damion75

Sony PC109 update

I know that there is an old PC109 thread, but it seems to have pretty much died! I ended up with one on an insurance job from my stolen PC105 and I was really not sure about it until it arrived and turned out to have the LANC port and the A/V port on the camera body which people were worried about.

However, they ARE on the wrong side (helmet side) of the camera! I reckon that several people must be jumping 109s by now... so how are they and how have you overcome that problem?

Cheers!

Frank.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I hope its all good! It sure is tiny even compared to the PC105 I had for all of 3 weeks before it got stolen!!>:(

The posts above pretty much confirm what I had found out on the net although I was hoping that Waycool were doing the blue lens with a 25mm...:P

As it is I shall probably go with Max at Royal Lens since the stealth 0.5 I got from him to go on the 105 was soooooo sweet (appearance and results). If it ain't broke...;)

But in this post I was more worried about finding small enough d-boxes and those right hand side mounted LANC and A/V ports...

Any news anyone?:)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

If -any- manufacturer wants to provide specs for their equipment without any hype -- I think we'd all appreciate it.

Let's just keep it to raw data and stay away from sales pitches.

The single-line links back to your sales web sites such as both of you have done are technically pushing the rules, but I think it just saves time in these instances. I would NOT push it any further. ;)

Links to your private web sites are always allowed.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well im about to buy one so I hope its all good.

Why not just mount the camera on the left side of the helmet to fix the problem on the ports being on the wrong side???

Or even mount it on its side on top of the helmet...

am I missing something here?

Just for everyones info...

Bonehead said that it should have a PC109 specific box out in 2-3 weeks.

Also royal-lens stated they should have a 25mm lens availible in 2-3 weeks as well....however thats what Mikki said on may 31st (see post above)...so who knows.

I think im just going to get the cookie composites lens and wait for boneheads box...hopefully it really is only 2-3 weeks out.

Hey grant

a few Quick Q

Was in verdon jumping with a french mate that ordered one of your classic gloves but you sent him the wrong one you sent him the vertical one will send you his email so you can fix that but he also had one of your lens on and why doesnt it com with a plastic cover like most .42 .5 lenses come with so when you slam your rig into your stass bag with helmet iyou can put it on so it wont get scratched

bsbd feral
Ingect smack into your eyeballs

sony is great...fixed my water damaged camera in 3 days! i did not go for the PC109 due to the fact that the fire wire connection in on the base, not the camera. i was told to do video trasfers to another camera in the field, you would have to have the base unit there, plugged in to power. too much of a pain in the ass for me.

Hey Feral,

Long time no see!
The answer to your question is that my company is producing these lenses for a relatively small market and in small numbers in comparison to your Kenko etc. The tooling cost to actually make a cap like that is huge for small numbers. I have been looking for some existing thing that would do the job but no luck so far. I have developed UV filters that will do the protection job whilst in use and they can be left on. http://waycool.com.au/html/products/uv-filters.htm This is the best solution I have for now and I will consider the tooling cost for the caps as my budget permits. I've been investing in new designs rather than caps for the moment. Haven't heard from your French mate so I guess he's happy with the Pro. I'll PM you and catch up.

Stay Cool
http://www.waycool.com.au

Who here in the USA has 25mm to 30mm step rings in stock? I have a point three that fit a 105 that I want to use on my new 109, but simply can't find a step ring locally.

PM me back with a solution if you have one. I don't want to wait three weeks for a ring, nor do I want to have to buy another lens.

Chuck

Alright! I just got back from simply driving around and checking Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. I found exactly what I needed, in stock, at Best Buy for sixteen dollars. It was technically a UV filter with a 25 to 30mm adapter, but nonetheless perfect.

Total investment for my brand-new in the box PC 109 plus the diamond .3 lens I already had, plus the adapter ring: $465........NOICE! I jumped the camera all last weekend during the wingsuit bigways, but since I was flying up front and I didn't have any sort of wide angle lens you can't really see shit except Scott Bland's left wing once I am in formation.

Peace, my negros.

chuckie

Chuck... you ever look into hooking one of those bullet cams up and running it to your hand on Birdman jumps? I've got this idea to sew a loop on the back of a glove to hold a bullet cam (and leave my hands free) and toss the camera down the front of my suit and hit record before I exit. Think it would work?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well i was looking for that solution too but ended up inventing one on my own.

good thing is that i have some practice with making stuff out of carbon fibres with the previous "version" of my camera helmet.
Actually as i write this i'm redesigning my bonehead optic. I'm adding custom made d-box with carbon fibers for my pc-109 that will be permanently attached to the helmet, somewhat like skysystems sidewinder only waaay smaller, lighter, tougher, more secure and really snag free!

to answer your question: i too had to take off the camera to view/tape video on the TV/vcr. i thought that i could add audio/video connector adapter to the helmet. so prior to mounting the camera to the helmet i'll just plug it in the A/V plug, just as cameye in the lanc port and the screw the camera to the helmet. the other end of adapter (female part) would be accessible on the outer side of Dbox, so i won't even have to open the dbox to get the video of the camera.

but i have this little problem, there is nowhere to get the female part of A/V adapter (the same that's on the camera). some retailers even said it exists only on sony cameras. so instead of one A/V exit (the one i can't get) i'll make 2 audio stereo exits, and connect the cables so one will send video with mono audio, and the other stereo audio signals. redesign the cable that i got with my camera a little (two 3.5mm stereo plugs instead of one A/V plug) and that's it.you can also plut the normal a/v cable in one of the exits and you'll get video with mono sound. Like it's any difference in mono or stereo in freefall :S:D

That's the best solution my imagination could come up with, if anyone knows of any better, speak...
:)
"George just lucky i guess!"

Chuck... you ever look into hooking one of those bullet cams up and running it to your hand on Birdman jumps? I've got this idea to sew a loop on the back of a glove to hold a bullet cam (and leave my hands free) and toss the camera down the front of my suit and hit record before I exit. Think it would work?

There was a guy at Eloy last year during the Holiday Boogie that was doing that. I would not want to technically "mount" the actual cam, but hold it in my left hand so that I could point it wherever I please. I talked to Norman Kent about it at Rantoul this year and he thought it was a slick idea.

I thought about mounting it on like the tip of my index finger so that I could just point my finger and aim it. Leaves my hands free for grabing the Wing tips if I need to pop for a second or something. Maybe even rubber banding it there. (Ghetto fixes all the way for me :D)

Off to look for a bullet cam... :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com