Brains

Comments/Suggestions on pics wanted

These are a few of the better pics from a practice tandem video that i did last weekend. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.:) Canon Eos Rebel w/ Canon 28mm fixed lens.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Are you using auto focus?

It looks as if you're getting under them enough, but you could have your camera angle a bit higher. Shim the camera if your head is already cranked back as far as you can have it.

Are you using wings?

They can let you sit a bit head higher.

I love shooting Vertical on tandems (although I havent been doing it much lately. I think the effect is better.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

No auto focus, but i am flying a bit closer to the tandem than i do my skysurfing teammate:D something about them not having a board on them:D I do need to adjust the focal length a little for when i am shooting them.
I am flying wings, i use a flitesuit jacket with a c-wing

Steep angle has been preached to me by ZEE and by Jason who is the TI in the photos. I am still trying to adjust from shooting a skysurfer to shooting tandems. I will get it before i get in the rotation.;) Thanks JP.:)

The shots are way good enough to be sellable product.

You've already looked at one thing, the focus. Perfect, you know what to do, either back up/down a bit, or adjust the lens a bit.

Steep angle is good, but remember you have video too, so change it up and make it fun. When the TI spins the pair, swoop around them in the other direction, or pop up and back to drouge height. Since you shoot skysurf, you might be comfortable doing a carve around them on your back, and then being able to recover to place yourself right in place to get a face shot.

Most of all have fun and stay safe.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Good job B!

You're gettin' there - You have a good angle, could try to get a little steeper but they still look pretty damned good. Tell Jason to wash that dirt off his face - he's starting to look like Dave H.B|

As far as proximity goes - it's good with the 28 mm - you want to keep the whole package in frame and you're close enough to capture the facial expressions which is the whole point if you ask me.

Keep it up my man,
Z

Action©Sports

Good job B!
Keep it up my man,
Z

Thanks mike, i have seen LOTS of your stuff, and that is what i am shooting for.B|

Looks like you have a pretty scared student there.

:ph34r::ph34r: She was "concentrating" it was a working tandem, she did great and had a blast.;)

Good job B!
Keep it up my man,
Z

Thanks mike, i have seen LOTS of your stuff, and that is what i am shooting for.B|

I'm sure it won't take you long - Try shooting Erik a few times and he'll dial ya right in. He's likely to give you a ton of crap but it's all in good fun. And after 9,000 tandems I think he might have a few good ideas to pass along too.

I don't know if you've seen it yet but I put together a tandem video that I was planning on using as part of a new running tape when I moved back down to Texas - that's not going to happen now that I landed a new job up here in Seattle but it might give you some new ideas.

P.S - The music is a little different but it had to be "Phil Proof" or it would have been banned along with the rest of my running tapes;) :D:D

Tandem Video

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

Damn you... I forgot just how much I missed those nice could forests over TX and San Marcos till I saw your video. I need to get back there some day. :)
How are you getting that steep on the tandems? When I try with my wings I either feel like I'm going to flip backwards so I rotate over into a sit then I'm too fast even with the wings, or I float on the tandem.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

How are you getting that steep on the tandems? When I try with my wings I either feel like I'm going to flip backwards so I rotate over into a sit then I'm too fast even with the wings, or I float on the tandem.

It all depends what you're used to, I guess. I usually don't film straight on when I shoot tandem video - I'll fly near sideways and turn my head towards the tandem - makes it easier to crank my head back cuz the yoke of my rig isn't in the way. I also arch like a bastard (not quite flying on my knees, but close) and hang on my wings.

I don't know what kind of gear you're using but I find that a top-mount gives me the best results. But once again, it all depends upon what you're used to.

I don't miss Texas that much but I really do miss Skydive San Marcos. It was an awesome place to work and the local jumpers are a freakin' blast.

Think I might have to get my ass back down there for the annual Thanksgiving Gun FestB|

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

Rad video dude - you've got your shit dialled right in.

Not sure that a video showing you flying directly over the tandem pair, and even grabbing the drogue bridal, is the best to show to an aspiring tandem video guy though... [:/]

Canuck

LOL! Yeah, you're probably right about thatB|. But, that is one of those things that happens and if you're not prepared - whack!. The tandem master in that clip (Doug Jaques) has well over 7,000 tandems and I've worked with him quite a bit so he feels completely comfortable playing with the students while I'm with him. He started to spin the student really fast and they were headed straight for me so I popped up above them and they went directly underneath me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the TM - It's my job to get out of the way, and I did;)

Not your every day tandem video, I'll admit, but it all turned out well and we did discuss it afterwards - never happened again:)
Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

I think a FireFly suit would resolve any questions of perfection. I've personally seen your stuff, and there are but a handful of camera flyers on the planet who can do what you do. (what can I say, skysurfers turn good camera flyers into great ones!)

And with a bronze medal from the 2004 Nationals, I think you would have some pricing leverage.

Lawrence

Paul,

Since when do camera flyers fly with booties?

The bottom line here is that if you want to fly on every axis with perfection, your get a FireFly suit.

And if you want to relive your childhood and wear pajamas with da booties (or rip points on your belly) you get one of dem suits with the rubber baby buggy bumpers on 'em.

Lawrence

Since when do camera flyers fly with booties?

Hardcore 4 way. I cost my team a point by not having the drive that booties give up the hill.

And before you get all pajama talking again, I was on the current record sequential team. When everybody else is wearing booties and knows how to fly them, you can't keep up without them. The only time I ever wanted them was at Nationals. You don't need them until you need them, and for me that was once in about 1200 jumps.

One too many times.

I think a FireFly suit would resolve any questions of perfection. I've personally seen your stuff, and there are but a handful of camera flyers on the planet who can do what you do. (what can I say, skysurfers turn good camera flyers into great ones!)

And with a bronze medal from the 2004 Nationals, I think you would have some pricing leverage.

Hey Lawrence, you OBVIOUSLY have me confused with Crazy Larry, who was Rob Harris' camera flyer.:D:D

You've already looked at one thing, the focus. Perfect, you know what to do, either back up/down a bit, or adjust the lens a bit.

Ok, after a little layoff, i am back working on tandem video/stills. I have adjusted my focal length for tandems and have been working on flying steeper. The TI that i have been working with is also one of my video mentors. You can see him giving me corrections in one pic.:D (not a paid video, just practice) Here are a few results. Again, any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Looks real good to me. When my TM points down like that, he doesn't mean get steeper, he means means the spot is screwed!;)

LOL,:D for paid videos, we have another hand signal before breakoff that means that and doesn't adversly affect the video.;)

Thanks for the compliment, i am hoping to get in the rotation by next month.:)