hoym

Critique this photo, did the flash help?

Last Saturday I jumped with the 550EX flash for the very first time. The sun was straight overhead and I was worried about too much shadow on the vector tandem.

So, I attached the flash for the first time since I rigged it up last winter.

What I'm wondering is, did the flash have any possitive affect?

I'm not sure is it worth the extra weight. I think it helped a little to soften the shadow of the straight overhead sun.

What do you think?

Nothing wrong with using a flash during the day. I've found that a flash could help with the backlight when used in close proximity.

The picture looks great - and I think it's worth the case of :D since you've used the 'F' word twice:P
My other ride is the relative wind.

I don't think the flash helped you out much in that situation - you're a little too far away for the flash to have much effect. In this instance, you're using the flash for more of a "fill flash" application. If you try getting a little closer and steeper, or underneath the tandem, you'll be more opposite the sun and you'll notice a much bigger effect from the flash. I've attached a couple of examples so you can see what I mean.

Otherwise it's a pretty nice tandem pic :)
Peace,
Z

Yeah, it helped a lot. The sun looks to be directly overhead and you'd have lost most of the "pop" of the american flag on the guys chest.

Monkey? You are just showing off! :P. Very nice, very deep positioning there. You in a sit?

I didn't mean that it didn't help at all, cuz it did lighten the shadows a little. I just think that if he moved in a little closer the flash would have been much more effective.

And nope - not in a sit. Granted, I'm arched like a cheeze doodle, but I ain't sittin:P

Peace,
Z

Since you are using EOS gear, try using Tv or Av mode (your choice) with a little negative exposure compensation to underexpose the background a bit, then let E-TTL expose the subject correctly with the flash.

I think the flash helped, but it would have been great if you had taken another shot right after this one (before the flash recharged) so we could see the difference.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I don't think the flash helped you out much in that situation - you're a little too far away for the flash to have much effect. In this instance, you're using the flash for more of a "fill flash" application. If you try getting a little closer and steeper, or underneath the tandem, you'll be more opposite the sun and you'll notice a much bigger effect from the flash.

Ditto

http://www.curtisglennphotography.com