jont

Anyone been hit by a hook knife or other debris in freefall?

Was filming an 8-way last weekend that went into a funnel. Just as they were starting to regroup, I saw something red flash by me. Turns out one of the team lost his hook knife.

Looking at the video in stop-frame later, you can see it appear near his armpit, and pass fairly close to two others coming down to him (he was low man on the funnel at the time) before passing about 15/20 foot away from me and out of the top of the frame. Good thing I wasn't steeper on the formation at the time!

Started me thinking. How much would that have hurt or done damage if it had hit me or one of the others? Particularly if it had hit me in the face - while the rest of the team were all wearing full-face, I was of course in open-face camera helmet.

Anyone any experience of this, or any other debris hitting them?

jont

p.s. sorry for cross-post, but I posted this in general forum before realising it would be better here

a few years ago I got "Teva-ed"...

6-way at Eloy and one of the jumpers shoes flew off and smacked me in the huevos.

Had an assortment of snot-blast and blood a couple times as well as a sneaky pilot chute or two...

do those count?

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

Local camera flyer has a video of a pro 4-way team turning some very fast points. Half way though the dive you see a flash of silver fly at the camera man which is one of the jumpers alti's.

The cameraman doesn't move an inch and continues to film the 4-way.

At break off the team turn and track and you see the cameraman reach under his left arm and bring out the alti caught in his wing, proudly show it to the camera and give a thumbs up before dumping.

That's professionalism.

Interesting thread - should be some good anecdotes out there. I have had a couple of near misses over the last few weeks; I had a near miss with a knife when filming 4-way and had a wide angle lens off a side mount go past me while filming WARP. People keep telling me I need to get stepper - hmmm, well maybe!

Use your wings Johnny....

Henny caught some stuff during world team 99.
pic is big so here's the link.
http://www.theworldteam.com/WT04Images/ubonpic/14-0010.jpg

Everybody should also check out the cam damage from exits here and be aware....
http://www.theworldteam.com/WT04Images/ubonpic/11-0006.jpg
http://www.theworldteam.com/WT04Images/ubonpic/11-0007.jpg
http://www.theworldteam.com/WT04Images/ubonpic/10-0005.jpg
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I had a hook knife go by from a 4-way and also had a tandem instructor lose his bonehead mindwarp right after exit. (the strap didn't get fastened good)
Made for a funny vid with him looking up after it when it came off. And we did find it on the DZ but his Pro Track came out and we didn't find that.

Gotta keep an eye out for that stuff!

Later,
Jason

a team mates fart outside the plane....no shitter.

OK.. I'd miraculously forgotten about that happening to me just last weekend. In freefall no less! :o This teammate for the day had farted while in the plane (we were thankfully seated by the door)...so when it happened in freefall I recognized the scent! Amazing!

And yes, this was a skygod. You know that the more experienced the skydiver the more pungent their farts, right?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Not directly related but when I just came off student staus I pulled the ripcord and watched something small and black pass up past the big old manta I deployed. Turns out it was my wallet. Didn't share that story with anyone until a few hundred jumps later.

i had a shoe hit me in the head once on exit. 2nd inside the door on a king air, freefly exit, into the wind and smack... what the hell was that? i asked my self in time to see my buddy bare footed on one side. the funny thing was someone else saw it go by under canopy, it landed about 20 feet away from the peas...now thats a good spot.

My team and I were competeing at our 2000 Australian nationals. We went up on our official practice jump pryor to the competition.
Anyway we were about 3/4's of the way through working time when during the middle of a block my alti flys off.
We just kept on going as we wanted to post a good practice round score. I land and our camera guy Simon comes over as says hey Cookie did you lose something, I reply yeah dude my altimeter. He reaches into his jump suit and pulls out my alti.

Watching his footage you can see the alti come off and go whistling past him. He say's it basically fell into his hand. As we track off on the video he holds the alti up to the camera, very cool.

Cookie