and it runs the batteries down really quickly. THe on/off switch seems to have a short. I contacted Sony and they said it would be $210 to fix it.
D

I've not been charged providing the camera was still within the 2 year warranty, I have no idea of labor cost.
do you mean Sony want's to charge you for fixing a product that is still in warranty, or am I getting it wrong ?

Yeah, they're wanting to charge me and it's in the 2 year waranty. Oh well. Maybe I just talked to the wrong a$$ hole.
I'll call them again.

Thanks,
D

Sony DCR-TRV110E - about 500 jumps. Died when i was outside the airplane and waiting for the team and we got in a very wet cloud. Power PCB is down and you get no spare parts from Sony to repair it at home. Major or user related.

Sony DCR-VX1000E - about 300 jumps. Died after impact from 800m. Instabile reserve activation gave entanglement between helmet/camera and freebag bridle. Camera lost fight and was ripped of the helmet. Total and user related.

Stefan