SkySlut

Camera Helmet Weight...

I am looking at getting a camera helmet. There are so many choices. One of the biggest factors is weight because I dont need any fusions in my neck. The other factors is left/top mount, minimal snags, etc. I have narrowed it down to a few and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions. I have been asking around and I have tried on every helmet concievable. Everyone who jumps that particular helmet think that their helmet is the cat's ass...so I would like to hear what others have to say. Here are the ones that I am looking at...Rawa, 2K Composites, Cookie Composites and of course the Hawkeye (although I think its the heaviest one out of the bunch-but the cheapest).

My priorities, in order are...lightweight, safety (snag points/cutaway options), durability and price.

Also, does anyone have a glass fibre helmet and how do they hold up and are they typically lighter than the carbon fibre helmets?

Thanks

Are you wanting to shoot video for a team or students/tandems? Or are you putting a helmet on your head for shits and giggles?

For me, I wanted a camera for shits and giggles, so I went with an Optik with a PC-105 in a box, sidemount. Its a simple setup and easy to "site" since basically what I look at (with my head, not my eyes) is on video.

I'm sure the "serious" video guys will talk about the advantages of top mount for professional video.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Out of all your choices and your criteria, the RAWA is hands down the lightest and comes with the most accessories that you would have to buy with the others (bite switch, top mount platform, shark fin, helmet bag,extra screws). It is also very well designed, particularly the chin cup which doesn't require you to cut it as the excess is stowed inside the chin cup itself.The whole set up is very snag proof. You can check out pictures of it and my full review HERE
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

me personally i use a FTN...may soon go to a pro...but i like it because of for one...when adding more and more crap to your head you can center all the weight....everything on top. If or when i get my pro i will have my video, stills, and flash all centered on top to minimize strain on my neck.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

It is not true AggieDave. They are producing it. I guess you can find it in Aerostore in the USA.

Glad to hear it, they make some really nice helmets and I was bummed to hear that rumor. Thanks for the reply on the matter.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Glass fibre has to be thicker to give the same strength as carbon fibre, so will be heavier. If you want lightweight go carbon. If you’re worried about weight remember that the biggest influence on the overall weight will be the camera model. It’s pointless going for a helmet that’s 2oz lighter than anything else if you then attach a camera that’s 10oz heavier than any other model.

2K comes in carbon fibre or glass fibre. One of the best helmets out there for build quality and design. Great cutaway system and free from snags. One of the more expensive on the market.

Rawa is raved about. Doesn’t quite have the same build quality but is a nice helmet and owners love them. Has oodles of accessories as standard.

Cookie composites looks very much like the 2K helmet. Again it has outstanding build quality – the designer has a background in pro race bike fairings. I think these are a blend of carbon and Kevlar.

Hawkeye is the only one without a box over the camera as standard. It’s a nice helmet but didn’t fit my head at all well – try them all on because as with everything different helmets fit different heads.

yeah, I am going to be eventually shooting video for students...just kinda doing it for shits and giggles at the moment until I get the hang of it....what a pain in the ass sorting all this stuff out has become. from suits to mixing boards, to cameras, to helmets, blah, blah, blah...

Thanks for the input. Ive got a pc101...$450 bucks, brand new off of Ebay...I am stoked with that thing so far....now a helmet and I am going to borrow different type of wingsuits to see what I prefer.

Cheers

RAWA is hands down the lightest and comes with the most accessories that you would have to buy with the others (bite switch, top mount platform, shark fin, helmet bag,extra screws).

Well, this is interesting. I bought a RAWA at Rantoul and the only accessories that it came with were a couple extra d-box screws and a helmet bag. Should I call up Aerostore and ask why I didn't get the bite switch, top mount platform, and shark fin? I wonder why I didn't get that stuff, if they are considered "standard" accessories... [:/]

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

what a pain in the ass sorting all this stuff out has become. from suits to mixing boards, to cameras, to helmets, blah, blah, blah...

