Shivon

Favourite Transitions in Premiere Pro 7

I have just finished a major vid project (about 20 mins) which I cut from about 8 hours of footage. Burned my first DVD and realised that I have only used a few basic transitions / effects thoughout. The ones I used most were:

* standard 'cross-disolve' for fading to/from black,

* Footage sped up (funny parts of the vid), or slowed down (for great tandem exits or tumbling AFFies on exits etc), and

* 'find edges' using black and white on the occasional formation

I'd be keen to know - does anyone have any favourite effects that they use for skydiving vids. And a similar question, does anyone know of an effect or combo of effects in Premiere Pro that will make footage look like it's 'old'? (the dropped frames, the tan colour that gets applied to footage etc).

Thanks guys and gals.

Shivon

I have just finished a major vid project (about 20 mins) which I cut from about 8 hours of footage. Burned my first DVD and realised that I have only used a few basic transitions / effects thoughout. The ones I used most were:

* standard 'cross-disolve' for fading to/from black,

* Footage sped up (funny parts of the vid), or slowed down (for great tandem exits or tumbling AFFies on exits etc), and

* 'find edges' using black and white on the occasional formation

I'd be keen to know - does anyone have any favourite effects that they use for skydiving vids. And a similar question, does anyone know of an effect or combo of effects in Premiere Pro that will make footage look like it's 'old'? (the dropped frames, the tan colour that gets applied to footage etc).

Thanks guys and gals.

Shivon

I like Cross Dissolve.

The more you use and the wierder they are, the more you look like a teenager with a new toy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The more you use and the wierder they are, the more you look like a teenager with a new toy.

I'll second that.

90% of everything for storytelling purposes ought to be a simple cut.

When you need to show the passage of time or location 90% of the time a simple dissolve will work well, but remember to have an establishing shot that actually indicates the time or where you are located now. A dissolve from the briefing area to the inside of the plane makes little sense. How did the people get there -- transporter? A dissolve from the briefing area to a shot of walking to the plane, the plane and the interview inside the plane tells a much better story.

Funky things like page turns or iris wipes ought to be reserved for special -purposes-. The transition should be driven by idea you're trying to get across to the viewer.

Certainly no whuffo tandem passenger is ever going to be impressed with anything other than seeing themselves, so heavy effects on a "school" video are not just a waste, but probably unwelcome by the client.

If, on the other hand, you're not insterested in telling a story and only are interested in doing somethig with the video in order to keep your ADD friends awake while they watch your skydiving videos . . . go ahead and add in something to make them stay awake but try to keep in mind that watching a person hurling themselves at a planet is usually a pretty good effect all unto itself and probably doesn't need a to be covered up or transformed as to be unrecognizable.

Most companies would call that "sepia tone".

Try Magic Bullet.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/gimme/storereframe.php?view=item&item=magic_bullet_editors_premiere
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

One of the best 'old film' effects I have seen is available FREE on Microsofts Movie Maker2.......download it....import the segment you want the effect on to MM2....add the effect....save the movie as a DV .AVI file and then import the sequence back into your Premiere project......so what if the exporting/adding effect/reimporting adds a bit of noise....thats just helps the effect:)
My favourite effect in Premiere is a Plug In called 'Shine'....you get that cascading light through a 'slit' effect in any angle and theres lots of things to adjust to get the effect just right.
Combine that with a Freeze frame on an exit or opening shot ( with a dynamic blurred background) to give you one sweet shot.
eg....jumper exits the plane....just on exit..the frame freezes.....the diver stays in focus...the background softly blurs through 180degrees.....and an outline of a shine ( point of light behind subject) extends out from behind the subject and then back again as the background comes back into focus and the movie continues from the freezed frame

I have an example of this that will be loaded soon onto skydivingmovies.com.....the project isnt finished yet though.