freefalle

camera exit from a cessena?

Personally I like all the way out on the step looking back to the left. Give the TM a clean exit and I just lead a bit and get the shot of the plane going away. Simple and straight forward.

I do know some people that like to hang back from the door frame along the side of the plane.... Different strokes I guess. I have tried it but think my being all the way out is a sure fire method and does not hinder the TM...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

*** I do know some people that like to hang back from the door frame along the side of the plane.... Different strokes I guess. I have tried it but think my being all the way out is a sure fire method and does not hinder the TM...

As a TI I'm not a big fan of this exit for my video guys. I do diving exits from the door with my student's feet out on the step, I use their feet to pivot out of the airplane. If they're feet aren't on the step or are really weak on the step, I have to launch really hard to clear the step (it hurts to slap your knee on it, trust me). If I end up launching really hard, I would run over a video guy if he left from the door frame.

Other then that, I've seen more then one video where the video guy has fallen off the plane in that position. Hell, I've fallen off the plane trying to get in that spot as well, its a hard spot to do.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I go all the way out on the strut and put one foot on the outside of the step to allow me to angle my upper body and head towards the door. By being on the outside edge of the step I’m not competing with the tandem for foot space. If the student kicks my foot off the step I’m holding onto the strut so I just hang like a static-line student still looking into the plane at the tandem. Easy to do and gives you a great exit. I’ve tried hanging from other positions however they all give to high a chance of falling off or being bumped off by the tandem.

As a TI I'm not a big fan of this exit for my video guys. I do diving exits from the door with my student's feet out on the step, I use their feet to pivot out of the airplane. If they're feet aren't on the step or are really weak on the step, I have to launch really hard to clear the step (it hurts to slap your knee on it, trust me). If I end up launching really hard, I would run over a video guy if he left from the door frame.

I forgot to add I am also a TI and I prefer the guy out on the step for many of the same reasons that Dave notes. I can see him better that way and I can dive at him for a better video shot of the passnger from there as well...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Rear float on the door.

Right foot on the wheel strut, both hands griping the aft door frame one high one low, body snug against the plane, left foot trailing. Point your camera at the pair's faces, but watch their chests, leave when they do.

Don't like the way out strut hang, it's uncomfortable.

Do like the under the step wheel wheel strut hang.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I don't know if your regs allow it but many Cessnas over here have a wee grip duct taped onto the top of the fuselage to assist the rear float slot. A whole load of our Cessnas don't have a step.:S
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

A whole load of our Cessnas don't have a step.

Yeah, that's why I like the rear float best. The DZ I did almost all of my 182 jumps had a huge step (like 24" by 10") but I've done a couple few out of 182's with that little foot print that they come with stock.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I get all the way out on the step, right arm and right foot over the strut, left foot on the step, left hand trying to get the tandem students attention and give the camera a smile, by way of a thumbs up or a peace sign before we exit.
Leave just before the pair on my back w/ head into the relative wind. The allows me to easily match their speed if they have a long delay before drogue toss as I can then easily transition into headdown if necessary to stay w/ then w/o them getting out of frame.
This makes for an awesome, unique perspective of them coming out the plane.
Great fun....

I hang but keep my left foot on the edge of the step mainly for stablity but also to be able to assist a passenger in a sitting position (read: bad knees) from keeping their left leg from dangling in front of the wheel and step. If their leg is in danger of dragging across the step I'll assist them (with my right foot) in placing their left foot on their right foot on the step. And ya do the hokey pokey and ya turn yourself around:D

Huh?!? What cloud?!? Oh that!!! That's just Industrial Haze
Alex M.

If the tandem is climbing out on the step and faces forward, I like to climb out so that I am hanging underneath the strut. I put my feet on the wheel or the step (frontside of it), and I am basically back to earth. You can get really good face shots of them leaving this way, and it is easy to stay in a sit the whole time.

Try it, it is fun.
jeff D-16906

I can't think of any situation where I would intentionally touch a student during setup and launch.

When we get the turbine back and I gain more experiance - I'll do the student "dock-n-spin", but that's still a while off.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

A 182, 206 and a 207 may be similar, if the 206/207 doesn't have a cargo door. Generally speaking, when someone mentions a cessna I think of a 182 or a 206, since most folks don't call a Caravan a 208 in the skydiving world.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

A 182, 206 and a 207 may be similar, if the 206/207 doesn't have a cargo door. Generally speaking, when someone mentions a cessna I think of a 182 or a 206, since most folks don't call a Caravan a 208 in the skydiving world.:)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cessna 170, 172, 175, 180, 182, 185, 190, 195, 205, P206, 207 and 210 all have co-pilot doors.

U206 only have cargo doors on the right side.
Standard strut-step exits work great from most Cessnas, however, you will have to learn to rear float if you want to do camera out of a U206. The low cargo door requires extra muscles and skills. Extra steps and handles ease rear-floating, but the FAA frowns on them (i.e. anything that changes the aerodynamic profile of the airplane).

I have only seen a few cameramen climb forward of the cargo door to front-float U206. Front-floating requires extra steps and handles that are rarely installed on U206.

With Cessna 208 Caravan, most cameramen do the standard rear-float exit.