Pilotmonkey

Use a Sony Camcorder as a driver? HELP?

Hey i purchased a mini dv camcorder used....I understand that it can be used as a driver on my 'puter. Is this possible with the software i didnt get with my camera? Can a digital camcorder be used like a webcam? Can i save images off the internet or hard drive ONTO the digital media in my camera?
I hope someone knows something about this....Thanks

Thinkin about chainsaws.......

Ok, I think I understand your problem . . .

You can't just duct tape your camera to a putter and assume that it will work as a driver. You need to probably send the camera to a pro shop and have them attach a propper golf club handle to it. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ok, seriously . . .

Yes it IS possible to use a DV camera as a tape backup for your computer!

You'll need special software to do it and it's ONLY good as a backup.

Here is one such example . . .

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/dvbackup.html

I've NEVER done this, so you're on your own, but I understand it -does- work.

Can your DV camera be used as a web camera? Again, it depends on the software you have available on your machine. On a Mac, any DV camera hooked into the FireWire ports will probably work.

Saving images from the internet to your DV cam is just a silly idea. CD-Roms are probably the way to go.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Okk no duct tape...hmmmm. I guess you did answer the question i asked. I was, however, hoping for something a bit more pertinant. I believe with your suggestion the resulting footage would lack clarity.....and i think attaching the golf club handle/camera ensamble to my helmet would get me restricted loading the plane. Get some good double takes.....

I wasent really hoping to use it as a backup. More specifically i would like to take stills from video to the memory card and then from that to the computer. Skipping the remove the memory card and place it in the little card reader. Plug the camera in and upload from it.

Well, i dont know what camera you bought, but if it is a Sony this is exacty what you use the USB cable for.. Just attach using the usb cable, and set the camera in the correct mode (dont remember which, but the display will read USB-MODE when connected correctly)

The camcorder will then show on "My computer" as a removable disk drive

Hope this helps

Helge

Well, i dont know what camera you bought, but if it is a Sony this is exacty what you use the USB cable for.. Just attach using the usb cable, and set the camera in the correct mode (dont remember which, but the display will read USB-MODE when connected correctly)

The camcorder will then show on "My computer" as a removable disk drive

Hope this helps

Helge

yeah, what Helge said.

I have a Sony PC105 and for what you want to do it works like this:

-insert memory stick in camcorder
-switch camcorder on and to VCR mode
-cue the tape to the frame you want to capture as a still
-pause the tape there
-press the photo button and keep in untill a little icon appears on screen to indicate capture to the memory stick
-you can capture video the same way by pressing the record button iinstead of the photo button

now, you need the camcorder-to-USB cable that came with your camcorder, although they seem to be a standard that comes with most digital still camers too

switch your camcorder to memory mode

connect your camcorder to your PC with this and install/download USB driver if needed (I found one that worked on the net)

now you can access your memory stick as if it is an external USB drive - you can read and write to/from it

have fun....

soon to be gone

More specifically i would like to take stills from video to the memory card and then from that to the computer. Skipping the remove the memory card and place it in the little card reader. Plug the camera in and upload from it.

Probably the quickest and easiest way to do this would be to plug your camera into your pooter via the firewire and simply use a program like Adobi Premier to take frame grabs straight off the camera video footage.

This is much quicker than fiddling round with camera menus and then transferring stuff manually. Everything's done on screen and the image you capture is instantly saved to your computer hard drive rather onto the card first.

This is much quicker than fiddling round with camera menus and then transferring stuff manually. Everything's done on screen and the image you capture is instantly saved to your computer hard drive rather onto the card first.

Before I had a digital camera that is exactly how I imported images to my computer. Then I did THIS to clean them up for viewing.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Yes, you can use your camera as a webcam. I have done so myself with the 101 and see no reason why it should not work with your 110.

Its been over a year since i tried, but try following theese steps:

1. Enable USB-streaming in your menu
2. connect the cam with the same cable your're using to access the memory stick
3. Flip the mode selector to "recording mode"
4. Restart the program you intend to use with the webcam

It should now appear in the list over available cameras.

I sometimes had to turn the camera off and on a few times before it was recognized by the PC, but it was worth the hassle, picture quality is great and far superior to any standard webcam i've seen

Hope this helps,

Helge

Sorry, I was unclear on this one.. I ment the menu on your camera, NOT in windows..

I dont remember where, and i do not have a camera here to check.. If you cant find it, look in your manual. If you dont have a printed copy, they are avaiable online from sony.