DanglesOZQld

Openings - Head down or back??

Just wondering if there are any "real" camera dudes out there who have older/heavier helmets or equipment and how they hold their head on opening.

People say I do it differently as I find it much more comfortable to sink my head down and LOOK at the canopy on opening rather than head forward waiting for the opening and looking up after inflation.

What do you guys/girls do?? ;)

BSBD!
-Dangles.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

I drop my knees and look down right before pulling. I'm afraid that if you look up and watch the canopy open, linetwists can hold your head back behind the risers, and if you have to chop, the risers will go flying past your helmet. If you look down and your head is pinned forewards by linetwists, you're in a better position to kick out of them, you can see your handles, and if you cutaway the risers will just fly off behind your head.

What are other people's opinions?
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

I drop my knees and look down right before pulling. I'm afraid that if you look up and watch the canopy open, linetwists can hold your head back behind the risers, and if you have to chop, the risers will go flying past your helmet. If you look down and your head is pinned forewards by linetwists, you're in a better position to kick out of them, you can see your handles, and if you cutaway the risers will just fly off behind your head.

What are other people's opinions?

That's asuming you will stay belly to earth with linetwists, which is not always the case. A true spinning mal can have you rapidly flipping over or rolling with the spins.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I do the same, I sink my neck down, or bring my shoulders up, like a shrug, and look at my opening. So far so good, I have had some bad openings that only caused me to take more stills ;) (bite switch), but thats all.

It works for me!!

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I do the same, I sink my neck down, or bring my shoulders up, like a shrug, and look at my opening. So far so good, I have had some bad openings that only caused me to take more stills ;) (bite switch), but thats all.

It works for me!!

Arvel

yeah .....ive seen alot of your openings.....[:/]
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

You're jumping a Sabre and by "shit camera setup" do you mean top mounted TRV? I'd say you're looking at a serious neck injury if any of that is the case. A jumper at my DZ had that very thing happen. The neck doesn't take shock very well when the force is perpendicular to it and even worse when it's twisted sideways.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Side mounted. Been jumping the camera and the canopy for almost 8 years now without issue. Granted my Sabre gives me an occasional whopper, but I've never had more than a day of a sore neck from jumping. My sabre opens better than most other Sabres I've flown btw...

By shit camera setup I mean I have an L bracket on the left side of my helmet. Snag points galore. Again knock on wood, but I have yet to snag in 600+ jumps on the system...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I have a fairly larg setup... 2 stills and video, about 10lbs.... I used to watch my openings until I had one get a little funky on me and wiped my head around... I had to take a break for a few weeks... Now I keep my head centered looking forward, and just ride out the openings.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

i also fly a sabre, 170.
my setup is a video top mounted n a still front mounted.
i watch the D-bag go up and then i look at the horizon and try to control the opening with my hips.

I have a fairly larg setup... 2 stills and video, about 10lbs.... I used to watch my openings until I had one get a little funky on me and wiped my head around... I had to take a break for a few weeks... Now I keep my head centered looking forward, and just ride out the openings.

J

Same here, I look at the horizon, pitch and just keep looking straight.
Looking up has hurt my neck a couple of times, so I stopped doing it, I thought I "had" to look up to see what my canopy is doing on opening.

I'm jumping a slightly larger setup quite often and I don't want to walk around with a sore neck all the time.

Iwan

i like to roll on my side as the parachute is opening so i can get a photo of the line stretch with canopy and jumper/s then transition to my back to watch the opening and back track at the same time i then look forwards to get some real speed (separation) happening. roll over on my belly flare open (3000')and look at the horizon as the slider comes down(i have had an over extended neck from watching a hard opening on a 'spinletto') i have a top mount and a heatwave 120 that 'can' have funky openings.

i have seen far too may people stay on thier belly look up until the tandem goes out of frame and then dump straight away. our tandems don't use rsl's so what would happen in a cutaway situation?

get (horizontal) separation! :P
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix