Stealth

Two seconds of fear

Almost newbie question

Last season I have jumped Spectre-150 which opens great with lot of snivel, but always immediately after throwing PC (large one) I feel punch which hang me head-up, then canopy snivel.

Now I have new Hornet-135 in used (but still great) container. Hornet opens way harder without any snivel, but I can live with this.
The thing I really worry about is 2 seconds :o delay after throwing PC out.
There is nothing happens in these 2 seconds.
Then canopy opens.

Why so long before opening ?
Maybe hard tube stoes ?
Maybe stows too big ? (~2 inches)
Maybe main locking loop is too short (tight) ?
PC size looks OK.

Thanx for any help.

:)What kind of rig are you jumping?
How many jumps were on the system when you got it?
How many jumps have you put on it since?
What kind of material is the pilot chute made of?
Is the Pilot chute built correctly?
How long is the bridle?
Do you have a kill-line system?
Is the kill-line the correct length?
How tight does the Hornet in the D-bag fit in your main pack-tray?
Are you throwing the pilot chute vigorously into the airstream?
Is the closing pin on your bridle smooth and without burrs?
Your pilot chute won't last forever. I think that it may be made of low porosity ripstop. The fabric becomes increasingly permeable with use. The kill-line can shrink and you may not be able to fully cock the pilot chute. If the support tape on the mesh is not sewn on the bias(at 45 degr. to the weave) you have an incorrectly built P/C. Either one or combination of the above problems would make for an inefficient P/C and a rough pin, too tight closing loop or jammed D-bag will aggravate the problem. You may have become lazy in the way you throw your P/C out, catching your own burble. Maybe you have changed the way you stow your lines. There can be many reason, so you need to check them all out.;)

I jump a Mirage G3 and from looking at video from two jumps this weekend I have right around 2 sec. from PC release to the transition to stand up at line stretch. From there is is about another 2.5 to 5 seconds until slider down

I jump Spirit container, which looks like Vector 2 or 3 and have the same main flaps.
Container had ~100 jumps, all other is new.
I jump it 4 times.
PC made from ZP, correctly, looks like new.
Yes, it have a kill-line, and as I check, lenght is ok.
Hornet 135 fits D-bag OK.
Hornet fits container very tight, when i packed myself, but our packer can pull out about 1/2 inches of main closing loop. I can't.
Closing pin is smooth and OK

I guess it could be too hard tube stoes...

2 seconds sounds about right to me. In that time, your pilot chute needs to inflate, pull tne pin, lift the bag, unstow the lines, and it is only when the final lines unstow that you will begin to transision to an upright position in the harness.

2 seconds is fine.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

:)from what you are writing it sounds as if your rig is in good shape and the P/C and bridle too.
Have you always used "Tube-Stows", or did you just start using them with the Hornet? There are a number of people that don't like tube-stows. Personally I prefer the good old fashioned rubber bands. You may be experiencing a form of line dump, in other words your stows are coming undone very easily and you are not feeling the process of line stretch as you used to.
Another thing to check out is if you are rotating the D-bag forward. Some containers have their bottom corners boxed in such a way that the D-bag can get stuck, causing some hesitation. The bridle however should not be placed between the D-bag and the reserve container, just in case you are doing that. Also, I have read about people being so flexible, that their arch during deployment pinches the D-bag. Just some things to consider.
Mainly I would try to change one thing at a time, like going back to standard rubber bands, and seeing how they work. Cold temperatures can also affect tube-stows and rubberbands. Something has changed in your deployment, only you can be the judge. Video or direct observation by someone else of your deployment would probably give you the best picture and information. Hope that helps.;)