bergh

Post your Camera Helmet .....

Thanks Lori

I have a custom built Michael Bess Camera Helmet

It is 1/2 Bieffe motocross helmet & 1/2 Michael Bess custom design. It is all fiberglass so it is not as lite as the Carbon Fiber & Composite ones, but it is rock solid in the air. It is my second one from Michael.

I'm looking for something like a Flat Top Pro, but not as big a shell. I love the design but I have a rather small noggin, so need a full face that doesn't need to be filled up with so much liner. My BatRak has the XS insert (and it could still use more, really).

So far I've not been successful in finding something like this that isn't 100% custom made.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Thanks Lori,
David is a pleasure to work with (both times) and I am very happy to call him a friend and have him promoting my work. Excellent videographer as well but don't tell him I said that!

I too have the same setup as David for my multiple camera setup, and a smaller custom built side mount for tandems without stills and fun jumps.

Have you thought about having a custom built for you? I thought there was a guy doing some custom work in your neck of the woods?

Michael

Have you thought about having a custom built for you? I thought there was a guy doing some custom work in your neck of the woods?

Custom would be very nice. I've chatted with Chris from Bonehead, but ya know he's pretty frikin' busy with his current work.

Who'd you have in mind for the custom work?

ltdiver

I was thinking of Chris when I mentioned it. There was a guy in Florida (Wes I believe) that was doing all custom stuff. I am still doing a bit here and there but I'm still pretty slammed with current projects. Sounds like exactly what you need when you get into the small and below (Xs, XXS etc.). There are definite advantages both weight and size to being in the small head size category...

just for grins send me an E-mail with what your needs are and I will give it some more serious thought.

Michael

Bonehead Batrak, homemade box for Panasonic 3CCD NV-DX100 digital camcorder and homemade bracket for Canon 300D (Digital Rebel) with blowswitch. Only thing I need for it is money for new sight... There is hole for it already ;)

Alright, I'll play. B|

Here's my GunRak. I actually moved the cameye light off to the side so I can only see it if I'm looking for it (so it won't be distracting as hell), but other than that, here ya go. That with my trusty PC-330 and a camera jacket by GD-2, and I'm all set to go!!! B|

At some point I'll add my Rebel.....but I'm feeling lazy right now. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

OK, the paint is dry. Still have to put fittings on (hinge, cutaway, ratchet), door on the back, lining on the inside and fit the cameye ...

This one was made using the same method described in my custom odyssey above, with a lot of fiddling around to create a side mount for the PC1. The camera drops in from the inside (what a headache that was!) and is lined up neutral with my eyes (don’t even ask how long that took!).

The camera is snug against my head on the inside, so is as low profile as I can get ... and as you can see, no snags .... got creative, and also made a mould of my prodytter for the other side.

Paint is chameleon like the flat top model, but this one has a base colour of purple that changes to blue and green depending on the angle (just like a bruise!) – see difference with photo’s with/without flash.

Am much happier with the finish on this one … all that ‘experience’ from my first attempt! This one only took a month … lots of crappy weather … cost was pretty much neutral as I had all the stuff left over from the first project (well, depends on how you look at that!).

Alright. I just now finished putting this together. I'm almost afraid to jump it though. It feels reeaaallly front heavy. I've never jumped a still camera though so maybe that's just what it feels like.

I know I'm an idiot for putting $1800 worth of shit on a $30 helmet, but I spent all my money on the cameras and the other stuff that you need with them.

What do you think? Would you jump it?

Or should I wait until I can get a real helmet?

If your camera helmet is front heavy move the video camera back further. There will be a point where the camera helmet feels pretty balanced even though it is heavy,
Kirk
Nice camera equipment just not that sure if I would jump that expensive of gear on that helmet myself

If your camera helmet is front heavy move the video camera back further. There will be a point where the camera helmet feels pretty balanced even though it is heavy,
Kirk
Nice camera equipment just not that sure if I would jump that expensive of gear on that helmet myself

There's ony about 2 inches more room behind it. I don't think it would make much difference. The pc105 is really light compared to the digirebel especially with the Sigma 15mm lens on it. I shouldn't have bought that lens. I should have used the money to buy a decent helmet. I probably could have gotten by just fine with the kit lens.

What if I switched them around and put the rebel on top and the 105 out front? Is there any reason I shouldn't do that?

I almost guarantee as soon as you put a wide angle lens on the video camera (which is basically a must) you are going to see the still camera in the video. If anything you actually need to move the video camera forward.

That still is sticking waaaaay out there.

Canuck

Hey i have an old helmet like this if your interested give me $20.00 for the shipping and handling basically ! And you can have it .It was my 1 st helmet . I think it is setup a little bit better than the one you have currently .You can remove the box and just use the flat plate .It has quick relaease on both sides to, ring site mounting post is already there too. See this link in the classifieds ? http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/jump.cgi?ID=19860&view=Image&d=1

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

See if you can put the still camera up top and the video up front. Speaking from a therapist stand point you're going to really hate yourself the first time you get a hard opening unless you fix the set-up.

Also, just in case you haven't thought of it....cut the ring site post down (alot) and then move the screw head portion of the clamp to the inside of the post...away from riser strike (read:line snag) territory. Your set-up looks pretty snag-a-licious.

Good luck with what you have, and beg santa for a better helmet asap. :P

ltdiver