sammer

Clip-on lenses?

I was just wondering if anyone here jumps with a clip-on wide angle lens. They look like they could prevent damage to the camera should anything hit/snag the lens, but I'm just not sure how airworthy they would be. Any opinions?

It's not that I can't find any screw on lenses. It's just that I have seen a couple of cameras destroyed when the screw on lens hit something and took part of the built in lens with it. I was also thinking that maybe the clip-on lens might fit on my new Sony with the 25mm threads.

I have seen a few guys jumping the clip-on lenses here in Kansas, but I'm not sure if they had to modify them to make them stay on the camera or not. I think our camera guy uses one, I'll ask him this weekend.

All of the clip-on lenses I've seen in use are gaffed so heavily I'm certain a lens strike would still damage the camera.

It used to be an availability/price convenience. Especially with regards to the wider (.42x) lenses. Nowadays the threaded lenses are so readily available I see little advantage to a lens that I'd be worried about falling off.

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

I have seen a couple of cameras destroyed when the screw on lens hit something and took part of the built in lens with it.

I'm sure these cameras were not housed in a D-Box of some sort either:|
My other ride is the relative wind.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do seem to remember quite a bit of tape on the clip-ons I've seen.

I'm still tempted to give it a try as it might eliminate the need to buy a step up adapter for my PC-109 if it will fit. Maybe I'll see if can't borrow one this weekend and check the fit.

Thanks for the input.

Sam

I have seen a couple of cameras destroyed when the screw on lens hit something and took part of the built in lens with it.

I'm sure these cameras were not housed in a D-Box of some sort either:|

Actually it was. It was in a custom made helmet that pretty much covered the whole camera. It's just that the wide angle lenses have a tendency to hang out of the front of most enclosures.

After I saw that I decided if I ever put a camera on my helmet I would use a clip-on lens. Maybe I've just made too big an issue of it. Is it very common for cameras to break like that?

can't remeber what company but it has been mentioned here makes a lens with 25mm mounting to screw right onto your camera.. it's one of the ultra thin designs like the dimond brand lenses....... thinkit runs about 140 or so USD........

Its waycool in austrailia. Very expensive but the wet dream of the lens world.

Craig Poxon has posted on here in the past about using a 0.25 fisheye clip on lens (available for $25). He took it appart and converted the clip mechanism into a screw fitting. He's posted detailed instructions and it's apparently really easy and insainly cheap. Try searching for it.

One thing I have noted however is that the clip on lenses state that they are available for any lens size from 30-42mm.... that still aint gonna fit on your 25mm camera.

It's either a step ring or lens from waycool or reconstruct a clipon.

Its waycool in austrailia. Very expensive but the wet dream of the lens world.

Jees maybe I should change my slogan!!

We have the 25mm step rings and will be making all our lenses with a 25mm thread in the next production runs.

I had to make these step rings special in small numbers(expensive). If anybody knows where you can buy a 25mm step ring right now for $3 then I would very much like to know where so I don't have to have any more made.

Clip ons and gaffer tape YUK!

Stay Cool
http://www.waycool.com.au

Just found your website last night. Those lenses are way cool. They're small enough that I don't really think snagging/hitting stuff should be an issue with them. I went ahead and placed an order for a lens and the 25mm adapter.

Thanks for the help everyone.