freeflir29

I LOVE my Diamond .3!!!!!!

After having my .3 sitting around for over a month I finally got to jump it! With the D-box cut down and such a small lens the difference in weight was IMMEDIATELY apparent. The picture it produces is great and it didn't have near the issues with having to be in your subjects face as some of the doomsayers predicted. Awesome lens and EXACTLY what you need if you jump a PC-105. BTW I have the 37MM version on a step ring. I got that one cause they said it was a bit wider view than the smaller size. There's NO other lens I would rather have!

Hey that's great to hear Clay. It makes me want to get one even more.

Can you clarify this part " I got that one cause they said it was a bit wider view than the smaller size." ?

Wider than smaller size ??

thx, Matt

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Wider than smaller size ??

I think he means with the 30mm threads. I've used a PC105 with 30mm threads on a couple of inside-RW jumps and it worked very well. I've attached a couple of the better frame grabs. The little bit of black in the corner is from the camera shifting slightly in the box, not from the lense.

Comparing Trevor's footage (he uses a .3 to my .45) with my footage from the same jump. I'm beginning to think I want/need one of these .3 wide angle lenses. Where can I get one? He mentioned something about Max Cohn, but I can't find anything on the net yet (maybe I'm not looking hard enough).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I think he means with the 30mm threads.

Exactly......they come in 30MM which will screw directly onto the camera with no adapter or 37MM which uses a step ring. The web site says the 37MM gives a slightly wider frame.

Here's the two places I know of off the top of my head that sell them. As far as I know they are both the same lens in differen't packaging.

www.royal-lens.com/
www.waycool.com.au

Max Cohn used to sell them through his site at www.generationfreefly.com but it says the lens stuff has moved to Royal lens. Don't know the story on that one.

I just got mine in the mail. Can't wate to jump it this weekend. Got it from Royal. Ordered on thurs got it on sat. I must say I like it alot.
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

Can't wate to jump it this weekend. Got it from Royal. Ordered on thurs got it on sat. I must say I like it alot.

That was the other thing.........the shipping is QUICK!!!!!!! I garauntee you'll love it. If nothing else it's worth the reduction in neck strain!!! :D

Hey Clay

I received my own Diamond .3 wide angle lens this morning (pretty good customer service for getting the lens to me so fast) so I am looking forward to trying it out soon. But I have a question for you concerning focusing the lens. The limited documentation I received with the lens spoke of focusing and that I needed to do this manually (as opposed to setting the focus on infinity). And the documentation mentioned that if the lens goes out of focus that I need to focus it manually. But I can't really see myself in the middle of a skydive just signaling everyone to stop what they are doing just so that I can re-focus my lens. So how does this unit lens perform and is focusing really a mute issue?

The way I hear it's best done:

1: stick a bit of tape on the manual focus ring to stop it moving in freefall.

2: have the camera auto focus on something at the approximate distance your subject is going to be in the air (or manualy do i't if you recon you're better than the camera).

3: flick the camera back to manual focus so it wont change in the air.

Camera will now be focused on anything in front of you at that distance. Fly your body to keep the subject at the right distance.

I didn't get to try it yet (I was playing in a volleyball tournament today). But hopefully tomorrow and yes it's focused to an object that would be about 3-5 feet away from me and I have some gaffers tape to hold it in place.

I got to make a few jumps yesterday with my new Diamond .3 wide angle lens and I am very happy with it. Before while doing a dock with someone, I may have only captured their face and shoulders with my old .45 wide angle. But now I capture almost their entire body. Hmmm ... my captured video clips can only get better from here on out. :ph34r:

Anybody have WayCool's .25 (Black Eye) yet?

j

No body has them yet but the good news is we finally have them. They will be shipping as from today. Unfortunatly we have pushed the envelope a little far and the lens will be unsuitable for the PC5, 9, TRV19, 22, 33 in it's current configuration because of corner clipping. The lens is very wide and has no vignetting on the PC101, 104, 105, 110, and should be good on the PC120, 330 and the 109. We will be testing with these and other cameras over the next few days once we clear the initial orders.

Stay Cool
http://www.waycool.com.au

"Unfortunatly we have pushed the envelope a little far and the lens will be unsuitable for the PC5, 9, TRV19, 22, 33 in it's current configuration because of corner clipping."
Does the vignetting show up on regular TVs and monitors, or is it just apparent on screengrabs and internet type video?
And can the vignetting be solved by 'nudging' in the zoom a little?
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Yes on the older camera models it shows on standard the standard frame. It can be solved by nudging the zoom. It's difficult to make a lens so wide that will work with all camera models because the focal length varies so much from the older models to the newer ones. I had this lens designed mainly for use with the newer Sony cameras. The computer screen vignette was not a design concern since this lens is primarily for video and TV use.
Note: On the TRV models it is only slight and only needs very slight zooming.

Stay Cool
http://www.waycool.com.au

Thanks for the swift response. Cheers!

One reason for the Q was to highlight the difference between what the camera sees (frame grabs and internet video) and what is shown on TV screens.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

So yesterday I was at the DZ, and "Richie" the designer of the Diamond .3 showed me the newest lens he's made.

A .2

It's wild. I don't know if he's planning on marketing it, but it's got nice quality as far as I can tell.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.