bergh

Post your Camera Helmet .....

that's pretty slick...

BTW, what type of still activation do you have? Is that a blow switch?

Yes... I use a blow switch... I had my conceptus Tongue switch fail on me a few years ago and hung it up for the blow switch...

btw: the link I was looking for above is this one... http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/2900253681_53a2dd7cdf.jpg

Which are the perils of posting links to Flickr while at work... :$
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

The camera is a cx105 with the raynox HD5050pro
No the still is out of the frame....
I don't test it yet.
I will do some jumps this weekend.
I had my cookie mxv with the still on the top and the pc105 on side,but I am waiting to buy the cookie black box to return to the old setup.
I feel it too heavy and in front of me the weight...
Thats why I have the cx105 back..
.. It is strange feeling to see the still camera above your eyes...:-))

No the still is out of the frame....
I don't test it yet.
I will do some jumps this weekend.

Because the gap between the top of the still camera and the lower part of the frame of the cx105 is 2"...
I believe it is fine.
But also I have the option to "slide" the cx105 closer to the still camera...if is something wrong..

Then how do you know the still is out of frame? What works on the ground doesn't always work in freefall. Particularly when IS kicks in.

Because the gap between the top of the still camera and the lower part of the frame of the cx105 is 2"...

Not in the picture you posted.

I mean the gap when you watch from the lcd of the camera...
You must add almost 2" from the top of the still to appears on the lcd...
I don't know if you understand and if I am doing the right thing...

I'm surprised as I read this thread to see how many people are trying to cram too much stuff on too small of a helmet.

What they end up doing is expanding outward, and creating a ton of leverage for their gear to either destroy their necks, or if their lucky, just peel the thing right off their heads.

Whatever happened to using the right tool for the job? I hate to sound like an old guy, but back in the day all we had were Hi8 cameras (big) and metal bodied still cameras (heavy).

Now that we have video cameras that don't even need tape, and still cameras made of lightweight plastic, so everyone buys the smallest helmet they can find, and mounts everything in the worst possible way.

Bill Booth hit the nail on the head when he said that everytime you find a way to make skydiving safer, skydivers will find new way to make it dangerous again.

I understand what you are saying (i.e. as it "appears on the LCD") but that appears physically impossible in the set-up you pictured. The camera body itself is only about a half-inch below the video camera lens. If you went up two inches you would block the entire lens. Looking at your helmet, I can't imagine not seeing the stills in the video unless you zoomed almost all the way in.

(I also agree with davelepka)

Yep, Front mount stills with a flexible chin strap is just asking for the helmet to rotate and cause whiplash on opening. I used to jump a side mount then decided I wanted to add stills, first thing I did was geta FTP so the weight would be centered correctly and not cause whiplash.

Front mounting also means you have to use narrow lenses or else you end up getting a lot of the still camera in the video also and that looks horrible.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I understand what you are saying (i.e. as it "appears on the LCD") but that appears physically impossible in the set-up you pictured. The camera body itself is only about a half-inch below the video camera lens. If you went up two inches you would block the entire lens. Looking at your helmet, I can't imagine not seeing the stills in the video unless you zoomed almost all the way in.

(I also agree with davelepka)

I am telling you the truth man...:-)))
You can't see the still camera on the lcd,with the zoom wide open...
I will test it this weekend and I will inform you..:-)).

Not in the picture you posted.

My neck is hurting just by looking at it... No offense to the owner, but i think it's a horrible set up for your neck.
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

View the footage on your computer. The LCD and even TV has "safe zones" where it does not display everything that is being recorded, instead it shows you a box that is about 95% of what the video is recording. This allows for someone that is using a TV that is slightly smaller then the specs to still have everything in their field of view (this is especially useful for titles). The issue is when you view it on the computer you will see it is picking up things another inch or more down and suddenly your still can be partially in the frame.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>The camera body itself is only about a half-inch below the video camera lens.

Mine is set up with an apparent blockage as well (see attached.) I get no interference from the body of the helmet or the camera to the left with a .5 lens. With a .3 lens on the CX100, zoomed all the way out, I can _just_ see the edge of the other lens (see attached.)

The reason so many people get away with that is that HD aspect ratios are so wide. To get a 16:9 aspect ratio you have to throw away most of the bottom and the top of the image - and thus you have more freedom to block the top and bottom of the lens.

>The camera body itself is only about a half-inch below the video camera lens.

Mine is set up with an apparent blockage as well (see attached.) I get no interference from the body of the helmet or the camera to the left with a .5 lens. With a .3 lens on the CX100, zoomed all the way out, I can _just_ see the edge of the other lens (see attached.)

