bergh

Post your Camera Helmet .....

I'm looking at your helmet setup and thinking,why don't you get rid of the wing nuts and replace them with the brass knurled nuts ? Less snag hazard. Might want to check into studs with the slotted holes like wes does on his ccw helmets.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

>The battery was dead in my other camera so I could not take picture of the Rebel mounted

Are there no mirrors in your house?

No Im a vampire B|

Tried that and the pictures came out like crap
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Sky Systems Vapor Wes Pro Helmet

After eight years on my old set-up, it was time to put my head into a new helmet system, and I just finished putting together my new SkySystems' Vapor Helmet. I had a couple of goals for this helmet.

1. A more modular and flexible system. At various times, my last helmet held four different video camera models, six different still cameras, two different flashes, and a variety of lenses. I wanted to not only make it easy to swap out equipment in the field (i.e. film to digital, horizontal to vertical, flash, etc.), but to future proof the helmet for whatever unknown equipment I will end up adding in the future.

2. Getting all the equipment up top. I wanted to move the still camera off of my forehead. This not only gets the weight more centered over my spine, but also makes for a clearer field of vision, particularly when I have my flash extension cord on my SLR. This is one reason I went with the Vapor helmet. The Vapor has the most real estate of any commercially available helmet. It has a very wide carbon fiber plate that comes from the factory over-sized so you can customize its length and width for your needs.

I built a series of carbon fiber plates to house my current cameras, and built-them on a system of custom, interchangeable quick-releases ala' Wes Rich. This system is more flexible as far as positioning than commercially available quick release plates, the plates are lower (the bases are built out of 4mm CF), and they have less snag hazards than the traditional gap you get next to a commercial quick release. All the plates can be attached to any mounting position, and all positions are on 3/4-inch centers (yes Wes and Matt, they really all fit and in any position). In the photos of the stock set-up, either the video camera or the SLR can still be moved outboard another 3/4-inch if I need to accommodate something new or larger in the future. Both the shutter trigger and the Hypeye Mini are on mini-plugs to reduce wear and tear on the camera ports, and to allow for quick changes of cameras. I use a blow switch which is inside of the helmet.

I can mount the DSLR plate either horizontally or vertically, and I can attach the flash in either orientation (the plate for the flash also fits the 580EX whenever I get around to upgrading). I also have a simple plate for my film SLR which I still use on many tandems (this plate can't be used vertically), and another plate ready to go for any other SLR. I built two HC-5 plates, one for use with my Raynox HD-5050PRO, and one for my Raynox 4500 which I use for tandems. In reality I could just remove the 5050 lens and put on the 4500 in a pinch, but the dedicated plates have supports under their respective lenses to keep them more secure and snag-proof.

The Future? Well I haven't even flown it yet, but I'll be taking it out for it's maiden voyage at the Z-Team 64-ways at Z-Hills this month. As mentioned, it is a modular system, and although the plates are somewhat camera specific (not totally), similar plates could be built for any future equipment I need to add. You'll notice that when the SLR is mounted horizontally next to the HC-5, it overhangs the helmet by about an inch. I also noticed that the new CX100 is about an inch narrower than my HC-5. Hmmm...
I also took my older Vapor helmet (with a narrower top) and tried it with my HVR-V1U and it fits perfectly, so that may turn into my special projects helmet.

A big thanks for the technical support from Doug Park (SkySystems), Trunk (Hypoxic), and Matt Hoover (this forum). And thanks to Wes Rich for his inspiration.

AHHHH Helmet envy!
I love this set up right up until i saw the vertical flash mount on the side. Why couldn't the flash go on top in the center like it mounted horizontal? It looks really sweet though. I never shoot vertical stills to much though.
I have mine mounted horizontal but i also have a vertical mount for the flash too .
Mine don't look near as pretty as yours. :)

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Why couldn't the flash go on top in the center like it mounted horizontal?

