Marksman

Low pull vs no spotting...humm

Close call on this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiGdqPfztsc&feature=g-vrec&context=G23bb5bcRVAAAAAAAAAQ

humm...Owner comments about bad spotting, what do you guys think?? :o

I'm glad nobody got hurt, I also think is great he decided to post the video to help others avoid mistakes.

(i hope this is not a repost)
blues.
;)

>Owner comments about bad spotting...humm...what do you think?

I think he spotted them over a mountain. Pulling at 4000 feet AGL isn't a good idea when you find yourself over a mountain that's 6000 higher than the DZ.

I have made that mistake ... and am not proud of it.
My alibi included a boogie ... in Austria ... someone else spotting ... the Pink Skyvan ...

Bottom line, I opened less than 1,000 feet (300 meters) above a hill ... that was a kilometer off to the side of the airport.

For anyone considering clicking through, that's the well known video from the Alps with the bad spot, with the cameraman not being in the main valley, but opening below mountain peak level, on the far side of the mountain wall, landing not many seconds later.

I'll let someone else find the existing threads...

... think about it as it is www.mountaingravity.ch .:. Swoop the Mountain .:.

Just dumb asses! The location is in the swiss alps ;-) Just have to say: "You have to know what you do! Don't swich your brain off when you're in a mountain area."
Plan your Jump and Jump your Plan! Look out before jumping! The light don't tell you to jump! It tells you it might be the time - It's your decision! Look out an decide...

Nice info from the Jottis http://youtu.be/YD2aICOI8Uo Great boogie! Great People! Great Time! ;-)

There's a comment buried in the video thread that the pilot was told to drop them over the mountains for mountain swooping. So not bad spotting but bad jumping. Nobody looked down out the door to see where they were.:S

I took my rig on a business trip to Kundl Austria and made a couple of jumps at skydive Tyrol in the Inn Valley. Coming from the midwest and RARELY ever jumping somewhere there were even hills I was a little spooked. I asked about spotting with the valley so narrow, about a mile, and they said jump run was ALWAYS up the valley. Even though I was very experienced looking down and seeing an autobahn, a river, high tension powerlines, and another highway in that narrow valley was interesting. Also watching the surrounding mountains wrap up around you before you open was fun.B| We just don't get to do that in Michigan. When things wrap up around us it's trees and it's not a good day.:S (Been there)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Additional thought: All the other folks on that video tracked away and opened their canopies - this hero just backflies to shoot their opening. So back to the "jumping with small format cameras" thread. :S>:(

I jumped several times at a small (temporary) DZ where they had a 300m hill left to it. Even that was a little intimidating so everyone new there was told to spot and to look at where you are in freefall and to open in "due altitude"
But heck, c00lness can't be beaten. >:(

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I've seen this video many times. No matter how many times I watch it it makes my heart race a little.

Ditto here. Watching the ground-shadow of your own canopy deploying (@ 1:04) is rather, uh, breathtaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyZdQ4nyceA&feature=related

Same dive different guy.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

... I have to correct myself! after airtwardos post I had reviewed the first video. It is both the Mountain run side :P ... the monutain rack railway on the otherside of the mountain in the first vid at 1:04 is in the second vid at 0:03 :$
In airtwardos vid you also can see a canopy in the mountain run at 0:15 on the bottom right corner.
That one was sure not a "freefall" jumprun >:( and they had to clear an pull or wait for the second run for the freefallers over the valley >:(

There was an earlier thread on this subject.
The earlier thread said that a previous load - of wing suiters - had asked the pilot to allow them to exit a long way from the airport, which put their exit spot over high terrain.
No-one bothered to tell the pilot that the second load wanted the regular exit spot over the valley.

There was an earlier thread on this subject.
The earlier thread said that a previous load - of wing suiters - had asked the pilot to allow them to exit a long way from the airport, which put their exit spot over high terrain.
No-one bothered to tell the pilot that the second load wanted the regular exit spot over the valley.

AND...nobody on the 'stick' bothered to look down. :|

>AND...nobody on the 'stick' bothered to look down.

Reminds me of a wingsuit jump I made in Rantoul years ago. I was one of about 15 wingsuiters on a CASA sunset load. It got cloudy so I didn't get out. I ended up being the only one not getting out over a solid cloud deck.

It was funny - I was looking out those tiny windows in the CASA, trying to see down, telling the people I was jumping with "hey I'm not gonna get out if it's solid and it looks pretty cloudy." They just sort of nodded. Then the green light came on and they all exited without looking down. I took one look off the edge of the tailgate, thought "wow, it's overcast AND it's getting dark" and landed with the plane. As we were descending we went through about 2000 feet of cloud. Once we got clear at around 1000 feet it was really dark. The sun had set 10 minutes ago and the clouds made it that much darker.

I would NOT have wanted to land out in the dark after a jump like that.

>AND...nobody on the 'stick' bothered to look down.

Reminds me of a wingsuit jump I made in Rantoul years ago. I was one of about 15 wingsuiters on a CASA sunset load. It got cloudy so I didn't get out. I ended up being the only one not getting out over a solid cloud deck.

It was funny - I was looking out those tiny windows in the CASA, trying to see down, telling the people I was jumping with "hey I'm not gonna get out if it's solid and it looks pretty cloudy." They just sort of nodded. Then the green light came on and they all exited without looking down. I took one look off the edge of the tailgate, thought "wow, it's overcast AND it's getting dark" and landed with the plane. As we were descending we went through about 2000 feet of cloud. Once we got clear at around 1000 feet it was really dark. The sun had set 10 minutes ago and the clouds made it that much darker.

I would NOT have wanted to land out in the dark after a jump like that.

I did a demo out of a CASA a couple of years ago...

I was toward the back of a 12 man stick. Looking out the window while the spotter was giving corrections I kept sayin' ~

Ya SURE we're there....don't LOOK right! :)

We were doing 3 'groups' of 4 jumpers and the 1st two groups of lemmings went...the 2nd group just followed the 1st and exited 5 seconds after them.

MY group stood on the gate 2 and half minutes before exiting over the target...:|

"Have a nice walk fellas?" :ph34r: