salsicha

emergencies

I was thinking about the possible emergencies that the cameramen have to deal with. It’s important for everybody that is beginning, and also for the experienced cameramen.
Those are the points I remember.
Please add more:

- the loop of the wing has to be over the altimeter strap;
- helmets without sharp angles;
- helmets that you can easily take off, with one hand;
- do not use the RSL (steven’s);
- be careful with the wing when deploying;
- always deploy stable (even when using the reserve);
- debris that can came from the formation;
- sudden openings of the main or reserve;

what else?

Salsicha (shaggy)

If you loop the Alti over the swoop cords then you can some times have troubles reaching all the way up to grab your toggles.

Same thing with gloves. The swoop cords should be the VERY last thing to put on. After the gloves, after the alti.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Isn't the "rule"
1.Pull
2.Pull at altitude
3.Pull Stable

True . . . at -some- point you have to pull.

However, I can think of at least two camera flyers that would probably be alive today if they had just waited a couple of seconds to get stable. The issue is that an unstable deployment can bring the risers and lines up near all those snaggable goodies on your helmet.

When push comes to shove and you get way too freekin' low, yeah, PULL no matter what, but until then you might want to work the problem a little more.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Here's one...

If the tandem master doesn't give a rock or a count or you just mis-judge the exit and you end up diving after the tandem that you are filming... Watch out for the drogue deployment so that as you're diving down, and the drogue is deploying up, that the two of you don't meet rather abruptly.

(Got a real interesting video on some old archived tape somewhere...) :S

Another one, don't get under the tandem EVER. You never know when the TM will pull. I got to see that from the TM point of view, had the video guy flip over and in doing so slid towards the tandem. Went right under and I felt the burble. Saw video of the same but the clearence was only a few feet before the tandem would have fell through the trap door and hit the videographer.

Goes with out saying but don't get above the tandem either.

Scan formations to look for loose objects that might fly up and hit you. Shoes, Alti's, goggles, etc have been seen to fly up and hit unsuspecting video flyers.

After a funnel look for gear issues. I once caught a ROL out of the corner of my eye about half out after a funnel. It deployed normally but could have went at any time in the skydive since it was just flopping there waiting to catch air.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com