vdschoor

"home printing" of pictures

All,

I wanted to get a feel of who is home printing their pictures.
The reason for this is that I see a lot of the pictures that are printed at home fade in a couple of weeks time, they turn yellow and just "disappear"

During the Byron Boogie we want to setup a photo concession so we can print some pictures right there for people that are interested in getting a photo of their jump, but I absolutely refuse to sell something that will fade in a couple of weeks.

Any recommendations / experiences with certain printers / ink / papers that do last?

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Iwan

I print the majority of my stuff at home... I use an Epson 1280, Epson Ink, and Epson paper... been doing so since 2001... I can't even begin to estimate how many pictures I've printed, and have only had to replace one due to fading...

Some inks, and some papers don't mix, so I wouldn't recommend just buying the generic photo paper from wally world, at least not for pictures that you're selling (maybe for proofs)...

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Whatever you do, don't try using a Lexmark. They do not make a water resistant ink.

I have had good results with HP. Best Buy had a factory rep for Epson this week. I spoke with him about water resistance and fading. They have an ink that he swears by. I have forgotten the name, but it is something "Brite", I believe. The printer has to be compatible with the process or it won't work. You can't just buy the cartridge.

Ed

Geez. All you had to do was look upstairs?!?:S

Ok hun, I will come upstairs this weekend and check them out.
I guess the key here is once again, the right paper with the right ink.
I know a couple of other photos around the dropzone are home prints out of a HP printer, and they faded within weeks, I guess the wrong paper or ink was used, I don't know.

Personally for photo stuff, I am leaning towards Epson (I love the R800) but if you can convince me on HP, that's fine too :P

Dye sublimation printer? what's that? how do they differ from say an HP deskjet?

Read this:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question583.htm

It's a completely different process than a deskjet. The prints are higher quality. The most noticeable difference is the continuous tone and the colors won't fade or bleed. You can also handle the print as soon as it comes out, no drying needed.

I have an 8x10 dye sub printer and now a 4x6 dye sub printer. I love them!

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

What is your cost for each dye sub print? paper, printer costs. What is the largest size you can print?

I'd never heard of it, but it sounds really nice, here's a link to a Kodak 8x10 printer http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/printers/8500/8500.jhtml

They are a lot more expensive than inkjet though, I think working with the UltraChrome inks from Epson you can get really nice prints that last too.

Iwan