bergh

Post your Camera Helmet .....

Waiting for a 15mm drill to finish mounting the controller

Just use a 1/2 drill bit, and then a rat-tail file, or dremel tool with a pointy grinder to punch it out to 15mm.

In terms of a bracket to support the back of the switch, that's what I did. I don't know if it will work without one, but it works with one. I just didn't want the possibility of pushing the switch into my helmet on jumprun, so I went with a bracket. I used 1/2 wide, 1/16 thick aluminum bar stock.

Just getting into video

Looks like a good beginner set-up to me. You can step up to something more complex as you gain experience.

Very nice, clean looking set-up. A couple of points:

On my Wes Pro I was able to drill a hole from the front for the Hypeye and route the indicator through this hole from behind without having to remove the forehead padding (there are two indicators in this photo, one is behind the articulated bracket). For my blow switch tube, I was able to snake the tube through the chin padding but carefully poking a hole in it, without having to remove the entire chin padding.

I have used a "multibit" drill bit to drill larger holes for buttons. They cut very clean in fiberglass and slowly step up in size. Plus you can get them at any hardware store. I would definitely put a back-strap behind the button to keep it from being pushed through.

Better yet, using the Hypeye D Expansion kit, you can wire in a less bulky, smaller diameter button/switch, that is easier to locate, and is has an easier tactile feel when trying to push the button with gloves on.

Lastly, I worry a little bit about the remote shutter wiring plug going in to your SLR. I can't tell how exposed your is from the photos, butI have sheared those off in the past, and since then always make sure they are well protected against riser strikes.

Just my addition to the camera helmet setups.
Helmet is a custom molded SkyPimp Helmets design with custom paint.
Video is a CX-100 housed in my homemade ABS plastic form fit box. Includes HypEye D Pro flush mounted in left side of helmet.
And last but not least a Canon Rebel Xsi with 15 mm Sigma EX lens.

Enjoy

Just a few pics of my set up.
I used 2 Manfrotto 394 quickreleases (just because I like to work with them :P ) to set up my CX 116 with Raynox 0.3 lens along with my Canon 450D with 15mm fish eye lens. To top it off I use aHype Eye pro to get the video working (which I just installed yesterday & need to set in place today) & a Bite Switch from J-Lo to (ab)use the camera. The Newton ringsight will shortly be replaced with a removable one.

The custom paint job was something I did last year while I was recovering from a torn achilles tendon.

My 2c
Mutley

You don't need a parachute to jump but YOU DO if want to do it again.

I like your setup, but as a long-time manfrotto user, I decided to try something new here`s why:

1. Manfrotto`s are quite heavy. I guess 100-150grams or so - per unit!
2. Manfrotto`s are quite high. I mean they put the suspended wight of the camera about 2cm higher than necassary.

These two issues brought me to my new plan to make a new top plate with integrated x-shut`s.
Very lightwight, ultra-low surface, I hope that contributes positively to my current neck problems!

It is not ready, but I will post pictures when ready :-)

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

Looks great. Since it's still a chin cup helmet after all those mods, does it stay in one place?

THis helmet set-up works great for tandem work but, as I later discovered when shooting 4-16 way RW, I noticed a lot of camera movement when riding the edge of the formation's burble.

I have since put together a BH Mantle with a T2I and CX150. I love the fit and lower weight.

Edited to add: Getting rid of the chin cup also fixed the TMJ type feeling from having to over tighten it.
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

Iwan,

Just got a flat top narrow. CX 150 on top, Rebel xti inverted on front. Hadn't jumped one before and really messed up my neck on the first weekend. B| I was about ready to get rid of it, but do you have any insight/advice on openings with this particular type of helmet and mounting?

Larry

He whose eye happens to look down into the abyss becomes dizzy. Why? It is just as much in his own eye as in the abyss, for suppose he had not looked down. Hence anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.

Iwan,

Just got a flat top narrow. CX 150 on top, Rebel xti inverted on front. Hadn't jumped one before and really messed up my neck on the first weekend. B| I was about ready to get rid of it, but do you have any insight/advice on openings with this particular type of helmet and mounting?

Larry

Uh, first off, I'm hoping your posted jump numbers are waaay off.

Second, the basic stuff: for freefall cameraflying, only jump slow opening canopies that open on heading too (off-heading brisk-ish openings are way worse IMO for your neck than simply harder openings). Also do NOT look up at your openings.

