jdm0912

achieving proper fit for non custom helmet

Just wondering if there are any links (or if anyone wants to post) related to the subject of "techniques for ensuring a proper fit for camera helmets." I bought a helmet (like many others, I'm sure) where the size is slightly larger than necessary b/c the next size down would've been much too small.

I'd like to look into having it fit properly so it doesn't move from side to side. Currently, I have to tighten the chip cup a great deal (maybe this is normal) and it still moves b/c of the fit (mostly too much room on the sides).

Any information on molding (injection) or the best materials to use?

Any help appreciated.

John

What brand of helmet is it?? Bonehead sells kits with extra foam that you can slip in the padding to customize your own helmet. (Fits their helmets) I also used some pieces of plain foam rubber to fill in the sides of an older helmet but eventually it develops memory and you need to replace it.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I suppose rubber foam is what they've used - this would be better, but I didn't come across any. Avail. at a H/W store?

Aren't Hawkeye helmets made near eloy somewhere? I bet they would help you fit it. Otherwise there are all types and densities of foam you could use. Mini-cell foam is popular for kayakers to outfit their boats with, dense foam and slick when wet, camera cases have a less dense foam and you can usually buy it at camera stores to re-fit different cases etc. The sleeping pads sold at most outdoors stores has very inexpensive, basic foam rubber also. I would try to contact the manufacturer first and get their advice.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I had the same problem.

The solution was to take out the inserts, cut a neoprene mouse mat (or any other solid foam mat) to shape. Put the mat against the helmet sides and then put the originals over the top.

I found I had to put two layers on the sides and one on top.

Worked for over 200 jumps like that. No problem at all.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

Thanks for your inputs. (I've always thought there are several ways to accomplish the same thing, and, undoubtedly, one or two of those will stand out as being the most efficient. Thus, the reason for my post-the more opinions in this case, the better).

Try a wet suit balaclava type hood/helmet, you can always cut it to suit once you have worked out which thickness you need. At least it is the right sort of shape already.

Take your helmet along to the scuba store, and explain the problem.

Might work....:S
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson