Douva

Need suggestions for eliminating snag points...

I've been trying to set up an old ParaMount System 3 (Protec) camera helmet as something I can use from time to time, but I need some suggestions on ways to eliminate the snag points. I read one thread that mentioned using expanding foam, and I was curious if anyone has tried this and if the foam can actually withstand the rigors of free fall. I haven't flown camera in a couple of years, and I'm not looking at doing a whole lot in the future, so I don't want to lay down $500 for a really high quality helmet. I've had this System 3 sitting around without a camera on it for a couple of years. I just need something I can pull out of the gear bag every now and then when the need or desire to shoot a little video arises. I picked up a Sony TRV11 really cheap off eBay, and I made a lexan d-box for it that seems to hold it in place pretty well. I've included pictures of the helmet, and I'd appreciate any feed back from experienced camera flyers.

Blue skies,

Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Dear God, that thing looks scary... I would not jump it in its current form... to start with, loose the box... IIRC the TRV-11 is a top loading camera, so you should not need to take it on and off for tape changing, just secure it with a thumb screw and a strap.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Cover all the bolts and if possible put the bolt heads on the outside so nothing can snag on them. Tuck the red cable so its not sticking out at all, and use lots and lots and lots of gaffers tape on the whole thing.

Personally I'd consider ditching the whole box and putting the camera on an L bracket or just on a Stroboframe and straps. A "soft box" of Neoprene on 2 fastex straps and a really good thumbscrew/stroboframe will save a lot of weight and reduces the snag factors by a lot.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

From what I'm seeing there are two things you can do to make this helmet safe;

1) Take a roll of this and use ALL of it winding around the helmet so there are no snags left. If you run out, you can always get another roll.

2) Jump it once, but before you deploy your canopy, remove it and throw it as far away from you as possible.

;);););););););););););););););););););)

Holy crap that's old school!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'm thinking I might be able to use silicone gel to cover the bolts and fill in the gaps behind the still mount and under the d-box. Then I could wrap the base in gaff tape.

The TRV11 is bottom loading, so I have to be able to remove the camera with relative ease.

I could remove the box and just stick the camera on a QR, but then I'd have to remove the base plate every time I wanted to change the tape. Plus, the lens would still create a pretty good snag point, and the camera would be completely exposed to the elements.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

All kidding aside, make a jump with it...in your hands. make sure you are very far away from anything (buildings, people ect...) and drop that thing.

I've seen people die with fewer snag points on their helmet. I'm NOT kidding. If you're gonna jump video...do it right!

Don't Die for Pictures.
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

Holy crap batman!
What jd and everyone else said, lose the box!
I have jumped topmounts of over 10 years now and never have used a box of any kind or condom its not a big deal, as others have said go with the strap and tripod screw a little ducktape on the underside to keep it from moving side to side helps too, or better a stroboframe, but tape is cheaper.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Take Iwan up on his generous offer.

just hope you have a LARGE melon to fit that thing

Nah, the "hangar" just looks big. Iwan got a great deal on it, and if he passes on the good luck forward, that helmet is a great deal. Get a new set of shims from bonehead and we have a safer jumper with safer camera equipment.

I could remove the box and just stick the camera on a QR, but then I'd have to remove the base plate every time I wanted to change the tape.

It all depends on how often you change tapes.

Even if I give in a tape to download, the process of getting the plate on and off (I use a velbon qr 667) takes seconds.

I dont use a box, and only a condom when its really cold (phnarr that sounds rude!!) and have had NO problems.

Please heed the advice here and think about what use the box really is. Apart from a nice place to be hanging from your chopped main!!!!:S:oB|

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

Nah, the "hangar" just looks big. Iwan got a great deal on it, and if he passes on the good luck forward, that helmet is a great deal. Get a new set of shims from bonehead and we have a safer jumper with safer camera equipment.

I agree.. I hardly use the padding :P but I have lots of it so you can make it fit you.
In its current form, yes he would need a LARGE melon to make it fit, but adding some linerpadding it will be just fine.

Iwan

whoa.

since you are obviously too cheap to buy a good camera helmet... I think you'd be better off gaffertaping the camera to your helmet without any box or screws or straps. I've actually seen it done succesfully. Really, it was a normal open-face helmet, and the only thing holding the camera one was a whole lot of gaffers tape.

better yet, buy something from bonehead.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

whoa.

since you are obviously too cheap to buy a good camera helmet... I think you'd be better off gaffertaping the camera to your helmet without any box or screws or straps. I've actually seen it done succesfully. Really, it was a normal open-face helmet, and the only thing holding the camera one was a whole lot of gaffers tape.

better yet, buy something from bonehead.

peace
lew

Oh, come on, Lew; the packing tape "fix" was supposed to be funny. I'm going to buy Iwan's old helmet, if he really thinks he can part with it. But if nobody in this sport ever tried to make their own equipment, we'd all still be jumping military issue rounds.

Blue skies,

Douva

Douva,

I totally have the solution to your helmet woes. With only minor modifications you can completely eliminate any chance of snags with your current set-up. Please see the attached photo.

Blue Skies

Oh by the way I will disavow any knowledge of this post if you should attempt the use of my set up :P