Then get ready....some people are going to insist that you provide services and product for free...:P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

You pretty much left out Bonehead as the designer and manufacturer of the only mass-produced (and affordable) "Pro-Series" of camera helmets.
The FTP and FTN are among the lightest of the top mount helmets in existance. Wes helmets might be a little bit lighter but are over twice the price.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I only addressed the helmets listed in the original post - the ones they said they had narrowed their choice down to and were looking for opinions on.

But if we're going to think a little wider I don't have a bad word to say about the bonehead helmets - for whatever my opinion's worth. They’re by far the market leader and without a doubt some of the best helmets out there.

I suppose the helmet most comparable to those listed would be the Optic. The base price is significantly cheaper than most of the others listed. It’s a fairly standard open face with flat left side and top mount in carbon. Bake to fit lining and a nice addition of a lip at the base of the side mount to deflect risers and lines.

Cookie, Rawa and 2K have built in camera boxes and mounts though so to make it truly comparable a mount and box either from bonehead or somewhere else would have to be added. This would make the overall cost more comparable to the other models.

Personally I really don't think the bonehead camera boxes provide particularly good protection for the money they cost but hey, that's just my opinion. The clamshell would probably be one of the lightest on the market though so may be perfect in this instance. On the other hand it’s always possible to mix and match manufacturers or simply stick a plain old L-bracket on the thing. Arrow dynamics for example do a very sturdy roll cage and any fool should be able to knock up an L-bracket.

Plenty of other helmets out there too of course. Skypimp helmets (Texas?) get great reviews although I’ve never had the pleasure of handling one. Other ones very similar to those listed by the first poster are the Hard Deck helmet by Fibrezone (Oz company) and Sky-Designs helmets which I think are Dutch. Both offer helmets very similar to the 2K/Rawa helmets. I’ve heard nothing but good about both.

Glass fibre has to be thicker to give the same strength as carbon fibre, so will be heavier. If you want lightweight go carbon.

When I was trying to decide about going with carbon or glass fibre I emailed 2k composites and asked about it.

"Actually glass fibre has a little bit more give so less likely
> to shatter. The weight difference is also minimal, on average only 15g to
> 20g."

is the answer I got back. They basically said if you want the look of the carbon finish go that route otherwise save the bucks and go with the glass fibre.

2k composites was excellent about quickly returning my emails. I had also been reading about loooong delays in peoples delivery times but mine arrived within 7 days of the estimated shipping date that they gave me when I ordered it.

DUDE!!! they shipped your camera on-time!!!??? that RULES!!!

ok pardon the drunken PM. i am just glad to hear that they didn't F you over like they did me. UM, i ordered late april and i got it in mid august??!! F THEM!!! at least it fits. i just got my ring sight in the mail last week and have yet to put it on. i'm drunk and lazy, partially cause my cypres is out on its 4 year anyway. WELL i will chat at you later!!!!

b

Just to shed some light on the subject.

I personally believe that the resin systems and manufacturing method that is used in the building of a helmet shell has a lot to do with weight verses strength verses overall appearance versus COST!!
Each one of the above can be compromised slightly depending on the technique employed.

I know Cookiecomposites and Bonehead uses a Autoclave/Vacum Bagging technique.
Cookiecomposites uses a Pre-Impregnated Carbon/Epoxy. I thinks Bonehead does the same now.
Carbon fibre with epoxy resins is the bee's knee's as far as strength/weight goes. Why some manufacturers charge more is that it is more expensive than fibreglass for one but to get a good carbon fibre finish where all the fibres are nice and straight takes some patience and time, equating to higher production costs.

The reason why fibreglass helmets weigh more is that more material is need to stop the helmets from fracturing when stressed. Most fibreglass helmets are ridgid and donot flex easily due to this. Also cheaper/less flexible polyester resins are generally used with fibreglass construction.
I not saying it's a bad thing at all using fibreglass for helmet shell's but there is a compromise ie $$ verses weight

It's a competative market out there for all us helmet manufacturers. I find this a good thing as our customers will always be demanding and expecting the best.

Cookie

Well, this is interesting. I bought a RAWA at Rantoul and the only accessories that it came with were a couple extra d-box screws and a helmet bag.

I don't know what to tell you. The only thing I can think of is that I ordered from RAWA direct.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING