jimmytavino

Good idea ?? bad idea??

the last few years, we have been working hard to increase the number of tandem students who "sign up for a jump" with us....
we spend a lot of cash on ads, ( print, radio, billboards etc. )..... and while the volume is near capacity on good days,,, we still feel like we need to generate either more first timers, or get better "return rate" from those who DO make a T 1..

.... It occured to me that by giving a student the opportunity to have their Very first ( and likely ONLY skydive EVER) videotaped....... that we lose the chance to have them return to make more tandems.....
So.......
I thought that it might be sensible NOT to offer video.... on T 1's... The idea would be to give the student the first jump experience, but as an "instructional" skydive only...... emphasizing technique, safety considerations, awareness in the plane the air and under canopy,,,, and thereby elevating that first jump to a point beyond,,,"just being the star of a video".........Then after the jump be sure that the student sees a first rate tandem video of someone Else, so that they realize what the video is like......
I feel that this approach would result in a Huge increase in the numbers of those who RETURN to make a T2...and On that T2 we certainly happily offer the video....
Now ( from the business point of view) we have doubled the number of jumps that this person makes......and that equates to higher revenue....
Yes yes YES!!!!!! i know that when First timers get a video they will (may) show it to friends and we get NEW students, that way.... BUT they will still show friends their # 2 jump, and so the same result will occur ( new jumpers)....
HOWEVER,,, give a person a video of Jump # 1... and since our videos are so good:D and realistic
and capture the skydive so vividly,,, I promise you that most people will defer to spend the time and $$$$$ to make a second or third jump..... since they can simple "re-Make" their First jump over and over again... by watching it on a big screen....
hell... i and I'm sure many of you, likely made hundreds if not thousands of jumps before ever seeing a video of ourselves skydiving... Why is it that today the first and only jump a person ever makes must be turned into cinematic history...
Let's make the moment last a while.... let's make the person HAVE to return,,, IF they want a video...It's like giving away the "honeymoon festivities" .... on the first date.....capice'???
So folks.. How do you each feel about this???
Are we shooting ourselves in the foot in terms of student return rate,, by giving them a video on # 1 ???? or should we "encourage" returnees,, by offering the "cherry on top of the ice cream" ONLY if they are willing to pony up the effort and the dollars to do a T 2 ?????.. those who really wanna skydive are going to return anyway... but those who are only "in it for the video" should have to double up their financial commitment.....if our staff is going to go the extra mile for them...
Comments???? Good Idea? Bad Idea?...thanx

Does youre DZ not offer some sort of "deal" on the 2nd tandem if it is purchased the same day (to be jumped on a later day)?

We offer $99 for the second tandem if its bought the same day (they have a year to use it), I talk to my students about it while we're under canopy, before landing, then again after landing. Needless to say, we have a really good return rate, and a lot of those folks are getting video on their first tandem as well.

Honestly, I think all you'll end up doing is making it so you don't make much money anymore.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think you'd be shootin' yourself in the foot there buddy. You're forgetting one HUGE point - customers go where they can get what they want. If you don't even offer the service they might just go somewhere else - I would. The vast majority of people only want to do one tandem - they don't have an interest in pursuing a very expensive and dangerous hobby but, they do want to get a taste. Now, you of all people should understand that if you take away their opportunity to get video/pictures on the first jump, you're taking away your opportunity to make the extra money on the off-chance they might return for a second jump - Never turn down a good thing my friend. If someone wants to pay you to film their skydive - DO IT :ph34r:

I agree with Mike.

If you are in an area where you have competition, they very well might make this a selling point to jump with them... "We allow you to get a video of your FIRST skydive..."

Make no mistake. Even if a customer is referred to you by word-of-mouth, they often still "shop around."

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Actually you would severley hurt yourself. A tandem video is worth more than any bit of advertising that your dropzone can do on radeo or in print. This video is continuous first hand advertisement for your dz and as most people will only do one tandem realistically, then not having these video's out there would drop your incoming tandem rate. Our dz knows this, in fact, we ride for free if we are doing a spec video regardless of whether we sell the video or not because it is such a good thing to have video's out there.

