JeffD

Low # Belly Mount

I know the consensus on jumping a camera should wait for 200 jumps but am curious on what the opinion is of having just some small digital camcorder attatched to the chestrap, turned on and then forgotten about during the dive.

The only thing I can see it being a problem is during a cutaway, but if you could secure it in the center of the Cheast strap or even mount it on a legstrap, attatched to a boot, leg.

Thanks.

I'd say the it doesn't matter where the camera is, it's still something you might have to deal with in an emergency. What if you do have a mal, and you're grabbing camera rather than handles.

The belly-mount I wear (BH's) is below the handles for that reason.

I have a camera jump or two and lemme tell ya that 99% of the belly mounts I've ever seen, including some well known commercial ones, are some of the scariest things I've ever seen.

I have seen exactly 1 belly mount I'd consider jumping and it was hand built by billvon.

Consider what you do -very- carefully.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

have a camera jump or two and lemme tell ya that 99% of the belly mounts I've ever seen, including some well known commercial ones, are some of the scariest things I've ever seen.

I have seen exactly 1 belly mount I'd consider jumping and it was hand built by billvon.

Yeah, but you're a sissy.:P;)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'd say the it doesn't matter where the camera is, it's still something you might have to deal with in an emergency.

You know, I had nearly 1000 jumps before I put a camera on my head. Even though it was a side mount and it was something that I had just for my own entertainment (read: not shooting "real" video), even though it was a "turn on and forget it" device in my mind...it still was a lot of hassel and I was very glad I waited until I did to put it on my head.

Kinda scary thinking about the possibility I could have put one on my head at 200 jumps. Definately glad I didn't.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Quade, I've often thought I'd like to jump a belly mount with my wingsuit. Do you mind telling us what what wrong with the ones you didn't like and what was right with the one you liked?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Here's a picture of mine. The handles are easy to get to despite the mount. I'm still not saying it's for a guy with low jump numbers.

Dave

Most of them seem to have handles and all sorts of things sticking out. I also don't see a lot of them with cutaway handles in case you need to get rid of it in a hurry. Add all of that to -when- I see most people wanting to where them (large formations where incidental contact on exit is common) and they just seem like not that great of an idea.

The one billvon built didn't stick out any further than the height of the camera from the belly plate and had a snag deflector. I don't recall if his had a cutaway, but it looked like it was less likely to need one to begin with.

The other issue is having a belly plate if your landings aren't exactly up to snuff. Certainly low timers can't say with any certainty they're not going to biff in and if they land on their belly with a bunch of crap attached I think it raises the possibility of internal injuries -quite- a bit.

Of course, this is all just -my- opinion.
quade -

Quade i made one myself..it were made by a aluminium plate 3mm thik shaped like my belly rughly then foamed inside.it only stich out the same as the cam does.You will need a .42 atleast through...
i dont have any cutaway on mine through..
will post pics as i get home were it is at the time.Its really simple.

besides i really only use it on BASE,i only tryed it out on skydive once to test it,its hard work climbing whith such an mount throughB|:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Bill's is very nice, but doesn't have the option of adjusting the shooting angle very much. Also by getting the camera away from the body a bit more it gives more options for the right "view". As for using them on bigways, well that's where you need to pick your slots right and be able to fly.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Kinda scary thinking about the possibility I could have put one on my head at 200 jumps. Definately glad I didn't.

Please forgive me i know this isn't the place for this:

Yeah Dave, you could have put a pumpkin on your head instead.:P:D:D

Ok, that said, I find myself flying to get a shot or video in frame and not even thinking about what i am doing to put myself where i need to be. I KNOW i couldn't have done that at around 100 or even 300 jumps. Just my $.02:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Bellymounts should be worn under your harness, which makes a cutaway system *very* complex. You would have to cutaway all four points of contact with the main belly plate, or cutaway the swivel mechanism itself.

I also don't see a lot of them with cutaway handles in case you need to get rid of it in a hurry.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

You would have to cutaway all four points of contact with the main belly plate . . .

So? I'm pretty sure you could do it by pulling one handle. Just because it makes it a -little- more difficult to make, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

We used to think cutaway handles on camera helmets were silly too.
quade -

Easier said than done, Quade. If *you* have any cutaway designs you'd like to offer to the parachuting world in order to make things safer for everyone, by all means, please post them here.

Personally, I'm happy with a hook knife when I jump my line of bellymounts. That's not to say I haven't spent many hours trying to incorporate a cutaway system into my designs. It really depends on what type of jumps you're doing. If you're making a solo BASE jump or doing a 2-way skydive with a buddy, then no worries. If you're doing head-down or 100-ways, then maybe you should consider the increased risk.

Did camera flyers really think helmet cutaway systems were "silly" in the past? I doubt it. Times change, technology changes, and demand for a specific product or feature changes. I'm sure bellymount cutaway systems will be implemented in the future, but for now, the demand is not there yet.

So? I'm pretty sure you could do it by pulling one handle. Just because it makes it a -little- more difficult to make, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only