The flash is mounted to a sled. The sled can be mount to either the bottom of the vertical mount, or on a T-bracket that puts it on top of the camcorder when the SLR is mounted vertical. It is a little ironic that the vertical mount with flash is the widest arrangement, but it is still relatively compact, and this is probably the least used set-up. However, if I want I can also mount the DSLR vertically with flash sans video camera, in which case the entire set-up would be inside the top plate (see attached).

My helmet is in the paint shop right now getting a custom job. I'll get it all back together sometime next week and post some photo's of it. I have all 3 side by side on it. Video, still in the center, flash on the right side audio receiver on the back side.

That depends on what canopy your jumping . You would be amazed how well balanced that set up is too.
It isnt as heavy as you would think it is.

It is all about weight transfer and balance .

Front mounted still camera is the worst thing on your neck. A heavy lens and stuff out there gives it more torque to injure you.

...what did it set you back?

I never really added it up because it would have scared me too. But the major stuff is off the shelf (Vapor helmet, cameras, sights, etc.) so you could do that math. Hypoxic has a good package price on the Hypeye, sight, and sight hardware that saves some money. I already had the HC-5, flash and audible, but I did get an XTi off of e-bay to use instead of my 20D because of it's lower weight, and 1/2-inch less width (fairly critical when both cams are on top).

In addition, I probably spent a couple hundred on carbon fiber sheet stock (don't know if I bought that at the best price), and $25 every time I turned around for stainless hardware, connectors, etc. And you have to factor in replacement drill bits and saw blades as the CF really chews through these. But keep in mind the price of the helmet system itself will be amortized over many, many years. Even if/when cameras and technology change, this helmet will be easy to use or adapt. Much more so than helmets or boxes dedicated to a particular model or style of camera.

Wes made me a quote of over $1100.00 just for the mounts and plate .I just couldn't justify that .I made mine for about 200.00 including the strobo plates.

Some shots of my current configuration... since I got a CX100 this year and a Canon 10-22mm... I've been able to go back to my narrow flat top and still mount both the still and video within the confines of the helmet... I can fit an HC5 up there but it's tight...

I'm also able to jump either the 50D or an XSi as I constructed a switch adapter to go from the 2.5mm plug to the three prong N-type plug...

I also realize that I haven't posted any pictures showing my RRS mounts...

I can still mount the still to the front and jump a my 580EX... as well as mounting the flash next to the still (where the video camera is) and jump just the still with the flash)

I have considered trying to come up with a method to mount the flash above the CX100 so I can jump with all three on top but haven't figured out how to do that yet...

the button in the upper right of the second photo is an external SPST switch for my Hypeye Pro-D connector... This one right here in fact...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Finally have my Bonehead Mantle ready to fly.

Sony TRV22
Bonehead dBox
Canon 300D
Stroboframe quick release (2)
CamEye II
Conceptus Tongue Switch
Brent Finley ring site (sans glass)
Schumacher articulating ring site mount

(photos taken, yes, with my cell phone. :P)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Looks nice. You did a great job.. any pics of the still plug mod?

-Bowen

I don't... and I'm not sure it's all that exciting... all consists of is a 2.5mm female plug that is wired to an N3 Style plug about 2 inches long... (I got the N3 style plug from an inexpensive ebay switch which was sacrificed, and the 2.5mm plug was from a cameye extender although I think a 2.5mm plug can be found at radioshack and/or I'm sure can be located at digikey...

the trick is to get the connections correct... and think this is a wiring diagram that compares the N3 plug to the 2.5mm stereo plug... http://www.flickr.com/photos/s3is-rox/2236114921/ but since I can't go to flickr at work It may not be... :$

Great photos. Thanks for the detail.

Quick question, and maybe I should put some more thought into it before asking, but why do you prefer the external SPST switch for your video instead of using the HypeEye switch?

because I could... and because it was easier to set it up such that I could quickly remove and replace my top-plate with a different plate in a different configuration... I also like the clean look of the SPST...

basically the SPST is set up using a Phono plug and I can merely remove the top-plate, pull the plug, put on a different plate, and plug in a different switch.

I suppose my way is more or less just one way of setting up the hypeye-proD but certainly not the only way to do it.