Third, start with just the video camera on top. Get used to flying that, get used to flying camera, get the shots and get used to the weight.

When you have video flying dialed in, only THEN add the stills.
Your neck will by then be used to flying camera more and it won't be such a shock to your neck. It will still be tough on your neck though, not the healthiest thing you could be doing to your body. But getting the right muscles to develop does help a LOT.

Then again, your helmet isn't THAT heavy, I started with a much heavier video camera myself as did any cameraflyer that has been at it for 5+ years, and the still camera was way heavier too. And yeah, I had some cramped muscles along the way, and a few people I know have REALLY gotten hurt (neck/back) jumping camera.

No-one ever said serious camera flying is easy ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yo man, so yeah, haven't updated jump numbers in quite a while. Over 400 jumps now. hehe. Anywho, when I said I hadn't jumped one before I meant specifically the flat top narrow. I have actually been jumping a Hawkeye with rebel xti (canon 15mm) on top with gopro for a good while with no issue at all. Just when I went to the front-mounted stills it rocked me. I have a stilleto 135 (1.25) which I get about an 800-1000' snivel out of after rolling the nose. Looking down always for sure obviously. Is the stiletto not a good option because of it's squirrely openings? Any suggestions on canopies?

Do you think that doing a rebel top, cx150 side mount on an optik or rawa or something might help? I kinda had the same reaction as you thinking that if this type of helmet was so bad, why would anyone fly them? But maybe my neck just isn't as strong as others? Thanks for the two cents! Two more would be awesome!

L
He whose eye happens to look down into the abyss becomes dizzy. Why? It is just as much in his own eye as in the abyss, for suppose he had not looked down. Hence anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.

Wait, is that my computer sitting next to that sharp looking helmet?!?! Whatup Dave? :D

No stealing my helmet! :p I was just reading this thinking that the funniest part is when you say 'hehe', I can actually hear you do that evil laugh of yours...

So you may stick out the Flattop narrow for a bit? What about the Mantle as an option?

Here you go...

The rest is custom built, carbon fiber and aluminum mounts. The still camera just slides in and out when the Video Camera is removed

My goal was to make it snag proof. I've decided there is no such animal. But, like you guys all know, we keep on trying.

I love the G-10 and I'm currently designing a new setup with it, and one of those small new video cams. My goal is to cut the weight and size by at least 1/3.

does this look familiar? great config SJF - thanks

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

;) Nice setup there... I think I may have to wait a while to afford that helmet... i've seen one around Raeford, NC so far... looks really comfy! Other than that... I refurbished an older FlatTopPro with custom paint by yours truly. Had to leave for a week and waititng to mount the video...
1- FTP custom airbrushed with 2 coats of PPG clear. Shumacher mount with concrentric sight. Toungue swith and HypEye D.
2- T1I with a TAMRON 8-24 MM wide angle and UV/Polorizor filter (colors come out vivid)
3- CX 100 with .45

All that and took a picture with an Iphone... what a hipocrit!!

Damn, mine pales in comparison to some of the others that have been posted.:S But it works for me B|

Edit: I just realized these are old pics, i have since turned my still upside down cause the flash showed in the video with my .43:D

Currently researching the type of setup I want to invest in...for the people with the video on top and photo mounted o

n the front, does the weight of it pull forward on your neck or do you feel it pretty well balanced?

Can someone tell me what kind of bracket is on the side of this helmet?
I was looking at it and thought something like that would be a feasible option for getting the cx up higher and closer to center Of my invertigo without having to shell out for a flat top..
http://www.dropzone.com/classifieds/Detailed/Photography/TonFly_Fugeo_Pro_complete_set_up._144238.html
Thanks

cpoxon

Not mine, stolen from Facebook :)

Ha, it looks silly, but obviously it's a more serious setup doing light duty at the moment. It's nice to wear the helmet that you're used to, even if it's just a GoPro on top for the time being! I may do something similar with my CCM soon.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Bonehead FTP w/extended plate

- Really Right Stuff mount for T3i (10-22 lens)
- Schumacher Stealth Box for CX150 (Century .55x)
- GoPro Hero3 Black + Battery BacPac for backup (mounted using 3M 4991 VHB Adhesive)
- Brent's Cross Sight
- homemade mouth switch

Used most for tandem & 4way