bergh

Post your Camera Helmet .....

Hi

Post your camera helmet .... No brand loyalty needed just
post your camera helmet.

Cheers

This is cool, but I think it's about time we make a sticky thread for this, so we don't keep posting our helmets all the time.

Anyways.. here are mine, the old "hangar" and the new one.
Both are Boneheads, the hangar is a Bonehead Full Box and the new one is a Flat Top Pro.

Iwan

Man that looks like a lot of weight stuck on your melon!!!;)
As a dumb question - why do you have the 2 vids - i'm guessing 1 is a PC series and the bigger one.... Hi-8? is that for failsafe tandems/4way/movie quality??
Also - what lid is that underneath all the cameras!?

Cheers,

Dave
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I am truely amazed at some of these setups.

It would seem some people are slightly more serious
about camera work than I am.

Btw with a setup like that do you support your head with hands during deployment ?

Cheers

...........:o it's really not that heavy.
And,,, as i assembled it,, i was very careful to keep it balanced,,, that is the key..the large, flat mounting plate on top,, offers a lot of adjustability in terms of where the cameras can be mounted.

yes the current helmet IS a bonehead BatRak..
The securing clips, One on the back,, and a pair on the chincup,, allow for a nice solid and snug fit....
The one camera is a Sony VX-1000 3 chip..
the other is a dcr-trv 20,,, recently replaced with a dcr HC-85...with .45 wide angle.... the reason for two,, IS for back-up,,, and to assure that i never have to tell a tandem student,, " soorrrrry... something glitched"..( yes sometimes THAT happens to one camera or the other...) plus I get two views of the same skydive,, one closer than the other, giving me some editing options...
( yes I do burn through a lot of tapes )
As for openings,,, no problems. I'm a tough old dog
plus I jump a sweet opening PD spectre 210...B|
Sometimes ,, if I am IN a skydive, say in the base 4 or base 6, ( I almost Always wear cameras on fun jumps as well as work jumps) I'll set the smaller camera up,,,, facing backwards..... makes for some neat shots of people exiting behind me, or docking on my legs....:D:)

Damn, mine pales in comparison to some of the others that have been posted.:S But it works for me B|

Edit: I just realized these are old pics, i have since turned my still upside down cause the flash showed in the video with my .43:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

This is cool, but I think it's about time we make a sticky thread for this, so we don't keep posting our helmets all the time.

i second that!!

hehe, i ordered a blaxkbox a week ago, it should arrive now any time, and as it does, and as i put it all together, i'll post my (not so) new baby too :)

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

hehe, i ordered a blaxkbox a week ago, it should arrive now any time, and as it does, and as i put it all together, i'll post my (not so) new baby too :)

I love my Black Box and MVX Cookie Helmet, I'd post a pic but it's getting a cam eye fitted, cause I'm a dumd arse and continually fugg it up :D:D:D
13 jumps and didn't record 7 last weekend:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

This is my camera set-up. As you can see, I am on the cutting edge when it comes to high tech innovation.
On the side for moving pictures is the newest break through from Bell & Howell. The much anticipated 8mm 220. One word people - WOW. The quality of 8mm film is unsurpassed combined with the advanced technological features of the Bell and Howell 220. You will want to pawn your Sony and get in line for this one!
Mounted on top is the latest from Polaroid, the 150 Land Camera. They call it a land camera but let me tell you that this jewel is just as at home in the sky as it is on the ground. I can clearly see that digital is on its way out. This camera has it all and it is a pleasure to jump. It is so aerodynamic you hardly notice it is up there. For this sweet piece of high tech candy you will want to run, not walk, past the digital dinosaur. You will be glad you did.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Well, here’s mine, hot off the workbench! Just finished building it from scratch. The more astute will notice that it’s a copy of Wes Rich’s Cranium Camera Mount (CCM) … Wes put out a pretty comprehensive CD on his construction techniques for making a custom helmet (you can find it at TSO-D) – examples of his work are at www.RimWorldVideo.com.

So, this is pure custom to fit my scone. As you can see it is flat-top, and the lowest profile that you could get and as snag-proof as I could make it (ok, except for that big line catcher at the front … but here’s what I did … I cut the shaft of the post as close to the shoulder as possible, milled each end then tapped threads in both, and joined them back together with the shaft of a nylon bolt. The idea is that this then creates a fracture point under stress … haven’t tested this yet, so use at your own risk etc etc!)

Cutaway is courtesy of a major helmet manufacturer; dirt alert is remoted down to the ear; I used RF Servo connectors for the internal wiring, which go up to a 2.5mm sterio connection on the carbonfibre top plate (made that too!) for the biteswitch. The biteswitch plugs just inside the cheek on the left (servo connection). Cameye is mounted flush with a 2.5mm connection on the top plate for that also. Quick disconnects (ie. Servo connectors) are all under the top plate.

The paint-job is a chameleon colour – ‘jade passion’, which changes from green to purple depending on the angle; I put a 2-pac polyurethane clear coat over the top.

My first attempt at fibreglassing, painting and soldering! Wes’ instructions on making a helmet are absolutely comprehensive; and am pretty happy how it turned out. The missus is not so happy – well perhaps now that it’s finished. It took me about six weeks mainly cause I had to sneak off to the workshop each night after she went to bed (hey, that’s about the delivery time from the US anyway!). Cost of parts/material probably put it cheaper than an off-the-shelf system, and I had most of the other stuff that you would need (dremel, drill press, compressor, etc … well, that’s what I told the missus!) but the time involved was pretty intensive (sanding, sanding, redo, swearing, sanding, swearing …) Of course it was all about the experience!

Am now working on mounts for cameras …

Started jumping in '93 and purchased a Piri Raptor from the states shortly after and have kept it ever since. This was back in the good ol days when there were precious few helmets made for skydiving in Australia.

The rap was full face but got rid of that and have used four different video cameras starting with video 8, Hi 8 and two digitals with different boxes for every one. There are MANY holes in the top aluminium plate but I have never had any problems of any sort with the helmet.

I also don't use a cam eye or ringsight as the setup is straight and true.

It is a large helmet but rather comfortable with quick pin releases either side and the 35mm stills camera is mounted inverted in front.

Started using it for fun etc and have been using it for professional activity for the last 2 1/2 years.

BSBD!! -Dangles.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"