bskyz

Sony PC-350

Happy Birthday to me! I just received my PC-350 in the mail to replace my lost and shattered PC-101.

First impressions from playing around with it last night: This camera is light! It really isn't comparable in size to the PC-330, I believe it is closer to the size of a 101. Also, it is actually lighter than my 101.

Sony has made a number of small improvements in the past couple of generations. One of them is the new battery... the same duration battery (I used 50's in my 101) is only about 1/4" high, and does not stick out past the LCD screen. At first I was disappointed that I would not be able to use my current batteries, but after seeing it on the camera, I'll be more than happy to buy one more. Also, Sony ships it out with a NP-FF51 which is an improvement over the 30 that came with the 101.

I'm not to keen on the docking station idea, but only time will tell how much of a pain it will be. The station itself is fairly small and very light, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to carry along on the weekends.

I'm still waiting on my new 2kComposites helmet, so I may not be able to jump it for a couple of weeks, but I'll be trying to put it into a couple of my friends dboxes this weekend and hopefully get a couple of jumps in with it.

Also, kudos to dbuys.com for another good buying experience... this is the third camera that I've purchased from them without a hitch (and two weeks before the actual release to boot!)

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

Unfortunately due to the lack of a camera helmet, the camera has only been jumped a couple of times. However, there is a noticeable quality difference in the video. I've done some ground footage as well, and the colors appear to be significantly sharper than on the PC101.

I'll have a lot more to add when my new helmet arrives (thank you 2kcomposites!), and I get some more jumps with the camera.

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

Other than the size and weight improvement over the 330, the biggest difference I see is the lense size. The 330 and it's predecesor the 120, both have a 37mm filter size (ie, lense size). All of the lower end PC style cameras, 101, 109 etc, have a 30mm filter size. Smaller lense means less light. The specs on the 350 match up with the 330, that is, 2MP video, 3MP still, etc. I would like to compare the two in low-light situations to see if the 350 can keep up with the larger lense on the 330.
I doubt we'll ever see a new PC model from Sony with a 37mm lense ever again. From their perspective, amateurs use small cameras (PC style) and amateurs won't know or appreciate the quality difference between a 30mm lense and a 37mm lense. The consumer that would appreciate the larger lense will buy a bigger, better camera anyway... As our skydiving niche is so small...
So, anyone have a 350 and 330 they can do a comparison with for me?
When the 330's make it to the Sony Outlet Center, I'm going to buy another one.
peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Yes, one of my reasons for getting the 350 was that I wasn't too keen on the 25mm lens found on the 109. My 101 was a 30mm, so the wide angle that I have still fits which is nice.

There is a guy at SNE actively jumping his 330, once I get myself back online, we'll do some jumps and I'll post both videos on my site for comparison. We were analyzing ground video and stills (off the video and straight stills onto the stick) the other day, and you can tell which came from which camera. Especially when using the "progressive scan" feature, the colors are much sharper from the 350 when pulling stills off of video.

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

Yeah, like she said it's all over the web... if you need measurements I'll get them next weekend (I left the camera up in Maine this week) but you should be able to get the measurements on sonystyle.com. There are very similar to the PC-101 (I managed to cram my camera into a 101 dbox)

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

Yup, I finally got all my gear back together (just in time for the end of the season). I'm still really happy with the camera. The video quality is excellent, and the docking station isn't as much of a pain in the arse as I had thought it would be. It's small enough to fit in my camera bag easily, and it actually looks better at home when I'm working with the video (as we all know, it's all about looking good!)

I also did a bunch of ground video of swooping and whatnot, and this camera is much easier to hold and use than my PC101.

All in all, I'd give it 8 out of 10 stars. It would be a 10 if it weren't for the higher than average price and the docking station...

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

Yup, I finally got all my gear back together (just in time for the end of the season). I'm still really happy with the camera. The video quality is excellent, and the docking station isn't as much of a pain in the arse as I had thought it would be. It's small enough to fit in my camera bag easily, and it actually looks better at home when I'm working with the video (as we all know, it's all about looking good!)

WHen you say you could tell the diff between the two video images of the 330 and 350, does that mean that one was superior to the other or just...different? Shocked to hear that the frozen vid images were greater on the 350. Have you tried printing any?
I also did a bunch of ground video of swooping and whatnot, and this camera is much easier to hold and use than my PC101.

All in all, I'd give it 8 out of 10 stars. It would be a 10 if it weren't for the higher than average price and the docking station...

