stuartjl

Sony Mini DVD

I have recently purchased a new Sony mini DVD camera and am having difficulty getting it to work in freefall. The camera operates perfectly well when shaken violently but simply turns itself off when offered into any kind of wind flow.

Can anyone offer an expanation as to why this is?

The picture quality generally is as good as any mini DV tape but just doesn't work in freefall!!!!!!!

Thanks

Much like the IBM Think Pad that has the so called "Air Bag" that helps the laptop "brace for impact" when it's dropped, the mini-dvd cameras have the same built in electronic protection. When you jump out of a plane it immediately senses that it's being dropped it shuts off and it "braces for impact"

P.S - This entire post was pure bullshit - the Think Pad commercial was on the tube when I was reading your postB|

I have actually seen a few people try jumping with those and they've both had the same problems. You might want to try to tape or muffle the microphone and see if that helps- It has to record all of that sound at the same time - perhaps it's all of the wind noise that's overwhelming the camera - Just a thought -

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

My -guess- at the problem is the amount of (or inadequate size of) the buffer that allows the DVD recorder to operate during vibrations and shocks. A camera in freefall has to be able to deal with an amazing amount of vibration.

I would think that a skydive just overwhelms this -- but again this is just a guess. Maybe it is the wind.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I had the same problem 2 years ago. I couldnt figure out what it was due to the inability to get it to shut off on the ground, only in the air exposed to the wind.

turns out one of the tape door latches was bent ever so slightly and wouldnt shut tight. I took a needle nose and bent the latch back into the right position.... problem solved.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

My -guess- at the problem is the amount of (or inadequate size of) the buffer that allows the DVD recorder to operate during vibrations and shocks. A camera in freefall has to be able to deal with an amazing amount of vibration.

I would think that a skydive just overwhelms this -- but again this is just a guess. Maybe it is the wind.

The vibrations are the obvious answer but the camera has peformed well in very violent conditions over and above that which a skydive will create.

I will be speaking to Sony and will report back....

The vibrations are the obvious answer but the camera has peformed well in very violent conditions over and above that which a skydive will create.

Like you've strapped it onto a rollercoaster and it still worked? ;)

I don't even know who you'd try to contact at Sony that could give you an informed opinion. Their design guys are pretty much all based in Japan and Sony USA rarely talks to them about anything other than sales. Sony Service will fix a problem, but only to factory specs. The upshot is I doubt anyone you could contact would even know a problem such as this exists and in their eyes, it's probably not even a problem since it's not exactly what the camera was designed for. ;)

Maybe things are different over at Sony UK.

If you do manage to get hold of someone knowledgeable, yes, please, tell us what you find out.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Sorry this comment is late, just joined dropzone.com today!

Every cameraman at our dropzone, in fact almost every cameraman I know, uses a Sony Mini-DV camera (PC105e's are the most popular) and no-one has ever had a problem like the one you are describing.;)

i've now visited a Sony Centre and they have basically told me that it won't ever work in any type of air flow due to vibration!!!!!!!!!!

SO DON'T BUY ONE!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And if you have already bought one, wrap a mile of gaffer's tape around it then stuff it inside a condom or d-box.

Better yet, wait a couple more years until SONY works all the bugs out of their mini-DVD technology.