jrcrackers

Canon Vs. Nikon

I just got a 20D and have had no troubles with the 15mm sigma that I bought last year.

It's certainly hit-or-miss between different off-brand lenses. It seems to depend on how old the lenses are.

I had the errorr 99 with a Sigma 24mm, but not with my Sigma 15mm. I ended up replacing the Sigma 24mm with a Canon one, because at the time I didn't know Sigma would "re-chip" it.

This problem is not restricted to individual bodies.... The symptoms seem to exist on a range of newly released bodies. I actually spotted the problem first with my film Rebel G-II, and later confirmed it on my Digital Rebel. That same lens worked fine with a bunch of older Rebels. Others have reported issues between this same lens and their 10Ds and 20Ds.

I suspect that Canon occaisionally tweaks the interface between body and lens, and all new bodies after a certain point will conform to the "newer" standard. 3rd parties like Sigma just aren't in on the standard so they're left guessing...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

It worked :)
I think you should mention are some things about how the camera works though:
- you need to put the camera in the remote mode
- it only allows you to take about one pic/sec in remote mode
- the remote mode cancels after 30 secs of non-use (didn't count that though, maybe longer)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It worked :)
I think you should mention are some things about how the camera works though:
- you need to put the camera in the remote mode
- it only allows you to take about one pic/sec in remote mode
- the remote mode cancels after 30 secs of non-use (didn't count that though, maybe longer)

The default is 60 sec, but you can set it for 5, 10, or 15 minutes. See Custom Setting 25: Remote (page 154 of the D70 user guide).

B|

it only allows you to take about one pic/sec in remote mode

That's stupid, the big pro for the D70 is its speed :(. Although I think speed is important, it's not that important as some people claim IMHO. My analogue SLR (Pentax MZ-10) only does 1.8 fps. (but it does it continously, so I am still only limited by the film ;) )
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

A friend of mine says he hacked the digital rebel to act the same as the 10-d speed and everything . He says it is exactly the same as 10-d now !!!!

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

He says it is exactly the same as 10-d now !!!!

That is simply not possible. While there are software hacks that will unlock some options previously only available on the 10D (things like IS0 3200, flash exposure compensation, RAW+JPEG mode, mirror lock up, and a couple of extra AF modes), some important things like the size of the frame buffer (4 for the 300D, 9 for the 10D) and continuous drive rate (2.5 fps vs. 3 fps) are limited by hardware.

That is simply not possible. While there are software hacks that will unlock some options previously only available on the 10D (things like IS0 3200, flash exposure compensation, RAW+JPEG mode, mirror lock up, and a couple of extra AF modes), some important things like the size of the frame buffer (4 for the 300D, 9 for the 10D) and continuous drive rate (2.5 fps vs. 3 fps) are limited by hardware.

In addition, one of the faults with the Digital Reble seems to be the body its self. While it's a good camera, the incidences of malfunctions are higher and many seem to be due to the lighter weight, less carefuly sealed body.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yes, you can. You just have to remember to multiply the focal length by 1.6 for the 10D, 20D, and 300D. So your 24mm lens on a 10D would be equivalent to a 38mm lens on your Rebel G. To make your 10D roughly equivalent to what you are getting now with your G you would need a 15mm lens on the 10D.