skydiverek

1.61 wing loading on 150 sq ft, at 230 total jumps?

it's been posted before, and i think i reposted it since. but it's still true.

Landing straight in is easy. Basic maneuvers aren't too exciting until things start getting wrong but that's exactly what you're sizing your canopy for - a down-wind landing on pavement following a low turn to avoid power lines you didn't see until it was almost too late due to low light on the sunset load where you are landing out due to a bad spot because some cute girls flashed the pilot, everyone got extra altitude, and your hypoxic friend got his foot stuck on the seatbelt so your climbout took too long.

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I'm gonna get roasted for this, but I was on a Katana 97 with less than 300 jumps, and I am loading it at 1.5 roughly. Granted it was the high 200's versus the low 200's, not that it really matters from a safety standpoint. Looking back, I can't say I'm proud of this, but that's how my progression played out. I'm a big boy, and don't regret the decisions I made.

If you're loading a 97 at 1.5, that's not exactly a big boi. ;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Please vote and comment on the jumper who:
- has 230 total jumps in 3 years
- made last 150 jumps in last 12 months, on a 190 square ft 9-cell canopy
- has an exit weight of 242 lbs (110 kg)
- attended a basic canopy course
- wants to buy Sabre2 150 or Safire2 149 (wing loading of 1.61)

Please vote and comment on this idea.

Of course it's a good idea.. provided he puts in 5 or 6 jumps on a 170 first. Safety, after all.
Let him know it'll make it easier for him to work those front risers.
Will you please video his awesome landings?
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Ha ha...I meant big boy as in "can make my own decisions". In actuality I'm a skrawny bastard with a few loose screws. If it gives you an idea, I bought my first motorcycle 4 years ago (I'm 28 now) and instead of buying something easy to learn on and docile, I bought a brand new 2007 CBR600RR. Definately not a beginner's bike, and I'm sure the guys were laughing at me when I picked it up and had never used a clutch before. Stalled it a few times, then rode it home. 3 years later, I sold it when I realized I was going to kill myself on it trying to do wheelies in amongst traffic and losing my license was inevitable when it was so easy to break 200kph on city roads (and no, I am not exaggerating). I was simply lucky not to get caught. I sold it to a 19 yr old kid who dumped it the second day he had it and totalled it (he was ok). I was very sad...that bike was my baby.

Anyways, yes, I'm scrawny...all 120 lbs of me. But you should see me fly my wingsuit....heheh
"When once you have tasted flight..."

You have to do with what you feel and ask someone that knows what they are doing if you can make the jump. I was jumping my sabre 150 WL @ 1.3 at jump 26. I was doing front riser, rear riser, flat turns, crosswind all to a spot...I believe being a pilot gave me positive correlation to canopy flight.

If I was a DZO? Not at my DZ you wouldn't.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

it's been posted before, and i think i reposted it since. but it's still true.

Landing straight in is easy. Basic maneuvers aren't too exciting until things start getting wrong but that's exactly what you're sizing your canopy for - a down-wind landing on pavement following a low turn to avoid power lines you didn't see until it was almost too late due to low light on the sunset load where you are landing out due to a bad spot because some cute girls flashed the pilot, everyone got extra altitude, and your hypoxic friend got his foot stuck on the seatbelt so your climbout took too long.

:D:D
Damn! Going for broke, eh? (no puns intended.....well, maybe)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239