The reason so many people get away with that is that HD aspect ratios are so wide. To get a 16:9 aspect ratio you have to throw away most of the bottom and the top of the image - and thus you have more freedom to block the top and bottom of the lens.

:)

Yep, Front mount stills with a flexible chin strap is just asking for the helmet to rotate and cause whiplash on opening. I used to jump a side mount then decided I wanted to add stills, first thing I did was geta FTP so the weight would be centered correctly and not cause whiplash.

I've done one jump with the still mounted up front and the flash mounted on top next to the video... it was a sub-terminal deployment from a helocopter.

I'd rather have everything on top... I too bought an FTP after jumping with a side mount for a season when I decided to get more serious about video/stills.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

View the footage on your computer. The LCD and even TV has "safe zones" where it does not display everything that is being recorded, instead it shows you a box that is about 95% of what the video is recording. This allows for someone that is using a TV that is slightly smaller then the specs to still have everything in their field of view (this is especially useful for titles). The issue is when you view it on the computer you will see it is picking up things another inch or more down and suddenly your still can be partially in the frame.

Today I did 2 jumps with my "new" setup..
I just see the footage on the tv and on the pc and the still camera is out of the frame...:-))
About the openings I didn't felt something...
Also I have a very snivelly-slow-soft openings...almost 1000ft (5-7")..
The only bad thing is that I can't adjust it to film a little upper,so I returned to my old setup..

Converted Skysystems Mohawk helmet... originally made for a top lens and a belly mount high 8.

Fits a HC21 and a Kodak V705 ultra wide point and shoot. I drill out the side of the helmet for the hype-eye mini and can dub with the camera still in there.

Camera mount is alluminum, and I used closed sell foam and gaffers to minimize snag hazards. The still mount can come off by peeling of two strips of gaffers and unscrewing two phillips head bolts.

It weights 3.5 pounds with the cameras.
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

Congrats! It looks great. Of course I'm biased though That's a nice, clean setup with the dbox. Have you jumped it yet?

Thanks! :)
I took it out for a couple of spins last weekend. It really flies well and is comfortable. Just have to get used to a solid chin compared to the 'chin cup' set-up (think daBomb and BatRak, my former 2 camera helmets).

One thing that I've got to work out is how the massive amount of foam I have to use expands in the plane on the way to altitude. With my BatRak I had to put the helmet on by 9K to be able to close it. The BatRak, however, had a clam shell back, so you could spread the two halves apart and be able to easily get the helmet on.

With the Mantle (and my pea-size XS head) the foam swells incredibly and I have to actually FIGHT to get the helmet on, even at 8K (1,000' lower than my BatRak).

The helmet is snug, but fits well on the ground. No movement or wobble when I shake my head. However, I try and put the helmet on in the plane and I have to 'perch it in front of my head, reach around and barely latch the bone, and ratchet it on, click by click, as it slowly pulls back on my head!

Wish there was a foam that -didn't- expand on the climb to altitude, would form to one's head when heated in the oven, and was functional (plus comfortable) to wear.

If anyone's had experience with this dilemma I'd love to hear from you.

Your fellow 'tella-tubby' cameraflyer :P,

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'm having the same issue. Three jumps on my new mantle from last weekend, and the thing was crazy tight on my head.

One thought: When I first baked the liners, I didn't have the helmet setup yet (no tongue switch, audible, ring site, etc.) Also, I didn't wear my sunglasses. I re-baked the liners with all those things added, so I'm hoping that will make a difference.

If that doesn't work, my next step will be to bake it again, but I'll wear a thin head mask (the one I use for Tandems when it's cold out) to add volume to the inside of the helmet.

I did have my prescription goggle on when I put the liners in for forming. Good thing, too, as -that- would have been an issue if I hadn't.

I like the idea of the thin head mask on during the forming. Let me know if it works and I'll run out and get one myself.

Reading some of the FTP comments from years past I see that they also have the 'crazy tight' thing going when they get a brand new helmet. I'm led to believe that it gets better the more the helmet is worn. Don't remember the time frame though.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Cookie helmet(s) / toys

New Gas with top mount CX100 with hypeye D pro

Cookie Rok with top mount CX7 and black box

Cookie bellymount...

Also have a digital rebel, but since I only shoot video / stills for myself, I don't have to carry both a still and video at once. Also, since I mainly / only BASE jump and fly wingsuits, the setups are perfect... After changing from a sidemount to topmount, it'd be hard to go back!

Not sponsored by cookie, but love them... Now how about a d3o liner for my rok!

_justin