bskyz

Sony PC-350

:)For the other guys with a 350 and a left side mount helmet... what did you do about the lanc connection. It seems to be on the right side of the camera. I'm heading back to 2K this weekend (I'm in the UK right now) to see about making a hole for the connector to fit through. Has anybody ever seen any kind of low profile lanc connector or extension? Also, the wrist/hand strap onthe camera seems to be permanantly mounted. Looks like I either have to cut the strap or maybe use one of those watch strap pin tools or something to try to remove the pin. Do you guys leave the strap on or have you taken it off?
So far I'm impressed with the camera... haven't jumped it yet though but from the reviews and other posts it should be good.
I also bought the Royal lens 0.3 and damn that image is wide!!!!

Congratulations on the setup! I actually meant to give 2k a call when I got my helmet to let them know that the Cam-Eye / Lanc connector does not fit in the helmet as provided. I was able to Dremel out a small chunk on the inside, and it now fits like a glove.

As to the camera, I cut the strap off as soon as I got it. You might be able to fit it in there with it on, but I have always found PC cameras more comfortable without the strap anyway...

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

So far he made my bracket the same as the PC 330. He's never seen the 350 yet which is why I'm going to bring it to him. He'll likely take a bunch of measurements of it etc. I'll show him the lanc issue and he will likely modify future helmets being made for that camera. Looks like we're the guinea pigs on this one.

Hi Rob -

Don't cut the strap off yet as Steve at 2K will most likely be able to help... On my 330 he managed to remove the bulky swivel point without damaging anything, so at least it's all still intact in case I need to do any normal stuff with it.

If you still need to get your reserve re-packed, Hinton is only a 15-20 mins drive from 2K

Went to visit Steve at 2K today. First we made a new bracket for the 350. He also made a template for the future cutomers buying a helmet for the 350. Next we cut out a small part inside the helmet for the lanc cable to go through. There is already a section marked off in the helmet that he removes for the H40 camera. He removed that same section. In the future, he will now remove that same section for all helmets. After that we chopped my chin strap thingies, (don't know what they're called) so that the plastic strap doesn't stick out as much. He did an awesome job.
After that I headed to Skydive Hinton and waited for a while and made it onto the last load of the day. Did a 6 way tube jump. Froze my fingers. Damn it was cold!! I forgot to set up my camera for manual focus. But for most of the jump there was someone in the center of the frame so the auto focus wasn't too bad.
I'll take some photos of my setup and post them when I get a chance. I think it looks great though!!

Okay, here we go!!

Here's the pictures I took of my setup. :)http://www3.telus.net/public/geolil/skydive/camera/helmet.htm

2K Composites helmet, Sony PC-350 Camera, Royal Lens 0.3x
There are a few pics of the camera outside of the helmet, two also showing the seperate base.

:)For the other guys with a 350 and a left side mount helmet... what did you do about the lanc connection. It seems to be on the right side of the camera.

I was wondering, it's obvious from this post that there's a lanc connection on the 350. However when I look at the website from sony, I don't see the lanc connection metioned in the specs. http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DCRPC350&Dept=dcc_DICamcorders&CategoryName=dcc_DICamcorders_MiniDVHandycamCamcorders#specs The lanc is mentioned with other camcorders like the 109.

Question: is it standard on the camcorder and is it just an ommission in the specs on the Sony website or is it an extra option somehow?

J.

Hi!
A question to Dave and Rob and all the other guys who have the PC 350:
What lense(s) do you have to shot videos?
What additional batteries do you have?
What kind of memory stick - do you use it?
Additional chargers?

Anyone jumps the 350 with a Rawa helmet - if so which case do you use or have they finally one for the camera?

Thanks
M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

What lense(s) do you have to shot videos?
What additional batteries do you have?
What kind of memory stick - do you use it?
Additional chargers?

Lense: Right now I'm using a Crystal Vision .45 (cheap lense). With my last camera, I was shooting with the WayCool Blue Eye, which I loved, but I lost that with the camera. I plan on replacing that and maybe getting a WayCool .25 over the winter.

Memory Stick: I just picked up a generic 256 mb stick over the weekend, but you won't use it for skydiving. I just use the stick when i am using the camera for touristy stuff, and don't want to lug around two cameras. The stills are really good quality, but there is no way to trigger them while it is on your head.

Batteries: I only have the -50 battery that the camera came with. Because I am a weekend jumper, and am not using the camera constantly this more than suits my needs. I can easily do 20 jumps over two days without needing to recharge the battery. And because of this I don't need any additional chargers. However I did buy a DC/AC adapter so that I can charge the camera in my car if need be.

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

I always take pictures at the highest quality -I've learned that if you don't even once, that's the one that you are going to want blown up... Murphy's law and all that. The average picture size at 3mp (2016 * 1512) is about 1.2mb so on a formatted card you should be able to hold just under 200 pictures (and the card was around $80 at Best Buy -so probably $50 on ebay). Hope this helps.

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

I too purchased a Sony PC350 Camcorder. My question is this, is it really necessary to purchase a $400 helmet to fit this camera into, or would a camera condom and a "L" bracket suffice.

With all the little buttons and electronics, would the camera condem and "L" bracket expose the camera to harmful elements, such as a 120 mph wind, and just be too much of a hostile of an evironment?

I don't believe that it's necessary to purchase a particular helmet -like all things in skydiving, it is a matter of preference. I bought the 2kComposites helmet because I liked the simple design, and it was very comfortable on my funny shaped head. I also have had very good experiences with the company in the past.

A camera condom and L-bracket will work as good for the 350 as it does for any other Sony camera. I've known plenty of people that use this system without problems, but I like the idea of a fully enclosed box, and the snag-free design.

As a side note, there are actually less buttons exposed on the newer Sony cameras than there were on the older style PC's and TRV's.

Blue ones
Dave
My site...