So I am new to the game and hope I'll get some help from you.Moreover I bought the pc-350 two days ago. Yesterday I found out that I need a extra lens to put it on. As they told me at sony they only have 0.6mm for this camera. Problem is that some of my friends say that I should use 0.4 mm for skydiving with the camera. Can you please help me here? ThanxB|

hard tarining easy fight...easy training hard fight

I'd be wary jumping camera with your experience level.
However, for what its worth, the wide angle will depend on the type of filming you are doing, tell us what you intend to film (freefly/RW/Big wyas/Tandem etc), and how you intend to film it, (inside/outside, flightrecorder) and someone will recommend a wide angle lens.

Think about your jump numbers...seriously, if I were you I'd wait a while..
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the warning and I agree..I should be careful. Nevertheless I am not going to do anything to hard with it...I already do some formations so basically I will record whatrever I already do now...panorama,my friends jumping with me and stuff..however I don't mean to burden myself with the camera and will still pay the attention to my jump.

RW then.
Are you filming from inside the formation basically recording your own jump from your perspective.
If so, you probably want something along the lines of a .3. Try Royal lens, http://www.royal-lens.com/ or waycool http://www.waycool.com.au/

I would not recommend you do this filming though, chaos does not respect your intent (not doing anything too hard) but it will exploit your vulnerabilities (lack of experience), I really can't stress this strongly enough.
Safety lecture over.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

You were right basically I will record my own jump from my own perspective. So I would like to understand what could go wrong...because as I understand...I keep focus on my flying and camera on my had works by it self..I forget about it whille I fly. By the way..I respect your safety lecture!Thanks

"So I would like to understand what could go wrong..."
Well, you've come to right place for discussing this very subject.
here's a few reasons for starters....
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_7&search_string=jump+numbers&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=25

This has been discussed many times here before, the search facility can be set to look only at the camera forum, if you run searches with phrases like
"Jump numbers" (did this for the 4 pages of links you got at the link above)
"Beginner"
"Newbie"
"experience required"
You'll find loads of great advice, and stuff to think about.
Ultimately, we can't stop you jumping camera, many people will refuse to advise you at only 50 jumps, they will simply say don't do it, and they are right. Giving advice to someone with your jump numbers about flying camera is very difficult, and it gives us a moral dilemma.
My take is, you are going to do it regardless, so you might as well be well informed.:)
--------------------

Nac,
When did you start jumping camera......and how did you go about it and get on initially....

I have just got my own setup up organised......( FF2+ cutaway and a PC109) and am nearly ready to start.
I have done alot of research on here as well as at the DZ.......rather than start' blind' after hitting the magical BPA 200jumps target...

But still interested to hear your experience.

Care to share ?

Started at about 200 jumps, with a borrowed Leo Dickinson Helmet, an 8 mm analogue vid cam (Hi8 had just taken off) and an OM10 for stills, home made bite switch, home made 'D-box', home made 'cameye', and home reconstructed cutaway, oh and the helmet lining needed replacing as well.

Was crap then, had some real hairy close calls I'd rather not talk about, and if I knew then what I know now, I would not have put a camera on till I had 500 at least. But I was keen and they were short of tandem camerapeople, and I thought I was a better flier than I really was, sound familiar?.

At about 450 I femured in after a long day filming tandems on back to backs, and I got to spend a couple of years thinking about the future while my body healed.
Since then I have not filmed a tandem seriously, and have basically given up flying stills and focussed more on video and my editing.
I'm probably a better editor than a camera flier these days (not difficult really!), and I'm now really uncurrent, so will probably revert to just fun flying for the foreseeable, I probably won't put a camera on till next summer.

The best advice I can give to any newbie is to apprentice themselves to an experienced camera flier, buy them loads of beer, and suck as much knowledge out them whilst they are drunk. Stay off the tandem rotation to begin with (it will be tempting when they ask you to fill in but try and resist), focus on your own flying skills in your chosen discipline, don't try and film stuff if you can't fly your slot without a cam. A camera briefing is almost assumed. You can maintain enthusiasm over winter by teaching yourself how to edit properly, fast and efficiently, this is always a popular skill, one that got me a gig on Brit100 and WT99, although its much more common these days, it was pretty new back then. Watch as much video as you get your hands on, good as well as bad, try and work out what the cam flier was doing to get particular shots, which shots work which don't etc. If you're filming 4way, pay attention to the dirt dive, anticipate, be ready to go high or drop lower as formations change shape and fall rate.

You are going about it the right way Zote, get a good snag repellent hat, with no stills to distract you, and make friends at the DZ. There's some good people at Hibble, don't be shy to ask, also don't be shy about visiting other DZs in the area, Langar and Sibson also have a fine tradition of producing good cam fliers as well, and its fun to jump around.

Thats about all I can think of right now, gotta go and get the bairn ready for supper, PM if you need any more specifics.
--------------------