~Chachi

Jimmy,

I think the choice of customers to want to do it again has nothing to do with having bought video or not. (other than they spent the money they had left on the video so there is no money left to do another tandem)

There will only be a certain amount of people that like it so much they want to do it again.
My dad for example, he absolutely loved it but when I asked him if he wanted to go again, he was like.. no, maybe in a couple years I'll do another one.

Like the other people said on here, I think you are better off offering them the video package with jump number 1, there is no better advertising for your dropzone than a good video for the customer, because he or she will show it to all their friends as soon as they get home.

Iwan

I too agree with the masses, If I was a customer and you told me I couldn't get a video of my first tandem and had to wait until my second, I would feel like you were trying to pressure me into spending more money, thats not right. I believe the people who are going to come back for more; wether it be tandems or AFF are going to return regardless of wether or not they have video, Ive had several people tell me although the enjoyed their tandem, there is NFW they were ever going to do it again, its not fair to deny them the memories encased in their video.....

Sounds like you would be gambling the money you are giving up on the video in hopes of getting it back on a second tandem that we all know most people will never do. Plus, like some of the above posters said, you need to offer the customers what they want. Remember, it's their skydive.

Instructor:
"I'm sorry, but we don't offer video of your FIRST jump. If you want that you will have to make a second tandem."

Student:
"Whats the name of that other dz down the road?"

Skydive Radio

Our DZ get a huge amount of business from people who see their friends video. We've found the more videos we do, the more referals we get.

My DZ also makes sure that the DZ's name, website, and phone number are prominently displayed in the "standard" leader footage that goes on every single tandem video.

My DZ also offers discounts for the second tandem, and that helps tremendously in bringing people back for their second. It's during their second jump that they get pitched on the rest of the progression.

Cutting video from the first jump sounds like a bad decision for all involved.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've had several people tell me although they enjoyed their tandem, there is NFW they were ever going to do it again

I agree - I've heard that very same thing many times. Much like with bungee jumping, most people just want to get a taste of what it's like. I'd say that if most'em are happy just to surviveB| (kinda like my first B.A.S.E jump from the Hilton down town):D:D:D:S

As a matter of fact - if the poor bastards knew that most of us had wiped out our life savings, quit our jobs, sold our cars, or gotten divorced just so we could hang out and play in the sky, I don't think they'd even consider coming back for more :D

We also offer the second jump if you do it the same day for only 99 as an incentive for them to keep at it and get hooked. As far as the video option goes, I am all for giving it to them and if they dont want to keep doing it then so be it.

Lets face it to some people it will be a one time deal, something they had to get out, some bet they will win, a promise made while drunk and trying to impress a girl or something along that line.

The ones that will return, wont be either discouraged or encouraged by video, regardless of wether they will go all the way or just do a tandem a year to have fun.

When I started I had my mind set in doing it and sticking with it, not wanting to do AFF I took the option to do a sort of tandem progression, and never got video till my level 8's. Of course it was cuz I was saving all I could for the jumps.

As allways I am all for choices and freedom of action.

blue skies

... thanks to all for the feedback...... and yes I guess i expected most of the replies which have been posted........While I agree that the idea may limit some of the opportunity to "sell" a video....
I am willing to stand down,,, if it means that the club will get another Tandem out of the idea,,,and with that the chance to earn the video....
I suppose that video and Tandem skydiving are made for each other,,,, and all those "one-Timers" are the proper clientele for it....
those who return will return and those who won't .... won't........
My fellow staff members most all shared the same attitude of those who have replied here....
so as far as "only shooting videos for T2's and T3's goes.........Never Mind !!!!!!:S and let's do it for people on their First Jump...........

Your logic escapes me. But I would like to offer this.

If what you are after is repeat business or long term business by having the customer return and do AFF or Tandem Progression, then invest in a short trailer on the video that illustrates:

You have just experienced the thrill of a lifetime!

You have enjoyed a small taste of the absolute freedom and exhillartation that skydiving offers!

If you want more....

.....if you truely want to fly....

.....if you want to study the art of human flight....

(Insert video snippets of student progression leading up to an awesome solo and finally a nice happy sunset load)

Something like that might be effective to recruit repeat customers

Also you can buy postcards very cheap at www.VistaPrint.com. About 3 months after their tandem, send a thank you card...

Thank you for your business. We truely enjoyed flying with you....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!