napaguy99

Broken CamEye

I've got a CamEye II with a Sony DCR TRV-19. Last weekend a tragedy occurred. The tip of the connector that goes into the LANC port on the camera broke off inside the camera. I contacted the CamEye manufacturer and they can repair the CamEye for me. The problem lies with the camera. I don't know how to get that little itty-bitty tip out of the port. Anybody ever have something like this happen before? Any suggestions??

Thanks for the help!

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

Anybody ever have something like this happen before? Any suggestions??

That happened to a friend of mine with his PC-9, he pushed the tip all the way in, it fell into a cavity where those plugs are that seems to be sealed from the rest of the camera, put a new cameye on it and it works.

Not the best solution, but it did work for him.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

that happened to one of our 120's, had a good warranty and the store swapped us a new camera because they knew they could fix it, so that was easy. Sony standard repairs are like $289 or something like that, no matter what the problem is... so worse case scenario, you could ship it off for 6 weeks. You could also try taking the camera apart and getting it out yourself. Cajones fixed Crystal's camera the other night like that, took about 3 hours and we bought the tiniest phillips screwdriver set from lowe's... Don't break the ribbons thoughs...

good luck
peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

yes....the exact thing happened on my vx-1000, from a riser strike..
i wound up having to order a new Mini pc board which carries the lanc port and the headphone port..
... the tech suggested taking a straight pin or a needle and applying a small drop of super-glue to the tip... and touching it to the broken jack.....
i was skeptical, and rightfully so...[:/]... it would not pull the pin out... >:(...
I opened the case and was able to change out the part... ( it was I think, a 46 dollar parts order....)
When i need work done on the camcorders a local place handles it,,, and since I am somewhat of a "high volume customer " :P they are willing to order parts for me.... Sometimes I install 'em sometime they do....
If you have a proper sized phillips screwdriver
you may be able to open the case in order to access the lanc port mini pc board....You may be able to loosen it ( but be real delicate and be careful NOT to tear or disconnect any of the conductor tapes... which carry electric,,, to and from the port...),, And as aggiedave suggests.....THEN push the pin completely through..and reassemble
good luck o[:-)

I would like to chime in here as well. I have had 2 120's and both of the damn lanc ports have a internal broken connection. Jimmy, you seem to have some good knowledge of this area. I have taken parts off to get the the area, but since I didnt have the part on hand, I didnt want to dig any futher just for nothing. Parts seem to get smaller as you go further. Is this a common problem with the PC series? Can I fix this myself? I do have really good capabilities, but I'm not a damn nano-machine.

.... you're right to be careful...
take apart......doesn't always equate to
easy... "put back together"[:/]
and yes the parts ARE small... My cameras are bigger
TRV series and VX,,,,, for sure the PC models are smaller... In my case jose, the lanc port was right there... upon opening the back part of the camera case......so go easy... but have some confidence too...
It helps to have a couple of magnets handy as well..
Use one to hold all the tiny screws as they come out,,,, and another real small one,, to attach to your screwdriver shaft to magnetize it, and help hold the screws while you re-install them.....
The owners manuals do not show an "exploded view" diagram ,,,, so try contacting a sony rep or any
camcorder repair center near you and see if you can wrangle a few pages worth of such diagrams from them.....if nothing else,, they can help you to determine parts numbers and reference numbers,,, should you need to order something..
i agree... that the fees which some of these places charge,,,, are way too much...
sorry i am not so familiar with the PC series...

I was inside a PC-110 for a broken LANC port. It was a bear to get to. I'd be the PC-120 is similar. Lots of disassembly to get to the PCB. The LANC port itself would require good hands to de-solder and put a new one in. I was just going to order a new board for her - then she told me "oh, its still under warrenty I just thought you could fix it quicker." - I slowly put the solder sucker down and put it back together to try not to void the warrenty.

I just has this problem fixed at the local repair shop. They charged me $125 to get the tip put of my pc120. There were no parts needed but there is a lot to take apart to get to the lanc port. They even gave me the tip back (sort of like they give you the pins you have removed from broken bones I guess.) They had it back to me the next day.

William

I know you all were holding your breath waiting to find out what the conclusion to this dilemma would be. Well, I had Skytools fix the CamEye. That cost me about $20 with shipping to Sweden and it took about 2 weeks. The camera was repaired by a store in Pensacola. The place is John McDowell Electronics. They were great! They charged $65 and had it done in under 1 day. The guy that did it said he took apart the camera to remove the part. If anyone ever has this problem in the future I would recommend them. If you need the contact info let me know.

Blue Skies

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."