Bolt

Airport xray and digital?

Extremely unlikely that an airport x-ray machine will have any effects on a memory chip. As a precaution against other losses though, it's probably not a bad idea to burn CDs of images as backups before travelling and carry (or mail) those separately.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Anyone ever heard of a problem with taking a compact flash card or an external hard drive through the xray machines at the airport? Will it effect anything? Thanks

Bolt,

It's no problem, I've never checked them though, always in carry-on. I've travelled a lot with my digital camera and this has never been a problem, just like bringing your laptop on the airplane isn't a problem.

Going through the x-ray machine doesn't damage it.
Although, like Quade said, making a backup never hurts :P

Iwan

"Anyone ever heard of a problem with taking a compact flash card or an external hard drive through the xray machines at the airport?"

Not in my experience.
I v'e hauled compact flash, SD media sticks (sony), portable hard drives, mini DV and analogue tapes, and key fob USB storage through x-ray machines without any hassles.

If its critical, then burn the data to a back up medium prior to travel.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Unless the xray machine is now an MRI machine as well, or is in some other bizarre way generating a strong magnetic field, there is no reason to think that any form of digital media would be affected at all.

Camera film can be ruined because, by its very nature, it is sensitive to exposure to light (that's how it works), and xrays are part of the light spectrum.

That's today's science lesson for skydivers. Stay tuned next week... ;)

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Actually, magnetic media (floppy discs, video tapes) have been damaged by, not the x-rays, but rather the electrical fields generated by the motors of the conveyor belts inside the machines.

While it is unlikely to happen, there is always the possibility of it happening. I seriously doubt you'll have many problems with digital tapes, but in the old days of analog it was a real concern.

As always, back ups are still a good idea.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver