skajdajver

0.45 or 0.6? Probably old question, but i wonder...

depends on how close you're gonna fly, the wider the lens the closer you have to be. So wider is good for tandems but harder for freefly unless you're shithot.
I prefer .42 on standard sony camera (.45 on PC5 etc) If you have a stills camera make sure the lenses are compatible width (otherwise you'll have to fly back and forwards all the time.. :p
get a fisheye, they rock!

The PC109 has a standard lens i think...? Then the .6 will be .6 and you shouldn't go any bigger.
You'll need a ring sight and you won't catch everything in frame when you come really close. Everybody I know who used to jump .6 'downsized' to .42/.45 after a while because they'd lose the people out of frame.

You'll need a ring sight and you won't catch everything in frame when you come really close. Everybody I know who used to jump .6 'downsized' to .42/.45 after a while because they'd lose the people out of frame.

The Sony .6 is comparable in field of view to other manufacturers .42 and .45. In some cases it's actually wider. The .6 actually is wider than the Kenko .5

Anyone who ditches the Sony .6 for the "wider" .45 should be sure to do plenty of testing first.

Manufacturer numbers are notoriously unreliable.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

***Manufacturer numbers are notoriously unreliable.

==================================

I think the numbers may be right.

The differences come from the Sony fitting Sony cams w/o a step down ring. Another brand using a step down ring will have the two lenses further apart, increasing the focal length.

It could also be that different lenses, even with adapter rings, end up with different lenghts between the lenses making a comparison of numbers an apples to oranges kind of thing.

I'm guessing that there's a standard format for calculating the mag. factor of a wide angle lens, and that most mfg's are using it, but it's the lens housing, camera specs, and adapter rings are screwing it up.

Lets not forget the differences that arise when you need to bump in your zoom to cut out the corners, and how much bump each lens needs.

The differences come from the Sony fitting Sony cams w/o a step down ring. Another brand using a step down ring will have the two lenses further apart, increasing the focal length.

My Sony .6 is significantly wider than my Kenko .5, and neither has a step-down (or up) ring.

I do buy the explanation that maybe the actual glass has a proper multiplication factor, and that the differences come from different housing sizes...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.