DJL

0.45, 0.3, 0.5, WTF?

So far I find it works best to put the lens on the camera and look and the field of view. The numbers aren't comprable because there is no standard in the industry. Each manufacturer determines their own standards, focal lengths, etc... In general, smaller numbers are wider, we all know that, but only compared to lenses of the same manufacturer. Sony's are way wider than Kenko. A sony .6 is close to a kenko .42.
http://www.exitshot.com

I'm quite happy to be corrected on this one but um... I would hazzard a guess that some of the skydiving related lens manufacturers probably don't actually make the lens themselves but buy them in and brand them...

I'm only guessing here but... given the number of places you can find "low profile" 0.3 and 0.5 lenses, all of which look absolutely identical, and cost within a few bucks of one another, I would suspect we're looking at probably 1 manufacturer that supplies everyone.

If that is the case they may not be able to help us with details on exactly how they come up with the numbers on the box.